Just did something....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I have the '05 Freestar with middle row sliding bench. Leila's Husky has been in the center of the middle -- usually back, but sometimes pulled up for her comfort (emotional and/or to prop feet on my armrest). So I was freaked out when she started asking to sit in the 3rd row & my reaction was to fold the 3rd row flat :rolleyes: Didn't last long until she asked again & I replied that I didn't want her so far from me.

When I took her seat out to clean (I only do this seasonally unless there's a bodilly fluids disaster, LOL) she asked again -- so I tried it out. I installed the Husky in the center of the 3rd row & she sat in it -- now I know the 3rd row is designed differently than the front but I was SHOCKED that Leila's toes touch the floor while seated in the Husky :eek: She loved that! She's been complaining about her dangling legs for months & now they touch the floor *YAY* for her....

She refuses to move.

I don't like the middle row in the way.

I had a co-worker help me take it out & store it in the barn. I really do like the extra room we have now -- it is like a whole room of space available now for taking off coat & getting settled in warmly (no more muddiness on my front seatbacks now, too). But she's sooooo far away & now I'm starting to feel paranoid about the winter coming.

Please someone tell me that I haven't just increased our risk of crashing by having the weight redistributed like this? I didn't think of it before :eek:

ADS

Tara

Well, I don't know anything about improper weight distribution or anything....
My initial reaction is 'ah, it'll be ok' But, I have no facts or proof for ya ;)
I just wanted to comment on the extra room..wow! That sounds awesome!!

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
I'm inclined to think that the extra weight over the rear wheels could be a good thing. But then I've grown up with my father having a pick up with rear wheel drive---so we HAD to load his bed with weight for traction.

Susan

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
My Dad used to put 50 lb. bags of sand or kitty litter in the trunk of his and my old front wheel drive cars to help keep the rear of the car from fish tailing so easily on snowy roads, lol. And you could sprinkle the sand or kitty litter under your tires for added traction if you got stuck on icy roads or driveways, etc. :) It came in handy when I had a Grand Am with performance tires with awful grip and handling on snow.

skaterbabs

My Dad used to put 50 lb. bags of sand or kitty litter in the trunk of his and my old front wheel drive cars to help keep the rear of the car from fish tailing so easily on snowy roads, lol. And you could sprinkle the sand or kitty litter under your tires for added traction if you got stuck on icy roads or driveways, etc. :) It came in handy when I had a Grand Am with performance tires with awful grip and handling on snow.

We used to do that with my '91 Hyundai Exel hatchback and my '88 Nissan van too. Especially with the Excel (since it was SOOO light) it really made a difference in icy weather.

cantech

Tiffany,

I wouldn't be too worried about the weight distribution myself but here are a couple of other things I'd be contemplating...

1) Are you going to be distracted from driving by having her that far away?

2) How close to the rear of the vehicle is she? If you were involved in a rear impact is her seat far enough away from the back to reasonably expect her to be safe from intrusion?

3) Are you now using the new found space in the middle for cargo?(I'd bet not knowing you, but we're all capable of missing the obvious from time to time ;-))

Hope this doesn't create new reasons to obsess.

Belinda

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks all -- I was actually thinking about the 15 passanger vans (too much weight in the back being dangerous)....

Anyway, no I only use the designated cargo area for storage which is quite a bit of distance from the rear door/window ;) & now I'm actually less distracted -- she's not kicking at me anymore & keeps herself busier now :rolleyes: :cool:

cantech

Tiffany,

I figured you had thought it through :) I try to give the girls choices on where they sit as long as their safety isn't compromised!

Belinda

rachel3612

Senior Community Member
I think its great that you finally found a solution to the dangling feet! Having the extra room where you live is a great thing. Open the sliding door, both get in, close the door then take of jackets and stuff, buckle up then you can climb to the front seat. I do this in the rain and it would be much easier if the kids were in the third row rather than the middle. We rarely wear jackets and only Liam needs to remove his, Hannah is in a booster and her jacket is thin enough. Cold to us is low 50's. LOL

My only concern would be too close to the back in a rear end collision but all vans are different in space and I have no clue how much space yours has. LOL I have seen some third rows that I would never put my kids in.

Rachel
cpst

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I was glad to have the extra convenience space today when I picked Leila up from school & she's already wearing snow pants :p

I haven't measured the space in the back, but it's about as long as my arm -- I'd feel better with her in the middle for safety, but if there's nothing really *wrong* with this then it's working out for sanity :rolleyes: :D

B

bigred

I have thought a lot about doing this, too. Glad to know it works!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC