OT totally - our day today

Lea_Ontario

Okay - so we hit the mall first.

Picked up some rescue remedy, and some Colour Wonder markers and paper, and had lunch.

Then to the hospital.

Got Boo into a wheelchair (he likes them), and checked in with the clinic - we were about 20 minutes early.

The kids played with thier new colouring paper (Dora stuff even), and there was a Thomas Train book that Boo looked at for a while. I gave Boo a few drops of the rescue remedy while we waited.

Called his name, and I went back with him but let the staff know that DH was in the waiting room in case they did need new X-rays.

Boo started crying as soon as we went into the examining room, and by that - I mean sobbing and shaking kind of crying.

An orderly came in and loaded the original X-rays up onto a computer screen, which calmed Boo down for a moment (down to a normal-kid type cry). Then he pointed out to me where the break is - the word "break" sent Boo back into screaming mode.

I explained to the orderly then that Boo has Asperger's - he looked a little lost - so I refined that as "mild autism" and that Boo wouldn't likely be a calm and quiet patient, as he was very scared. The orderly said he'd let the doc know as well, and left.

I gave Boo another few drops of Rescue Remedy then, and we got onto the bed.

Last edited:
ADS

Lea_Ontario

The doctor came in and looked at the old X-rays and said we didn't need any new ones, just the splint off and a regular (non-weight bearing) cast on for a few weeks. A "technician" comes in to remove the splint - Boo is shaking again, but seemed interested in the camera, so I got a photo of the technician cutting the splint off.

The foot is still swollen, and the bruising looks green, but it's a lot better looking than it was just 2 weeks ago. His calf looks tiny to me though - already like a chicken leg.

Boo asked to have a green cast on, and the tech left to get the supplies.

First the little sock thing - this seemed kind of painful to Boo, I think because it had to slide on over the foot.

Then a layer of something that looks like cotton batten.

Last edited:

Lea_Ontario

First layer of the new cast is just the off-white fiberglass - looks green here though.

Letting the first layer set a bit, and putting some pressure on the bottom of Boo's foot to get a better angle for the ankle here.

Now for the fun stuff - Boo's in a good mood as soon as he sees that he really *IS* getting a green cast on. The tech was FAST doing it too - I couldn't get a 1/2 done picture. There's a full layer of the green on top of a full layer of the neutral - it's a thick cast.

And Boo showing off his new "fancy sock" to me at the end - in a good mood finally.

He has to have the cast on for *4 weeks*.

Well, I'm 36 weeks. Add 4 weeks, and he might just have to wear it a few days longer than anticipated !

Last edited:

Yoshi

Wow, he really did great!!!! I'm glad it went well. Hope he heals quickly!

How are you doing- the baby is due quite soon, right?:) Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Tina

Yoshi

OOPS...Sorry about the assumption about Canadian holidays!!! :eek: Silly me! That's ok, I get it all the time, DH is Jewish and people are always asking my DD, "What are you going to ask Santa for this year?":rolleyes: She's like, "Who???"

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Aw! I think it's so neat how much kids will endure when there's a camera involved :rolleyes: ;) Glad to hear he did so well & likes the new cast too! Thanks for sharing the pics & GOOD LUCK with the timing.... :eek: LOL

Lea_Ontario

Aw! I think it's so neat how much kids will endure when there's a camera involved :rolleyes: ;) Glad to hear he did so well & likes the new cast too! Thanks for sharing the pics & GOOD LUCK with the timing.... :eek: LOL

The camera really was a godsend today !

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Sending quick healing vibes to your little guy, and some extra vibes for good timing with the new baby, too.

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Aww... poor Owen. What a scary thing for your little guy to go through. Honestly, I would probably totally flip out at the word 'break' too, but maybe thats just me?! At least you were right there with him the whole time taking pictures! ;) I can't imagine what it must be like to be you right now! So, its a non-walking cast, right? It must be a little difficult for you to haul him around right now with a nice big baby belly too! How do you do it?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC