After an accident...

U

Unregistered

Hi!

My husband was 'rearended' yesterday. Our minivan wasn't yet moving (he was waiting for the green light) and he estimate the other person hit him at 30km/h. I was told we should change all our cars seats. Which mean 1 RF-FF, 2 FF-Booster and 1 no-back booster. The kids were safe at home when it happened.

So, do you agree about the 'we should change all the seats?'

Thank you!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Sorry for the delay...

Well, insurance company reimburse only if a car seat tech decide they need to be replaced, and insurance company mentionned it means visible wear only. Great.

Barbara Baines

CPST Instructor
No, the best way is to get hold of Barb at TC, she has a letter that can be sent to the insurance company which works. Best thing to do is register and then pm me and I can supply you the information as how to contact her.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Agreed.

Rest assured, you WILL get your seats replaced by insurance.

Another option would be to ask the insurance company to write you a letter accepting all future responsibility/liability if the carseat is to fail in any way.

-Nicole.

Aristiana

Here I am... Allport, I sent you the MP you requested.

Another option would be to ask the insurance company to write you a letter accepting all future responsibility/liability if the carseat is to fail in any way.

I have a feeling I will either never receive it or I will hear something like 'Don't make me laugh'. Do I need to mention I hate them? I can't wait to change to another company...

marciemp

Tell your insurance agent that Transport Canada recommends that all carseats be replaced after an accident because they could fail in a future accident due to the stress. Then ask them for the letter accepting all future responsibility/liability if the carseat is to fail in any way. All I had to do was tell my agent that Transport Canada recommends the seats be changed and he told me how to go about it.

U

Unregistered

I was in a front end crash which required $4,000 worth of repairs to my car. My insurance company said the carseat was fine because my daughter was not in it (Britax Marathon, RF, for a 1yr old 24lb 33in) Britax has that safety feature that shows if the threads rip under pressure then it needs to be replace. We checked those spots, everything was intact. Today I went to a carseat clinic, and mentioned the accident to the officer, and they nearly confiscated the carseat from me! I was shocked! I told him I needed to use it to pick up my daughter in an hour, but would contact my insurance company immediately. He said he would personally follow up with me in a few days to make sure it has been replaced. He basically explained it like this:

"When you are under a stressful situation, you don't always see the stress on your body, but it takes a toll internally, and the same thing happens with a car seat. But the next time a stressful situations comes about, you might just have a heart attack, or in terms of the carseat, it just won't protect the way it should"

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Excellent officer! You're very lucky to have been properly informed by him--it's a shame that your insurance company has been negligent in replacing a crashed restraint. I wonder if that officer was one of the ones who trained with us recently..? Was it OPP or Peel?

-Nicole.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC