s/o of new Parkway thread

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Assuming a booster fits properly, at what point would you worry less about submarining? 40 pounds? 80? Other?

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I thought I'd read that too, but then I wondered if it was wishful thinking. My daughter loves to wear dresses and hates the clip between her legs. I would absolutely make her deal with it if it was significantly safer, but I was hoping that at 50# (and with a fairly sturdy rear end/low center of gravity) she'd be okay in a regular booster -- plus, the Monterey she's been using for the last week-ish has a deep and slightly angled seat that looks like it would help keep her in there.

barnmama25

Personally I would go by the childs maturity level. My son is over 50lbs @ 4y/o and he still has a problem when he is tired to not slouch and squirm down into his booster seat. So if he were doing that and we got into a car accident he would submerge under the belt, regardless of his weight.

Last edited:

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My daughter is seven and I think she's ready to be boostered -- we've been working up to this for a while. I'm not terribly worried about her behavior, but just wanted to know if submarining is still a real concern at her size.

barnmama25

Oh she's a tiny thing isn't she! Sorry I just read your stats for her. I think she will be fine in a booster seat, especially since she is old enough to know how to sit properly.
Now if only this new Parkway would come out!! But that's not happening till close to summers end, and well summer just got to MN so I dont want it over yet!

mommaon112903

I worry about when Josef falls asleep and slouches in a booster. He tends to schooch his bottom down when he is sleeping in his Regent, so of course I worry about this in a booster.

He is flirting with 40lbs and will not be 50lbs for a LONG time, so now I get to decide either the new Parkway or another Monterey.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I think 40 pounds is a good minimum recommendation, but I am not a fan of doing the minimums with my kids, and they don't get to ride in boosters full time until 6 years AND 50 pounds - It's just a more sturdy age/size for boosters IMO. Dd was 50 pounds on her 6th birthday, and ds is lighter, he will probably not hit 50 pounds until he is 7ish.

Booster training shouldn't start until at least 4 AND 40, even if a child is 5 or 6 I hesitate to think it's a good idea under 40 pounds.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC