Question Britax Roundabout 50 or Graco My Ride 65?

piano_mama

My 15 month old will soon be outgrowing her infant seat (She is tiny for her age), so its time for me to be thinking about getting her another seat. I have been doing a lot of research, and I feel like I have it narrowed down to the new Britax Roundabout 50 or the new Graco My Ride 65. The Graco has higher weight limits for both RF and FF, but I'm not sure that will matter, as my DD has consistently remained, since birth, in the 3rd to 5th percentile in weight and the 10th percentile in height. I would eventually like to get two seats, one for my car and one for DH's car. His car is an older Subaru Forrester, and has a very small cab space, the less room it takes up, the better when RF. I was even thinking of getting one of each for that reason, but I was wondering, is the new Roundabout 50 more compact when RF like the old Roundabout, or is it bulkier? Any thoughts or suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated!

ADS

BookMama

Senior Community Member
is the new Roundabout 50 more compact when RF like the old Roundabout, or is it bulkier?

The new Roundabout 50 is the same size as the big Britax convertibles - Marathon, Boulevard, Decathlon - so it will fit the same as those seats RF. (Why they named it the Roundabout 50 is a bit of a mystery. :rolleyes: )

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The My Ride, at least in the store, is pretty big front to back. Not the biggest by any means, not like the Radian, but I can see it being difficult to fit in smaller back seats. It's super reclined and the shell is tall enough that it's pretty darn big. Like I said, fine in your average car, but if you're concerned about cramped quarters then you might want to do the MR in your car and the RA50 in your DH's.

How heavy is your DD? The True Fit might be nice since you can remove the headrest to 22 pounds. She may be small enough to be below the shell of the small portion, and light enough, that you get a tiny seat now, and then a bigger seat when she's bigger, all out of one seat.

Wendy

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I just got the Roundabout 50 for my husbands car and I LOVE it already!!!It is about the same size as my Britax Boulevard. The specs are almost identical to the Marathon. I chose the RA 50 over the My Ride because it can be tethered rear facing and thats a plus for me!

piano_mama

The My Ride, at least in the store, is pretty big front to back. Not the biggest by any means, not like the Radian, but I can see it being difficult to fit in smaller back seats. It's super reclined and the shell is tall enough that it's pretty darn big. Like I said, fine in your average car, but if you're concerned about cramped quarters then you might want to do the MR in your car and the RA50 in your DH's.

How heavy is your DD? The True Fit might be nice since you can remove the headrest to 22 pounds. She may be small enough to be below the shell of the small portion, and light enough, that you get a tiny seat now, and then a bigger seat when she's bigger, all out of one seat.

Wendy
Thanks for your input! My DD is 18.8 pounds, so she could still fit into the true-fit without the headrest. That's a good suggestion....one I hadn't thought of. Also, I have been looking a bit into the Sunshine Kids Radian 80. Do you know anything about that seat? People seem to say that its compact, but do you know if its compact when rear facing, or is it only compact because its narrow? Thanks again!

Last edited:

DahliaRW

It's compact because it is narrow. It's hard to install more upright than 45 degrees rfing (depends on your car) and takes up a lot of room front to back. Though I do love my radian!

dhardawa

I'd get the Roundabout 50. The rear facing tether is a seller for me. Although, if you can wait for the True Fit Premiere, that would be a great option too.

emandbri

I wouldn't let the forward facing weight limit keep you from getting the roundabout 50. The my ride and roundabout 50 have harness slots about the same height and almost all kids would get too tall for the my ride before 65 lbs anyway.

My almost 6 year old got too tall for the marathon this past winter and is also too tall for the my ride and is 48 lbs and 48 inches.

For such a tiny child I would choose the roundabout 50. If you had a heavier child would say a my ride.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC