? For Marathon/Boulevard owners...

SavsMom

When using your seat rear facing how many of you used the HUGS?

I ask because I got a new harness set for our Boulevard and since I have to take the whole seat apart anyways I am wondering if you find it easier to adjust the harness without the HUGS on rear facing - if its easier to get a snug fit I am going to leave them off, but if it doesn't make much of a difference I will just put them back on so I don't have to worry about losing them etc.

ADS

bree

Car-Seat.Org Ambassador
I had always left the HUGS on my Marathon and Boulevard until recently. I had to replace my Marathon's harness (because of fraying) a few months ago, so I left the HUGS off then. I liked the fit better for daughter without them. Then, I had to replace my son's Boulevard's buckle, which required replacing the whole harness set, and I left the HUGS off. Again, I like the fit better without them. It's not a huge difference, but there is a small one. I wouldn't go out of my way to remove the HUGS, but since they have to come off anyways, I decided to leave them off.

ravekiss

We have a Blvd and the hugs are on only because I'm too lazy to remove the harness to remove them. They dont bother me.

SavsMom

I had to replace the whole harness set as well, and have always had a hard time getting the harness snug (with the HUGS on) -so I think I will leave them off and see if its better (since the seat is taken apart right now anyway). Thanks for the info.

I had always left the HUGS on my Marathon and Boulevard until recently. I had to replace my Marathon's harness (because of fraying) a few months ago, so I left the HUGS off then. I liked the fit better for daughter without them. Then, I had to replace my son's Boulevard's buckle, which required replacing the whole harness set, and I left the HUGS off. Again, I like the fit better without them. It's not a huge difference, but there is a small one. I wouldn't go out of my way to remove the HUGS, but since they have to come off anyways, I decided to leave them off.

natysr

I used the hugs rearfacing.

We we first switched to a convertible, we had a roundabout which does not have hugs. But, it was crashed when Jordan was 22 months and 23ish pounds...then we switched to a Marathon. I didn't have any trouble with the HUGS. I can't say whether or not I would have removed them if we had used that seat when he was younger/smaller. but at almost 2 years and 23ish pounds...and up..they have never been a problem for us.

amyd

My HUGS are off. I couldn't get a nice smooth fit with the harness with them on & DS thought they were a chew toy:rolleyes:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I always left Piper's on. Her Advantage didn't have any, and when we switched to the Wizard at just over two years old she was big enough that it made no difference.

Wendy

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
I always left the HUGS on our Marathon and Blvd. for rear facing. They didn't seem to interfere with harness snugness so I left them on. This was also probably due to not using either of those seat models rear facing until my long torsoed kids were toddlers and had outgrown other smaller seats. DD2 had outgrown her Latch Loc 22 and SS1 by height before we switched her to the Marathon and Blvd. In the case of DD1, by the time we got our first Marathon, she had already pretty much outgrown a couple of smaller convertible seats by height - a Century Accel, the previous name for the Graco ComfortSport, and a Britax Roundabout.

AtTheSouthDam

I took them off when DD2 was riding in the MA because she disliked them and i got a tighter fit with them. DD1 used the MA with the hugs on because she was FF of course.

Mama Jo

I had initially taken them off because it's easier to get the harness tight with them off. But I occasionally play musical carseats and use the BV for another kid who's FF. It became more of a hassle to constantly take them off and put them back on so now I leave them on. If I had a MA where I would be rethreading it anyway for the different kids, I'd take them off for RF and stick them in the tether pocket.

munchkin

I like the fit for little ones without the HUGS. Eli moved from the FPSVD to the MA when he was around 6 months, so it was better without the HUGS. But now that Eli is older/bigger when I change covers on it I will put the HUGS back on. Especially, since the one time I forgot the HUGS, I needed them for FF.

Melizerd

I used the HUGS on my MA rear facing the whole time he was RFing. I started using it at 4 months old.

Maedze

I took those suckers off the day I found out I could. It's much easier to tighten and get a secure fit (Wizard and old-style BV)

Blondie87

I always left them on until A. She is so tiny I have to put the headrest at the lowest position, so it was hard to get the straps as tight as I would have liked with the HUGS. Now I think I like it better without them!

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
We have a Blvd and the hugs are on only because I'm too lazy to remove the harness to remove them. They dont bother me.

:yeahthat: Except I have 2 Marathons. DS is a big boy so we have never had any issues. I may have if he were smaller.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC