Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

poor head and trunk control- 5 y.o

What a great forum and resource for caretakers and medical professionals! I need help with car seat ideas for a child who has very little head or trunk strength. If you sit the child upright, her head falls to her chest. Her measurements are as follows: thigh depth 10", back height to top of shoulders- 16.5", back height to top of head- 22.5" and the child weighs 40 lbs.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Melissa

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: poor head and trunk control- 5 y.o

I don't have SN experience, but have seen the Merritt Roosevelt seat mentioned around here: http://eztether.com/index.html
    It comes with a head cap that velcroes to the headrest. I think you need a prescription and it's probably quite a bit of money.

I'm sure there are other options, but I will let others answer.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

The Roosevelt is about $900 with a minimum height of 30."

Though I don't know the harness height specs of the My Ride 65 (Graco), it may be worth considering because the forward-facing mode is quite reclined. That seat is about $150 and is not a 'special needs' seat.

It may also be worth looking at the Traveller Plus El by Britax. It's about $600 and does have nice bilateral head and trunk supports...but it's more inclined than the My Ride 65.

A couple other options:
    -importing a foreign seat that allows rear-facing to longer limits (requires an approval process through NHTSA...or you could use it illegally)
    -Getting the child fitted for a WC-19 approved wheel chair that offers proper support for the child...and then using it in a wheel chair van.

Good luck!

Carseat Crazy

The Columbia SN seats have lots of extra cushions in them, that you can put in at the hip, along the ribs, and at the head. I'm pretty sure the last time I used one there was a velcro band that you could connect between the 2 headrest pieces to keep the head back, but the kids I worked with had enough recline in the seat to not slump when the head pillows were in.

It's not as expensive (though I think it's at least $500) and many families have had it reimbursed by health insurance. I never had a problem getting it installed, and it fits on a Pogon stroller nicely.
    Lisa, mama to L (6 yrs, 44#, 50" Regent/Parkway SG), E (4 yrs, 35#, 43" FF in a Radian/Como), and R (4 mo, 18#, 26" riding in a Wizard/Blvd)

Yes, the Columbia is an option, too. If they decide to go that route, make sure they are able to confirm that the seat is compatible with their vehicle. The Columbia does NOT allow the buckle or buckle stalk of the vehicle's seatbelt to touch the metal frame bars of the seat...And this is a problem in a lot of vehicles.
    On the plus side, the smaller Columbia (2000) is FAA approved if they need to travel.

Oh, and I forgot to add...what i would really suggest is that the family get in touch with a CPST in their area who has had the additional training in special needs. It's very helpful to be able to 'see' the kid...and it's possible that a special needs tech would have some 'training' seats available for them to try with the child and the family's vehicle.
    Check out:
    https://ssl13.cyzap.net/dzapps/dbzap...AFEKIDSCERTSQL

And then do a search for your area and select "Special Needs" in the "Extra Training" section.
    Hope that helps!