new ford concept van?

ADS

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Ugh, ugh, ugh! Talk about screwed up priorities!

Dear Automakers,

I'm a mom. I drive a minivan for a reason: I have too many kids to fit in a sedan. I want a car that is 1) safe, 2) efficient, and 3) reliable. I own plenty of strollers. I'm not buying a minivan to get one more. I don't need goo dispensers, scooters, or built-in awnings. I do need plenty of room for my 4 kids (and a friend or two on occasion) and the stuff that goes with them. (Note, I already have the stuff; I don't need more of it.) If you want to be truly groundbreaking, how about an 8-passenger vehicle that gets 50 MPG?

Sincerely,

Qarin

To be fair, I like the built-in awning. I also like under-floor storage, but I'd never put the stroller there (when we used a stroller, it was usually the FIRST thing I needed to get out, because all the other crap, plus a child, needed to be loaded into it). I also use my van as a four seater, often, either with the third row folded forward or with one or both of the middle row seats removed (I LOVE it with the passenger side middle row seat removed- that's my ideal configuration), but really like the option to be able to carry more people- I wouldn't like having what is essentially a tall station wagon.

What's with the barrier between the front and back seats? There are certainly times when I'd appreciate that, but mostly I kind of like having easy conversational access to my kids... :)

Anyway, it's a concept car, and it does touch on some of How I Use My Vehicle, but for the most part I haven't wished that all those things could be built in (scooters (though a good storage place for ours would be appreciated!), lotions, cleaners, PDA (I don't even like the idea of factory-installed GPS's or DVD players...), etc).

Maedze

It's a concept car. It means some goofy, creative types got to play and have fun, and this is what they came up with. It's adorable :love:

THIS car is not going to come to market, but various components might be seen whenever Ford decides to start making a minivan again.

I personally think the non-slip floor is genius. You get the same floor in ambulances. You know what you do when things get a little juicy? Pull out your stretcher and stick a hose in there and go to town. Can you imagine never having to vacuum or scrub car floor upholstery again?

The floor storage for a stroller is silly. The stroller is the first thing you want when you open a trunk, and if it's in the floor, it's going to be buried by everything else :ROTFLMAO:

I really don't need or want scooters in the back of my car, but wouldn't an attachment that could secure, say, strollers or kids' bikes be a cool little feature?

I'd also like to see completely independent seats in rows rather than benches or 60/40 splits. It would make child seat installations much easier.

I'd love to see Ford work with the ideas on this and reintroduce a really GOOD family minivan, with LATCH and top tether in all seating positions (and obviously more than 5 seats)

Jennifer mom to my 7

But It is coming...the transit connect that is, not that particular version "just" yet. THey are starting marketing as a fully customizable company van.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/transitconnect/?referrer=http://www.ford.com&glbcmp=ford|home

They have them in the UK. Plus a longer version. The buzz is asking why they took so long to bring them over.

http://www.ford.co.uk/Commercialvehicles

It looks like they are taking stuff from the dodge sprinter, and how it caters to small business/delivery companies.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
It's a concept car. It means some goofy, creative types got to play and have fun, and this is what they came up with. It's adorable :love:

THIS car is not going to come to market, but various components might be seen whenever Ford decides to start making a minivan again.

That's my problem with it. Ford's "creative types" think that a built-in stroller would be really cool? :eek:

The washable interior is kinda neat. I liked that aspect of Honda's Element. I get the feeling moms will be hosing their interiors out a lot, what with the lotion dispensers on the wall, and all.

strollerfreak

Senior Community Member
Oh I know the Transit is coming...as of right now they are planning to move the Escape so that all production of it will be in one location, and the Transit will be built here in KC.

Supposedly. Least that's the last thing that they told DH...I guess 2012 is the last year that Escape will be built here in KC.

But l9keeveryone has said...that is a concept version...whuch means that 99% of the things shown on it are for show only and won't ever come to frition.

(ugh lots of typos...kid sleeping on me)

Maedze

That's my problem with it. Ford's "creative types" think that a built-in stroller would be really cool? :eek:

The washable interior is kinda neat. I liked that aspect of Honda's Element. I get the feeling moms will be hosing their interiors out a lot, what with the lotion dispensers on the wall, and all.

Good point about the lotion dispensers :ROTFLMAO:

I get the feeling Ford's creative types are somewhat anal retentive single, childless men. The interior of the car sort of looks like a guy's dream garage :ROTFLMAO:

Chex

I get the feeling Ford's creative types are somewhat anal retentive single, childless men. The interior of the car sort of looks like a guy's dream garage :ROTFLMAO:

They are. DH used to work for Ford (not in Engineering, though) and I think you hit the nail on the head. They obviously didn't talk to any moms before making this vehicle.

WhatAboutPuppy

It seems like they had to top my Element on weird seating. Like mini-vans and my Element got together... what the heck?? Who needs a van with 3 back seats?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC