should I get a car seat check??

MJHY27

I just got a new true fit for my 2.5 yo and got it installed and looking good but now im wondering if I should go through a car seat check? is this standard practice everytime you get a new seat you havent used before??

ADS

Mommy0608

It's always a good idea to get a second pair of eyes to check your installation. Even the most well-meaning, thorough parents can miss something. It's nothing to feel bad about. When we know better, we do better.

Either you'll get confirmation that you've done everything correctly which is nice for peace of mind, or you'll find out that there's something that could be done differently... either way, you'll leave with your child riding safely. :thumbsup:

MJHY27

thanks, I think i will try and get a check tomorrow morning. We dont have a lot of checkpoints around my parts, the only place w/in 100 miles is the local hospital and they only have one certified nurse I think, hope she's working tomorrow!

sunnymw

If not you can always take pictures of your installation from several angles and post them to the "installations and technical questions" section of the forum, and all the techs here will help as much as possible :)

MustangMama

I always do just to be on the safe side. There is always a chance that I might have missed something in the manual or something in my car manual and a tech might catch it. Heck, I would love to get my car seat checked by someone everytime I have to re-do it but I just don't have time. :whistle:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I always do just to be on the safe side. There is always a chance that I might have missed something in the manual or something in my car manual and a tech might catch it. Heck, I would love to get my car seat checked by someone everytime I have to re-do it but I just don't have time. :whistle:

Ooh, that would annoy me to no end. Other than new seats I really dislike repeat customers. Means either I missed something, I didn't explain it well, or they just really don't get it. But our jobs are to teach you to do it properly so you don't need to have it reinspected, not do an installation service. And if you hang out here, chances are you're golden. :)

For a new seat, especially if it's something like going from an infant seat to a convertible, or going from rear to forward, I think it's great to get another pair of eyes on it. If it's a new seat but no drastic switch after a while you kind of know the little bits that we look for in a check, and it's less important to get it checked with every change. If you have four kids and you've been doing carseats for 10 years, then my paltry six years of experience aren't going to add up, if you've been educated and hanging out here along the way. KWIM? I say less important, not unimportant. But if you feel confident, and you've read your manual and the car's manual, and you remember what the tech said when they showed you how to do the last seat (and they knew a locking clip from a lockoff), then you're probably ok. But there's no harm in getting a second opinion. If you do go and get it checked after every switch, don't call the same tech over and over again, though. :) They might either ask to be put on staff, or just get upset. hehe

Wendy

MJHY27

ok, i'm going to post some pictures on the install part of this board and then if anyone thinks it looks a little screwy i'll do an IRL check

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC