Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

radian install on plane

we will be flying the end of the month and have his radian to install on the plane. i have read it is easy to do, but are there any suggestions on location? window/aisle/middle? what is easiest? any info would be appreciated as i want to avoid spending a long time messing with it on the plane. TIA!
    -Erica, mom to Jackson

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: radian install on plane

In almost all airline carriers, the carseat needs to be installed by the window so that it does not block anyone's access to the aisle in case of an emergency. The radian does not install well rearfacing, so plan on switching it to forward facing mode while waiting for the airplane to arive. Check out the instructions for installing the seat using a lapbelt forward facing and possibly practice doing that in your vehicle prior to your trip (if you have a lap belt seating position in your car). You shouldn't need a seatbelt extender on the plane like you might with the britax seats forward facing.

When installing on the plane, recline the plane's seat all the way while getting the radian fastened in with the seatbelt. Once you think you have a good install, raise the plane's seat back upright to give you an even tighter install.
    Katy

Senior Community Member InternationalMama's Avatar

I haven't personally installed a Radian on a plane, but I found this thread awhile back that I thought would be helpful to you. There is a pretty detailed explanation in one of the posts:

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=36246

Also, many people have said you wouldn't be able to RF a Radian on a plane unless you were in the bulkhead and even then it might be difficult. (Just FYI, you can only sit in the bulkhead with a car seat if it is not an exit row.) So as the OP said, FF is probably the way to go for the plane.

Carseat Crazy

perfect! thanks so much. i was wondering if the buckle would have to be in the belt path. and i knew it would have to be FF but that actually makes it easier since i wont have to mess with the latch straps or the safe stop since he is rear facing in the car. and even better he uses the same slots for RF and FF right now!
    -Erica, mom to Jackson