rf to ff

blessings567

My triplets are 2 1/2 rf in Britax Marathons. They range in weight from 30 to 31.5 lbs. I am pretty sure the weight limit for rf on the Marathons is 33lbs. At the time I bought the seats I bought them because of the rf weight limit, but now I know there are others out there with higher rf weight limits. Since they are hitting the weight limit soon are they old enough to change them to ff now? I can't see buying 3 more carseats (especially after buying the marathons) just for a short time. Suggestions? Thanks.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
At 2.5 years and 33 pounds I'd be perfectly comfortable, barring medical exceptions, with turning children around. Good for you for keeping them rear facing this long!

Wendy

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
You have done great rf this long. Ff when they gain another pound or so. It could be months or overnight. We have had to turn all 4 of ours around 2y b/c of weight or height. I know I did the best I could and so did you!

Jan06twinmom

Something to consider is whether you want to or need to turn all of the children at the same time. I have twins that are now almost 4 1/2 years old. My DS is a big kid (50th % for weight / 75th+ % for height) and we had to switch him to ff at 2 1/2 years old because he hit the 33lb limit on our seats. My DD is petite so she has been rf almost 2 more years. We're having to put her ff now.

DH and I thought that our DD might ask to be ff like her brother when we flipped him. However, it was actually our DS who wanted to "ride backwards like Isabelle".

Melanie

vonfirmath

When you bought the Marathons, very likely 33 pounds was about the highest out there. Most of the higher RFing limit seats have come out quite recently. (even the Marathons changed to 35 pounds RFing, in America, in February 2008)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC