Volkswagon vanagon

P

Paperthinwafer

I recently purchased a Volkswagon Vanagon. I have 3 kids, 3,5,7. My question is about the 2 rearfacing seats I have. One is behind the passenger seat the other behind the driver. I was told that because they are rear facing they do not need shoulder straps. Is this true? Should I have shoulder belts installed too? I have also read that my 5 and 7 year olds booster seats can not be put in rear facing seats. I know the turbo booster with the attatched back and headrest can not be put ther per the manufactures instructions. One is the small, light, inexpensive seat with the green cover - the name escapes now and the seat is with the child - no back or head rest (which the vanagon does have-headrests for everyone.) Can that booster be used with the rearfacing lap belt? Could it be used if I have shoulder belts installed in the rear facing spots? My 7 yr. old is 60 pounds so when carpooling he could technically ride in the rear facing seat alone with another child over 60 punds in the otherrear seat, but I planned on keeping them in boosters until 80 pounds and I want some info. to back up a decision of this importance. The rear bench has 3 lap belts. I am having 2 shoulder belts installed in the rear and I will have my kids ride 3 in a row with the 5 point harness in the middle lap space for daily riding. Long winded but wanted to get all of the details in. Thank you.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Not very familiar with Vanagon-

Some general rules-

No child restraint (boosters included) is recommended to be used in any vehicle seat that faces the rear. If the owner's manual for the vehicle allows children to be in that seat, then you should follow their recommendations for weight and height limits (if any).

Shoulder belts improve safety considerably in any seating position. Since rear-end crashes are much less common and severe, you could argue that they are not as critical in a rear-facing vehicle seat. Boosters are generally not recommended to be used unless a lap+shoulder belt is available.

It sounds like you may be a bit restricted in seating positions. In your situation, I would highly recommend a visit to an experienced technician. You may use the resources at http://www.seatcheck.net to find one in your area.

In the mean time, having shoulder belts installed for the rear seating sounds like it will be the best action for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC