Harnessing minimum recomendation

U

Unregistered

Can someone help me find a website with harnessing wt/age recomendations? I know someone who just put there 30lb 3 yo in a high back booster b/c the carseat said it could be used as a booster from 30lbs. But I thought I heard 4 and 40lbs was the recomended minimum??

ADS

MomToEliEm

Many booster seats list age 3 for a minimum to use a booster seat (typically a high back version), though some even have age 1 as a minimum along with some height requirements. Even though those are the limits placed by the manufacturer, they really are not a recommended limit for using a booster seat. Most kids are not mature enough to stay properly seated in any booster using a seatbelt until they are 4.5-5 years old (they like to lean out of position to grab a toy or dance around and not stay in the booster seat correctly). Cognitive ability associated with the necessary attention span to use a booster correctly does not even begin to develop until at least 4 years old. Also, the lapbelt portion on boosters can still fit too high on 3-4 year olds abdomens (it is suppose to be low on the child's hips) which can cause internal injuries.

Here is a good video that show some reasons why boosters aren't always the best choice in seats for young children:
Isabelle's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LFo8vVi04

Here is a website talking about benefits of keeping kids harnessed longer:
http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4211/Car_Seat_Safety:_5-point_Harness_is_Safest.htm

U

Unregistered

I think it is careless of companies to list "harnesses 20-40 pounds forward facing. belt positioning booster from 30-80"
why???

there are some careless, busy, lazy parents who get confused by that.
"well it harnesses to 40 pounds, but its just easier to use a seatbelt, and it says i can do that at 30 pounds...hmm...my kid is 34 pounds, wait til 40 or just do it now? heck switch him now"

stupid and confusing if u ask me.

im writing a letter and sending it to diff car seat companies asking them to change that.
no more harness limits of 40 pounds.
other requirements should be:
rear facing from 5-50 lbs
forward facing from 25-55 lbs
belt positioning booster from 55-100 lbs

that way, people will realize u can RF longer, and there is no overlap in numbers between harness and then booster in combo seats.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC