Ready for a booster?

U

Unregistered

My 6 year old son has been riding in a Regent in my Van. He's just moved to the top slot and he stilll has a lot of room to grow. The main problem is that I carpool 4 other Kindergateners and they all use a backless booster in my van. Some of them just use the seatbelt in their own cars. The law is 6 or 60lbs. My son has been getting embarressed for a while and saying he doesn't want to sit in a baby seat any more. The other problems is that we've just got a new van and it doesn't fit that well. It leaves the other 2 kids on the back row very squashed and if I put it in the middle row opposite the baby it makes it hard for the other kids to get in and out.
I don't know whether to start letting him ride in a HBB or even a backless booster. It would be more convenient and less embarrasing for him, but I'm worried about his safety. The new van has side curtain airbags if that makes a difference?

ADS

Maedze

Most 6 year olds can sit safely and maturely in a high back booster. I would prefer not to see a 6 year old in a backless, though. There's a maturity issue involved and most 6 year olds need the added support of the high back.

mommaon112903

My son will be six at the end of November (guess you couldn't have guessed that on your own from the s/n, lol) and he has been in a HBB since Mid-March. He does GREAT in his booster, and will be in a HHB full-time after his sixth b-day.

Some six year olds are not mature enough, but the majority are. The only way to know is to buy a booster and see what happens. Of course if your son sits nicely in his Regent, most likely he will be fine in a booster.

Is there any way you can get HBB for your son's friends? I too would not like to see a six year old in a LBB for the same reasons Maedze mentioned.

emandbri

Here is an article that says that no back boosters provided no help at all in a side impact crash. Tell the parents you "found this" on the internet and tell you are concerned about the kids being in backless boosters.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php

I would feel fine moving your son to a high back booster. My son will be 6 in Aug and has been using a booster in my dh's car, and my MIL's car for the the last 9 months and has done fine.

What kind of van do you have though? If you don't have 5 shoulder belts in the back then you need to keep him in a harness and have the seat installed in the lap belt so the other 4 kids can have shoulder belts with the boosters. You can't use a booster with a lap belt and no one should ever use one. Is the carpooling only until school is out? If that is the case and you have a lap belt there I would keep him in the regent and then in the fall put him in a booster but only carpool with 3 other kids instead of 4.

U

Unregistered

Oh, I don't transport them all at once, I only land up having my son and one or two other 6 year olds at a time. Because they are 6, most of them don't use any booster in their own cars, so I don't think it would help talking to the parents. I do insist they sit in the booster in my van. I actually thought they were safe in the booster and thought that the hbb would only help if there were no headrests. I already have one hbb that my 10 year old used to use. It was manufactured in 06 so I can use that for my son. I've just noticed that the backless booster was manufactured in 12 2002. I feel terrible if that means it expired 5 months ago. I never thought of checking. I'll try to get another hbb. for the other kids.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC