Question Britax Multi Tech...why can't we use it here?

C

charissa

I've done a lot of research on ERF lately. My daughter is WAY off the charts for height and weight. She's 14-months and 32 lbs and I don't want to have to turn her Britax Marathon FF until she's at least 2, but I'm not going to put my child on a diet to do so. I learned of the Britax Multi Tech from a Swedish car seat safety site and thought that sounded perfect. Then someone killed my dreams by telling me that you can't use foreign seats in the US. Could my 2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i really be set up THAT differently from Subarus in other countries???!!! And if I did get a Multi Tech, how would anyone know to pull me over to check?

ADS

firemomof3

From my limited knowledge, it is not illegal to purchase a Multi-tech but it is illegal to use it. But we have a member here on the forum, Adventuredad, and he has helped several members purchase swedish seats. They also run about $500 but for you daughter I think it would be a wise purchase :thumbsup:

Maedze

Before you buy a Multi-Tech, look at the Graco My Ride 65, which IS approved in the US, only costs 150, and goes up to 40 lbs rearfacing.

U

Unregistered1

Before you buy a Multi-Tech, look at the Graco My Ride 65, which IS approved in the US, only costs 150, and goes up to 40 lbs rearfacing.

This.

You never know, her weight gain might slow down significantly. IME (and I'm a daycare teacher, I see a lot of kids) kids really start to slow down on the weight gain once they start walking and running. It sounds like the My Ride might be perfect for you.

jujumum

If you are seriously researching the Swedish seats, check out the Two Way, too. And, find out the exact wording of your state's car seat laws. In FL, the law states specifically that the car seat used must be 'federally approved'. A Swedish seat hasn't been 'federally' approved in the US. However, some states might not include such specific language. For example, Florida law states:

316.613 Child restraint requirements.-- (1)(a) Every operator of a motor vehicle as defined herein, while transporting a child in a motor vehicle operated on the roadways, streets, or highways of this state, shall, if the child is 5 years of age or younger, provide for protection of the child by properly using a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children aged through 3 years, such restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child seat. For children aged 4 through 5 years, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

In order for me to use a Swedish seat, I'd need to take the risk that I could be busted for breaking the law and whether it would be worth the risk. I'd rather be fined or go to jail in a heartbeat if an illegal Swedish seat saved my child from injury in an accident. But, what if I was using one, and my child was injured in an accident? Technically I could be prosecuted, but statistically, the child is safer rf than ff. I've been chewing on this for the past few weeks and am waiting for a 40lb Radian (since the MR is too short for dd).

In your case, I'd recommend the MR when your dd reaches with MA limit (which hopefully your seat is 35lbs not 33). Her weight will likely slow radically as she is starting to run around, and she might even loose some. Or, the 'possibly never going to come out' Radan 40b if by some miracle it is out by the time your dd needs one.:thumbsup:

U

Unregistered

I wrote to several Swedish companies, including the Britax and they recommended me to use the site http://www.car-seat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=42 It is a swedish site, but written in English and they can answer any questions in English. the sell the Britax as well as other brands of RF carseats 40lbs and over... They can also answer questions to whether they will fit in your type of "American Car" Keep in mind that many many many car shells, parts, etc. (even those so-called "made in USA") come from other countries... Hope that helps! Shayna

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC