Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Best Seat for Airline Travel

We are taking a trip to Disney next Feb. and I'll need to get 2 car seats for my twin girls to bring with us. We'll be renting a car while we are down there. I'm still not sure if we are going to be bringing them on the plane or not. I was thinking of the Cosco Scenera, since it's so cheap and lightweight. I'm also planning on using these as a second set of seats for my mom's car. Right now, she's using their Snugrides, which they are about to outgrow. We just bought the True Fits for our car and I can't imagine traveling with them. They are so big and bulky. Is the Cosco Scenera a good choice or is there a better seat out there for our situation?

Thanks,
    Christie

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Re: Best Seat for Airline Travel

As long as they fit the scenera is a great option .
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

CPS Fanatic

I agree. But, I would also bring 2 pool noodle pieces so you can get the sceneras rfing in your rental vehicle.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Yep, at that age the Scenera is great for travel. If they get too tall, the Avenue is a good alternative.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Carseat Crazy

Yes, I always grab for the Scenara to travel, it's so light and easy that way.
    Lisa, mama to L (6 yrs, 44#, 50" Regent/Parkway SG), E (4 yrs, 35#, 43" FF in a Radian/Como), and R (4 mo, 18#, 26" riding in a Wizard/Blvd)

Unregistered

We just traveled last week and I debated between the Scenara and Saftery 1st Avenue. I went with the Avenue and it was well worth the extra $30ish bucks! It has EPS foam and is way more comfy than the Scenara. Plus, the EPS foam gives it extra protection! It's well worth the extra money!

CPS Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    We just traveled last week and I debated between the Scenara and Saftery 1st Avenue. I went with the Avenue and it was well worth the extra $30ish bucks! It has EPS foam and is way more comfy than the Scenara. Plus, the EPS foam gives it extra protection! It's well worth the extra money!
    I have to agree. We have a Scenera and my daughter thinks it is uncomfortable. I always think of taking it but in the past have lugged the Marathon on planes, and next trip to Alaska, will be taking a Radian. It is a terribly long flight to expect my child to ride in an uncomfortable seat. I agree too about the EPS foam, the Scenera works for us because we keep it mostly for the grandparents to use in emergencies, but in retrospect, if I planned to use it frequently, I'd want a slightly nicer seat! I will say that we've gotten more use from the Scenera that I expected. My dd is turning 4 and is a leggy 42", but can still use the Scenera. I expected she would have outgrown the top slots by now but she still has half an inch of torso growth.