What about the Como?

Joyofbirth

I got to play with a Como today for the first time. I loved it. It is a great seat. My oldest dd has to room to grow in the slots. Almost as much as the Nautilus. My baby seemed snug in it. It looks like it will fit a newborn great. My 4-year-old is the size of most 6-year-olds and hardly fits most seats, but fit in this one great. Why isn't this seat recommended more often? I see the TF, the EFTA and the Marathon mentioned a lot, but I don't think I've ever seen the Como or Signo. I'm just wondering why. I have heard the leg room is not great for older rear-facers. Is this the main reason? Are there other reaons not to recommend it?

On a side note: The sales guy was telling me it's a safer seat than the Marathon or Blvd, because the side are 4 inches vs. 2 inches and the child stays inside the SIP more with the recaro seats. He also showed me bars in the back that are way bigger and more solid than the Britax. he also mentioned something about the base being a reinforced:confused: collapsible base vs. the Britax collapsible base. Anyone know what this means? Then I asked him between the Marathon and the Blvd, which does he think is safer. He said the Marathon because you have the EPS foam all the way down. In the blvd you only have it in the head wings. He seems to think the head wings add little or no extra protection. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

ADS

southpawboston

first of all, this guy doesn't sound like he doesn't know what he's talking about. i wouldn't listen to a word he said.

as for why the como isn't more popular? in addition to the lack of leg room for RFing kids, the como doesn't install well in as many cars as the britaxes (or the signo), and the shoulder room is a bit narrower than the britaxes and the signo, so larger kids feel squished in the shoulder area long before they reach the weight limit.

the signo is a better seat than the como. in additional to the infinite adjust harness+head wings, it has about an extra inch of shoulder room than the como. this is because, although it shares the same shell as the como, it does not utilize EPS foam along the sides, since the SIP is in the headwing pillows (in fact there is no EPS foam in the signo shell at all, all energy-absorbing material is in the SIP wings. and because the signo has a LATCH bar (just like the boulevard), it installs much better in cars where the como doesn't install well. i know this first hand since i have both a como and two signos, and have had them installed in the same cars.

these differences between the como and the signo are very similar to the differences between the marathon and the boulevard. the boulevard, like the signo, does not have the EPS foam lining that the marathon has since they place the energy absorbing material directly in the SIP wings.

which is safer? officially, no seat is safer is it is used right 100% of the time, fits the car well, and fits kiddo properly. but with a totally personal bias, i feel safer with seats that have dedicated SIP pillows/wings. i have seen the videos of side-impact crashes in seats with and without SIP wings, and the videos are compelling.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/Como# I owned one for a day... It was nice, just kind of squishy in the shoulders.
My major dislike of it was that the sides are SO deep that it was incredibly hard to get my kid in and out of it rearfacing, and then I couldn't even see her to hand her things when I was in the passenger front seat and she was in the driver's side second seat. The Marathon and Radian I was used to are so much more accommodating of rearfacing kids that I stuck with those (easier to load them, much more legroom). For FF, yeah, not enough thigh support and it's high on a base, kind of hard to lift kids into it. If I had to choose a Recaro, I'd pick the Signo for the reasons SBP mentioned, but I wouldn't choose one at all really, since RF has easier to deal with choices, and FF has longer lasting, larger choices. I LOVE the harness adjuster, though...don't see why every seat can't have a smooooooth harness adjuster :love:

Pixels

I was amazed at how little legroom there is. I stuck DD in one (don't know if it was the Como or Signo, sorry) and the edge of the seat hit her on the leg above her ankles. In the Radian, her toes aren't even to the edge yet. Granted, the Radian is one of the better convertibles for leg room, but still. Wow.

Spam

I also had a como and almost :loved: it. I would have preferred the signo, however I don't think I could have kept it either. I have a sedan and the base was just too tall for my backseat. It is a very nice seat, just not great for rearfacers, and a tall base for older ones to climb in by themselves. The seat itself is awesome imo.

Maedze

Another one chiming in to say you got a sales person who didn't know his elbow from his, uh, ankle bones.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC