Techs please tell me

cadensmommy

Senior Community Member
DO any of you get paid? I dont care if I do or not thats not why I am getting the cert. but hubby wants to know if i can... so please tell me do you get paid and where do you work thanks!

Clarissa

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
DO any of you get paid? I dont care if I do or not thats not why I am getting the cert. but hubby wants to know if i can... so please tell me do you get paid and where do you work thanks!

Clarissa

Let's see. . .state patrol, sheriff, fire fighters, nurses, community health workers, day care/Head Start staff, Safe Kids/Neb. Safety Council employees, OT/PT at rehab. center (they're running part of the "Safe Travel for all Children" program in our area), MIGHT be paid to work as a tech (although many are NOT on the clock for check up events). They are paid, but being a tech is just a part of the daily/weekly tasks they execute. In my area, the "paid" people work at an agency that has a fitting station, are also instructors, and/or they are organizing the monthly check up events.

As a volunteer, I have gotten meals/snacks/drinks, a couple of shirts, and a couple of gift cards (to the local mall) from check up event sponsors. Some events offer to pay mileage for techs to come from a ways away, since NE is predominately a rural state.

skaterbabs

I've gotten lunch, water, $10 for gas from one check in which I drove 60+ miles, and admission for my daughter the day of the check to a local play place.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I did for a bit recently because it was an either ask for payment or go bankrupt circumstance at the time -- my SO had an OBGYN clinic on the 1st floor of our home, but the L&D dept. of the hospital closed 1 month after we put all savings into remodeling the home (everyone then chose Drs closer to the bigger city where they would be delivering).... I was the only other "employee" in the facility & my Childbirth Educator certification will be complete this summer :)D) sooooo: as part of the office visits + birthing classes (during which I was supervised by my SO as he's the OB) we could bill the patient's health insurance OR the patient would pay out of pocket if they chose to have the birthing classes + carseat check during bedrest in their own home (for gas/mileage, etc.) -- I needed liability insurance for this....

Although some techs in the national community supports request for payment (seemingly those in the states where it costs hundreds of dollars to get certified vs. here where it was only about $65), there was quite a stir in my local community against doing so. Until I spoke with the state coordinator & explained that I was not advertising to the general public, but rather to a select group payable through insurance (very rare situation) -- I didn't have many clients for my services, though, too (the malpractice insurance cost more than our income after L&D closed) & most of the interest has been with Nonprofit organizations who already involve themselves in some sort of family project in which qualified vehicle safety services is important (liability).

Hooking up with a Nonprofit allows a CPST to apply for a federal grant to have access to a trailer with carseats available to those in dire need (unsafe/absent carseat or at poverty level) -- I am looking into this right now after just meeting with my local Unitarian Universalist church (they have a "Babies First" program for which they currently use donations to buy Sceneras [YAY] but are extremely supportive of my participation): I think I might need a CPST-Instructor to join with me, but I'm not sure :confused: Am awaiting a call back from my state coordinator.... This would be a volunteer without payment situation.
  • In summary, yes, in theory some of us public service agents could be concidered as being paid for doing this, but it isn't required that public service agents attend the volunteer seat check events (only so many checks within a year or so signed off by a CPST-I necessary to maintain certification -- they just changed this & I haven't printed it out to try to remember the details on it yet)
  • OR no you should according to some not ever get paid because asking for payment could jeopardize local government funding
  • OR sure, maybe you can get paid if you're in a medical office that can bill the insurance & the doc/boss is willing to add the $ to your regular paycheck
  • OR you can get in on the national CPS infor/advocacy events (someone else please list them?!) & get some reimbursement + goodies :)
    • BTW, when families give $ donation we're supposed to document & forward the $ on to SafeKids
Just had an idea: there are lots of midwives/doulas around here ~ maybe they'd be interested in my helping them out & adding the perspective of vehicle safety for pregnant mamas + newborns...!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC