How old was your child in a MA?

britfish

DD is almost 5 and size wise she is fine in her MA for quite some time (she is 40in. 32lbs.). I have been considering replacing my MA with a FN just so she can have more of a booster style seat.
What age did you move up the the big kid seat just "because"??

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Ds is 4.5 and just over the 3rd slots (41" and 33 lbs). I've been considering something without a base. I don't know if I'd go for the XT, GN or Frontier.

bubbaray

I moved DD#1 from an MA to a RN when she was not quite 3 for 3 reasons: 1 I was hugely PG with DD#2 and on lifting restrictions -- she found it hard to climb into the MA in my van. She had a much easier time with the RN. Secondly, I wanted the MA for DD#2. Both girls fit in the MA from birth and my initial plan was to use it from birth for DD#2 -- ended up using the infant bucket and having her scream blue murder for 2m before I moved her to the MA. The police ended up visiting us for the screaming, which was interesting....

ETA Third reason was I wanted a new seat.

Maggie

DD was just 4 when we moved her into an Apex. Several reasons, she was on the top slot, her shoulders were squished, the leg support sucked, I hated lifting her up into it and she wanted a more "big kid" looking seat.

mamabearof3

My 5.5 yo is still in his MA part time. In fact, he rode home in it for preschool drop off. No problems there since the mom is a firefighter and her 5yo was in a regent. :)

I plan on using it until it expires next year. Only one year left on my first Britax.:(

Blessings,
Stacy in MN
5.5yo and 3.5yo MA, Radian and Frontier harnessed.
17mo RF Blvd
7mo daycare baby RF MA

Ducky5306

my ds is 3 and i just (last week) got a marathon for him after he outgrew his roundabout by weight, he isn't very tall and has a short torso he just barely outgrow the second shoulder harness slot, to give you an idea the top of his ear is level with the line of the top shoulder harness slot and he just finished a big growth spurt (he was on the middle harness slot on the roundabout!)

So i have no idea but barring any giant torso growth he'll be in it a long while still! then I hope to pass it on to a second baby :whistle: (wishful thinking)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I think I handed ours down to a friend when DD was almost 6 and started Kindergarten and then she used a Radian or Regent for a little longer then moved to a booster full time in 1st grade.

She was happy in it, her shoulders just got to the top slots and I was excited to use her Regent because it matched her big brother's, lol.

Joyride, TJHam has a tiny Granddaughter, but Ulrike's kids also fit till 7, and I think DHardawa's dd fit till almost 8, so she's not alone in the short-torso department :thumbsup:

emandbri

Daniel moved out of the marathon when Benjamin needed it. He was 5 and went to a star riser.

Benjamin used the marathon until he got too tall at 5 1/2 and went to a radian. I would have bought him a nautilus for the cup holders if it came tan or brown, I don't want gray. If the frontier had thicker straps I would have bought one.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
We switched DD1 from a MA to a Regent at age 4.5 but not "just because" - she had outgrown the MA by height. :)

cowgirlsmommy

My daughter is 3 and we took her out of her Marathon earlier this year. She outgrew it! Now she just has a Regent and a Frontier.

jujumum

My dd still fits in the MA, but is tall and would also fit nicely in a FN. I considered replacing it with a FN, but decided to hold off for better covers and to see if they fix the install & harness issues that folks have complained about. I would :love: a cowmoo or leopard/top cat style cover.:thumbsup:

DahliaRW

My ds1 outgrew the MA at 4 and around 40lbs. We had moved him out previously (a little before 3) into a radian to pass the MA down to my younger son. We later moved ds1 to a nautilus and ds2 to the radian rfing and installed the MA in my dh's car because the Radian gave him more leg room.

MonsterMom6

My friend kept her triplets in their MAs until they were almost 7. They were well under the 65# weight limit. One had outgrown the top slots, but Britax told her it was OK as long her ears were within the shell. She asked on several occasions and was told the same thing. (Disclaimer: I discussed this with others on the this board and everone agreed they really wouldn't go past the top slots, regardless of what Britax says.)

Her kids are average height and at the time, the Frontier wasn't available. They moved to Montereys.

Melizerd

DD is almost 5 and size wise she is fine in her MA for quite some time (she is 40in. 32lbs.). I have been considering replacing my MA with a FN just so she can have more of a booster style seat.
What age did you move up the the big kid seat just "because"??

wow my 2 1/2 year old is the same height and only 2lbs lighter than your 5 year old! He's still very comfortable in his MA in Grandma's car.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC