Is it even possible??

canmom

For a kid to wiggle an arm or two out of the harness if it is done up tight enough? I was talking to my neighbour today and she said her 2.5 yr old is doing this. She said the harness is tight.... just wondering if anyone has heard of this or has any suggestions?

ADS

rochelle

DS1 has done that countless times. he pushed the chest clip down to the crotch buckle and wiggle his arms out.

He does that when he is in a sour mood. the first time he did that was around 2 because he was sulky after his well baby checkup.

I just put his arms back in and push back the chest clip.

HEVY

My friends kids used to do this, one was real tiny and skinny and the other was, uhm, real big. They were in tight, I know, because I strapped them in, they were not able to move the chest clip but able to get out.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
If they can get the chest clip undone or out of the way, I can see it being fairly easy. Especially with Britax seats where the harness isn't tight against their abdomen. Reach an arm under and slide the harness off the shoulder. If DD is not wanting to get into her seat, and I have the harness on her True Fit tight (and I am bad for overtightening) and I don't yet have the chest clip done up, she can slide her body over enough and wiggle until the one strap comes off her shoulder, and get an arm under and be mostly out of the harness.

With the chest clip done up and in the proper place, I can see it being WAY more difficult (not I am not saying impossible because determined kids can sometimes do things you'd never realize!).

Does your neighbour have the chest clip done up? High enough? Can the child push the chest clip down and out of the way?

christineka

My dd used to do that in her evenflo tribute. She'd push the chest clip down (paperclip style) and get her arms out. The worst thing was that we were on a road trip when she started this. She was rear-facing, so we could not see her do it and then would notice on our potty stops. So far the problem has not been repeated since we got a two-piece chest clip shortly after that trip.

emandbri

Benjamin could do it in the marathon and the radian but only in the last year and only when the car is stopped. Jacob and Daniel never did it and Elizabeth hasn't tried.

NannyMom

Years ago, my roomate's daughter did it. I think she was around 2. No matter how tight I made the seat (i remember thinking i hoped she could breathe), She'd still push the chest clip down and get out. She only did it on one trip cuz she was really really angry.

LuvMyCharlie

Yes, we're going through this now. It's happened twice in the last week and not even when he's in a sour mood. :confused: The first time he was in the Uptown and I did not notice until we were back in our driveway. The second time was in his MA and I saw him fidgeting around and pop his arm out. Stinker. I have no idea what to do other than keep a close eye out and stop everytime. Grr...

Maedze

I think it's possible. I also think that in my actual real life (non message board) experience, more than 90% of parents with this concern are not properly tightening the harness.

CandCfam

Bumping this thread to get some input.

Posting on behalf of someone with a DD with hypotonic and hyper-flexible joints.
Her DD has started manipulating her body out of the harness, and they are in the UK, so no chest clip on the seat.
Any input on what she can do to keep her DD from doing this?

Dillipop

Although I've never had DS slip his arms out of a tight harness, he did unbuckle both the chest clip and the buckle and stand up (hanging over the front seat) while I was driving one day. He was 2 1/2 and MAD at the time. There is no way I thought he could do something like that, but he did. I stormed around the car and put him back in his seat and sternly (aka yelled) told him that it wasn't safe and he will never, ever do it again. It seems to have sunk in and he hasn't repeated the performance. I do make sure to mention a lot about how we only unbuckle when the car is stopped and turned off and repeatedly tell him not to play with the buckles.

CandCfam- I think the only thing your friend can do is be consistent. Every time the child slips out, the car is pulled over and the harness is redone. No need to say anything more than- When we drive in the car, our seat belt stays on. At the beginning of rides, a reminder to the child that the seat belt has to stay on. Maybe a reward on trips that she stays in the harness the whole time. Hopefully this will help change the child's behavior.

zeo2ski

For those in MAs, does using the HUGS make a difference with pushing the chest clip down? I know it sure makes it tougher for ME to adjust it!

rochelle

For those in MAs, does using the HUGS make a difference with pushing the chest clip down? I know it sure makes it tougher for ME to adjust it!

to me its tougher. to my 4yr old son when he is having a meltdown, it makes no difference.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC