News Texas Car Seat Law

babygirlsmom1005

The new law passed, just needs signature!!!! New law states 8 years old or 4'9" before kids can get out of a booster seat!!! So much better than the 5 years old or 36" tall. There is a one year warning peorid, so it really won't be enforced until 2010, so much better than our old law here which was one of the worst in the country!!!

ADS

Calleiah

It's about freaking time! Im so sick of seeing people with 5 year olds (tiny ones!) in nothing at all!
Time to go find a news article about it so I can subtly remind my friends with kids. If that doesnt work, Ill take a more direct approach!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
AWESOME!!! *throws a celebration that her nephew will be boostered longer than 3 or 5 years*

borntraci

GREAT!!! Now I have a good reason not to send DS to TX this summer, because his Nana would NEVER be willing to buy a frontier for him.

hsjwmom

Yay! Now, if only people would actually CARE and follow the law. :rolleyes:

My neighbor's grandkids rode in NOTHING after they outgrew the bucket. :eek: I told her she needed something at LEAST for the baby, who was about to turn 2. She did the, yeah, I know, I know. She never did end up getting anything. :( The younger one is now 4 or 5, so I can't wait to tell her about the new law. :D

rochelle

Congrats :)

Now if California can get the same law. preferably with an "AND" rather than a "OR". 8yrs and 4'9" seems logically better.

I am 5'3" but I dont fit well in a seat belt either.

mburks26

am wondering since now we have a booster law could a person get a ticket if they use the booster wrong lap only belt and putting the shoulder belt behind the child etc? since its against the manufactor?

Evolily

am wondering since now we have a booster law could a person get a ticket if they use the booster wrong lap only belt and putting the shoulder belt behind the child etc? since its against the manufactor?

depends on if you have a proper use clause.

MomToEliEm

Yep, it will be against the law (though I doubt it will be enforced). The Texas law does include a proper use clause:
A person commits an offense if the person operates a passenger vehicle, transports a child who is younger than eight years of age, unless the child is taller than four feet, nine inches, and does not keep the child secured during the operation of the vehicle in a child passenger safety seat system according to the instructions of the manufacturer of the safety seat system.
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/81R/billtext/html/SB00061F.htm

bubbaray

Sounds similar to our law here in BC. Which most people ignore anyway. :mad: Or, they use the "new booster law" as a reason to move a small 2yo to a LBB.

vonfirmath

Congrats :)

Now if California can get the same law. preferably with an "AND" rather than a "OR". 8yrs and 4'9" seems logically better.

I am 5'3" but I dont fit well in a seat belt either.

But if a child gets to 4'9" before age 8, they might conceivably NOT fit any booster seat on the market. that's the reason for ORs, not ANDs.

rochelle

But if a child gets to 4'9" before age 8, they might conceivably NOT fit any booster seat on the market. that's the reason for ORs, not ANDs.

I was thinking of my home country laws where if the child cannnot fit into any booster seat on the market, they will be legally exempt from using a booster. I am not sure whether the exempt clause is built in to the laws here.

celtic1885

I am SO EXCITED! Maybe now my brother will put my dni in a harness or at least a hbb. She is smaller than my dd2 and he puts her in a lbb :( She is hyper and definitely doesn't pass the 5-step test.

vonfirmath

celtic: A low back booster is still a booster and so he's within the law, right? Why would he change just because the law is passed? Maybe I missed something.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC