Seat Protectors

mom2kk

I just installed a Scenera in the IL's Grand Cherokee with leather seats, and put in a under the carseat seat protector as well. Tight car seat installations have absolutely DESTROYED the leather seats in my car, and I'm trying to prevent that in their car. Wondering if anyone has experience with them working/not working, and then also was wondering about any implications on the safety aspect. They don't touch the belt systems, and the seat is in there as tight as necessary, with pool noodle which is typical of RF Scenera installation. So I'm not seeing where they would adversely affect the car seat's protection. And how they could make/market them as such if they did wouldn't make sense. BUT I thought I'd ask here for opinions just in case I'm missing something!

ADS

Maedze

Seat protectors can be extremely dangerous and are not recommended.

I'll let other people touch on why as evidently I am doing a poor job of communicating my thoughts this evening ;)

Last edited:

southpawboston

If you absolutely MUST have something under the car seat, a thin bed sheet or kitchen towel is acceptable, but nothing else.

i wouldn't go that far. i think *only* a bed sheet or kitchen towel is taking thinness to an extreme. i've been using a thin beach towel with our seats, thinner than a bath towel but thicker than a bed sheet, for sure.

the CPS manual does state that use of an unrolled towel is acceptable. that's the official line.

Maedze

Yes, I'm just trying to convey the correct thickness here. People hear 'towel' and they run out and use something that could absorb a tsunami. Always err on the side of caution....

heyruthie

However, simply by preventing your child from eating in the car and conditioning the seats with leather conditioner, you shouldn't have any trouble with damage to the seats.

I'd like to point out that the OP stated that the car SEATS themselves have destroyed the leather. And, in my experience this is very realistic. I've seen several leather seats pretty messed up by a totally correct CR install. I'm not saying she should use a seat protector, but I do want to address what her post actually contained.

Maedze

Yes, I understand that :confused:

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. As I said, if you avoid giving the child food in the seat, and properly condition the vehicle seats with leather conditioner, there is not likely to be permanent damage.

I've dealt with leather seats for a long time and no permanent damage has been done.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
mom2KK, what seat protector are you using? How thick is it? Could you possibly find a link to it for us?

Pixels

I think they're fine IF you can guarantee that they are not causing a looser installation. The way to do that is install the seat, without the seat protector. Make sure it's tight enough. Then take the seat out, put the seat protector in, and get the belts just as tight as they were. If you're using a locking clip, you don't have to do anything special. If you're locking at the retractor or using LATCH and need to loosen the belt to get the seatbelt out, you can mark the belt with chalk or a pencil before you take it out, and then make sure you get it tightened to the mark.

southpawboston

I'd like to point out that the OP stated that the car SEATS themselves have destroyed the leather. And, in my experience this is very realistic. I've seen several leather seats pretty messed up by a totally correct CR install. I'm not saying she should use a seat protector, but I do want to address what her post actually contained.

i agree that this is a perfectly valid point. the fact is, you can have a safe, acceptable installation of a carseat while also protecting your seats from damage. it doesn't have to be "your car's seat or your kid's safety". it can be both. however, there are unsafe products on the market aimed at protecting your seats while, in practice, compromise the safety of your child by resulting in a compromised carseat installation. as long as you follow CPS guidelines and make sure that your carseat is properly installed, you will be safe. basically, the biggest danger is that thick carseats can "mask" an improper installation by giving you a false sense of a tight installation. the trick is to first install the carseat without a towel, and assess the installation. if it is tight and conforms to the 1" rule (which means you can not move the seat side to side by more than 1" at the belt path with the force of one hand), then that is an acceptable install. next, reinstall the carseat the same way with the towel. if the towel does not alter the installation, then you can feel safe that the towel is not compromising the installation of the seat.

SarahLong

I use this seat protector. It is thinner than my thinnest towel. When I installed A's GN, I did so without the seat protector, put a piece of tape to mark the latch belt, then reinstalled with the seat protector. I was able to get it tightened to the tape without a problem. In both installations the GN doesn't move at all, not even a mm. I never tested the install of J's SR32, since it's being installed with the seatbelt right now and not with the base. But it only moves about a 1/2in with the protector. I have no plans of trading in my car once it's paid off, but just in case I do decide to do so in 3yrs, I want the seats to be in great condition. My car is the luxury version of it's model, so will have great trade-in value if I take care of it. I just want to preserve that. If I had an 8yr or older car with leather seats, I wouldn't bother with the seat protector.

My seat protector is made of fabric only, therefore the car seat is able to tighten while the seat protector gives with it. I wouldn't feel comfortable using somethings like this, which is made of a rubber material with little to no give when tightening the car seat.

rochelle

I just installed a Scenera in the IL's Grand Cherokee with leather seats, and put in a under the carseat seat protector as well. Tight car seat installations have absolutely DESTROYED the leather seats in my car, and I'm trying to prevent that in their car.

of all the car seats we have tried, the scenara has cut my hubby's hands the most times when installing and un-installing in different cars/minivans.

somehow the base of the scenara is very rough/sharp. we didnt have this problem with other car seats that we tried.

the other posters have already answered on how to choose your seat protector.

mom2kk

Thanks for the input.

It is middle installed with a lap belt, there is no LATCH option there and no ratcheting involved.

It is as tight of an install as the seats in my vehicle, probably 1/4 to 1/2 inch movement at the belt path.

This is the protector I have. I didn't look at its thinness, and don't have it with me right now.
http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-27301-Auto-Seat-Protector/dp/images/B0001EM8I2

If I didn't have 3 car seats installed tight in my vehicle I'd take pictures of the destroyed vehicle seats to show what the proper installation of a Snugride and Recaro have done to them in 2 years. They were like new before b/c we rarely used the back seat til DD arrived. Now they are pretty bad!

None of it has to do with eating in the car, totally from the base of the seats and the seats being pried up/down to access the LATCH anchors which I believe do not stick out way enough, you had to "go fish" to find them before the seats molded from the LATCH connectors pressure over months and months.

The back of the seats are dirty from shoes while RF, but I know that's my fault for not removing shoes and I could put a towel up there and/or attempt to clean it, but since the bottom of the seats are ruined I'm not caring any more about my vehicle seats appearance and letting that go.

However, this installation in question is on a newer, much nicer vehicle, that does not belong to me, hence my desire to attempt protection if they are safe. I agree with the poster who talked about the Scenera having some sharp molding on it, I actually cut myself on one hand with a lower corner, and then on another hand with the cardboard from the package, lol. :rolleyes:

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Most protectors I've seen can be used without an issue, provided that you are careful with the installation. The risk is that something grippy could provide a false sense of a good installation in a case where the child seat is not actually installed tightly. That grip will hold enough to make it appear to move less than an inch with a tug, but it won't hold in a crash. If you can pretty reliably get a good install without a protector, putting in a relatively thin one shouldn't be an issue in most cases.

As a side note, the Graco My Ride 65 owner's manual I am reading right now says:

Vehicle Seat Protection

Protect vehicle seat. Use a child restraint mat, towel, or thin blanket under and behind child restraint.

Maedze

IIRC correctly, above that it says that only Graco aftermarket products can be used with the MyRide. I interepretted that as meaning they would only allow a Graco marketed car seat mat.

heyruthie

I can tell you right now that that specific protector is too thick.

i also used that same protector in the past, and i agree, it is too think and the rubber messes up a good install. it's very rigid. I'd recommend a towel instead :) that should really help!

also, please note that saying "this seat is as tight as all my other installs" is missing the point--yes, it FEELS that way. the protector tends to make the seat feel VERY secure. But the way to test if it IS as secure is to reinstall the seat with the belt in the SAME position (mark it with tape/chalk) but without the protector. THEN see if the seat it "just as tight" and conforms to the 1" rule.

mamabearof3

Okay, my understanding of the issues are 2 fold. 1. the anti-skid rubber and 2. the thickness. Is that correct?

I can get the argument about the rubber and getting a good install. But I just do not get the thickness issue. How can say a regular towel really affect the safety when the seat is squishy with foam? We (dh and I) climb onto the seat to get a good fit. I just don't buy that it would put my kids at harm.:confused: Thoughts?

Lastly, why do carseat techs tell people to put rug anti skid things under carseats???

Thanks,
Stacy in MN:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC