What do you do with your infant base while flying?

TheNimpsGirl

Okay so maybe this is a dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyways cause I've never flown with an infant...

DS is still riding in his SS1 and we maybe taking a trip in a bit to see the inlaws. DS will have his own seat.

I know that the SS1's manual shows it being used on the airplane without the base, but what did you do with the base then? Gate check it? Shove it above you in the over head space? What?

Also random question, why do you have to install it without the base on a plane? Just ease of use or what?

Thanks!

ADS

BabyKaykes

You leave it at home....

Its not easy (or sometimes possible) to install a base on the plane because the buckle release usually interferes with snapping the seat into the base.

Travelling without the base is easier. I'd suggest practicing at home a few times so you're comfortable with it.

TheNimpsGirl

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I should have said I'd rather take the base with us. I'm aware car seats are just as safe being installed without their bases if approved for use that way but I'd rather not have to worry about how to install it in a car I'm not use to (the possibility of fumbling with locking clips, towels or pool noodles mainly).

And huh, I hadn't thought of where the buckle was in relation to the car seat snapping in. So thanks for that :thumbsup:

Pixels

I took the base for DD's seat once. By myself, too. I couldn't use the base on the plane because of the way the belt guides were on that particular base interfered with the buckle. Now that KayCee mentioned it, even if I had been able to get it in, I probably wouldn't have been able to snap the seat in. Anyway, I put the base on the floor under the seat in front of DD.

The biggest problem that I had on the plane with the infant seat was the buckle was centered on the carseat. The release was right in front of her, which made it attractive for her to play with. I kept an eye on her, and at the time, she wasn't old enough to be able to undo it. In case your son is a bit older than my DD was at the time, you can twist the seatbelt one half twist before it goes through the belt path on each side, so that the buckle is upside down. That will probably slow him down quite a bit. Or cover it with a blanket so it's out of sight.

BabyKaykes

In that case...I'd leave the base on the seat until you get on the plane, then shove it into an overhead compartment or ask an FA if you can keep in their closet.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I guess I should have said I'd rather take the base with us. I'm aware car seats are just as safe being installed without their bases if approved for use that way but I'd rather not have to worry about how to install it in a car I'm not use to (the possibility of fumbling with locking clips, towels or pool noodles mainly).

And huh, I hadn't thought of where the buckle was in relation to the car seat snapping in. So thanks for that :thumbsup:

vonfirmath

We shipped the base ahead of us to where we were going. And just used the seat buckled into the rental car with just a seatbelt until we got there. Then installed the base, used the base most of the time. Then shipped the base home. (We had two cars at home, so two bases. And only one used most of the time. So we could live without the base a few days)

mom2kk

I always left mine at home, too. If you do take it, carry it on or gate check it, don't send it to go underneath, they are so rough with luggage and stack it up where yours could be underneath something very heavy. Wouldn't want to get it cracked or damaged. Gate checking they also can be rough with it but maybe not as bad.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The biggest problem that I had on the plane with the infant seat was the buckle was centered on the carseat. The release was right in front of her, which made it attractive for her to play with. I kept an eye on her, and at the time, she wasn't old enough to be able to undo it. In case your son is a bit older than my DD was at the time, you can twist the seatbelt one half twist before it goes through the belt path on each side, so that the buckle is upside down. That will probably slow him down quite a bit. Or cover it with a blanket so it's out of sight.

I've done both of those. I've also heard of requesting an extension and positioning both buckles on the outside of the seat.

(That can also be done if a base will fit, but the buckle would interfere with locking it in, or if a seat is required to be installed with the base, but the buckle position creates problems in fitting the seat in.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC