Tell me about your Frontier

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I *think* im going to get one..... BUT first, please tell me all about your love/hate for your frontier.

Any pics would be great, if you have a smiliar sized child. DD is 42" tall, 42-44lbs and is on the top slots of her Radian with about 1.5 inch to go.
(My Radian is a 48lb limit so a new seat is needed)

Also what about covers?? which holds up better??

Thanks so much :D

ADS

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Call Britax and see when they are releasing the new covers - it's supposed to be really soon now. Someone was told the "end of May or beginning of June".

Of the existing covers, Sahara holds up best. It's the only one that isn't mesh.

My biggest complaint is the cover, but there are also some install issues in cars with short seatbelts because SBP is really hard/near impossible in a lot of vehicles, and while LBP is a breeze, some seatbelts are too short.

zactayaus

I can't say I'm in love with it but I don't hate it either.

Here's pics of DS2 in it. At the time these pics were taken he was 42", 36lbs, and had a 15" torso.

100_1766.jpg
Austinsleepcar.jpg

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
While a very quirky seat, we love ours. DD is now 44 inches, 44ish lbs. This is when we first got it so she was maybe 42 lbs? I can't remember.

IMG_2942.jpg

It's a pain to install, it's heavy and huge. The cover is just not that great. I would LOVE a new cover as dd's has nittys on it. UGH. But, we have been so happy with the way the seat fits my dd. It is a great fit for her!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I just added the new harness guard and new straps, much better so far. I haven't taken pics since I got the seat!

Mama Jo

My DD's in the FN in my siggy. I wanna say she's about 43" tall and 46#. So very similar to your DD. And I love the FN. I'm one of the few who actually likes the mesh. My kids don't wear velcro shoes and aren't really hard on their seats, so I've never had any snagging issues with mesh. But I don't have to mess with the SBP because my van has long enough seatbelts for the LBP. I might feel differently about it if I had to use the SBP.

tl01

DS is about 37 lbs and 39 inches tall. We really like our Frontier. As I've posted about it before, I think my car was made for the Frontier. It really is easy to install in my car. In my rental car I got today... it is much harder to install though I was successful eventually... 20 minutes. I thought the twisty straps would bother me but the don't yet. DS was in a non-Britax seat for a while before this seat and I really like HUGS for some reason. It fits DS nicely and he's able to sleep well in it:) I can try to post pics later.. but all my pics are on my hard drive and I don't have it connected to my laptop right now.

firemomof3

I love our Frontier :love: My 5.5y/o who has a 16” torso 48” tall 46-48lbs fits great with room to grow. My 3y/o who has a 13” torso 38” tall 29lbs uses it about 1x/week and she also loves it. We have no head slump when sleeping, the LBP is easy for me in my minivan but the fabric is annoying. Definitely go with the Sahara cover :thumbsup:
Photobucket is not working right now for some reason but I can post pics later..ok here are pics
comfortsport001.jpg

pupcarseats011.jpg

Last edited:

luvmy2

I am debating getting one also. My ds really wants the red one, but it's online only & I need it Monday. Hmm... I am loving the look of it.

What new covers are they getting?

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
I just added the new harness guard and new straps, much better so far. I haven't taken pics since I got the seat!

Is the new harness thicker??

Thank you all soooooooo much.

I was going to go with the Nautilus, BUT I really like the TSIP on the Frontier. DD sits outboard drivers side, so I want more protection for her. Its going to be a birthday present for her, so I will take pics.

Thanks again, you all made me feel better about getting it.

HONEYhas3

CPST Instructor
UUUgghhhhhhhh we only have 3 colours here:

Canyon

Rushmore

Pink Sky (already sold out, so not an option )

Of the 2, which one, or are they both mesh??

Splash

I dislike it. I far far prefer the GN, and have gobs more harness room in the GN.

The cupholders are useless, the armrests are useless, the install is horrid, and the cover is horrible. If I could use it without the recline block, I'd like it a whole lot better.

The cover quality really is BAD. I like mesh (his GN is mesh), but this mesh is seriously low low low quality. The GN has been his primary seat for about 4 months longer than the FN has been his secondary (weekend only, if that) seat, and the GN cover (also mesh) has held up wayyyy better. And he wears velcro shoes occasionally in his GN, never a problem. I'm sure it would kill the GN, though.

What I like about it over the GN-
Deeper crotch strap
adjustable arm rests (which I want to like, but they're slowly losing their appeal because they suck)
Better headrest (more SIP, no slump)

But the GN has way better cupholders (very important) and little cubbies, and a better cover, and a waywaywaywayway easier install.

But eh, the FN is fine. I think they need to bring the price down about $80, though. I only paid $195 for it and I still think that was too much for what it is. If I'd paid full price I'd really dislike it.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The cup holders are a PITA to open and close, but we just leave them open, and they work fine. Ds does occasionally have trouble getting a cup out, but dd just helps him with it, if it's on the inside (next to her).

The armrests rotate, but they are difficult - I think intentionally so - they need to be down when the vehicle is in motion, if they were easy to flip up and down kids would never leave them alone!

tl01

I dislike it. I far far prefer the GN, and have gobs more harness room in the GN.

Harness height or harness length?

My cousin's 3.5 year old wouldn't fit in the harness of the Nauti that she bought as a seat for gma's house but fits beautifully in the Frontier. I'm wondering if her Nauti is defective.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
The cup holders are a PITA to open and close, but we just leave them open, and they work fine. Ds does occasionally have trouble getting a cup out, but dd just helps him with it, if it's on the inside (next to her).

The armrests rotate, but they are difficult - I think intentionally so - they need to be down when the vehicle is in motion, if they were easy to flip up and down kids would never leave them alone!

Are we talking about the armrests flipping up? My dd's flip up very easily. In fact, I have to remind her to leave them down all the time.

zactayaus

The armrest on mine flip up and down easily. As for the cup holders :rolleyes: we can't even use them. We have a three across situation. The Frontier is driverside outboard. The door of the vehicle prevents us from using the one on the left and the SS1 prevents us from using the one on the right.:thumbsdown: I would rather have the cup holder built into the armrests like the GN.

U

Unregistered1

I love the Frontier. I use it as a HBB for M, and sometimes me. We have not had any problems with the cover, the only thing I don't like about it is that it's HUGE... not fun to move from car to car, which we do a lot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC