Made husband think...

Erika Ruth

and, I think that I can get him to agree to "another" carseat...

I was posting on the normal questions board.

I was thinking of selling one of my marathons to get a higher harness seat...

Then, I was thinking about it. It doesn't solve my problem. :)

I would be moving my daughter to a scenera from her marathon, and that doesn't seem fair. :)

My 2 marathons are in daily use, one daughter moved out, one daughter moved in.... and the daughter who moved in will move out when it expires or about then...

So, now I think I have to come up with $250 (or so) for a Regent for my eldest daughter.

Now, I just have to figure out what to sell... That is the HARD part!

I don't want to sell my seats! I still USE them! Now, it would be very easy to justify buying the Regent if I didn't already have a HBB for my eldest that is fine, and if I didn't just buy the travel vest for trips...(YESTERDAY!)2a

Erika

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I would be moving my daughter to a scenera from her marathon, and that doesn't seem fair. :)

IMO (which may not be a popular O)...

"Fair" is everybody getting what they need, and a spouse's need to have input into budget decisions is a valid need as well. If a Scenera meets your daughter's needs, it is fair to move her to one, even if that means that another child has a more expensive seat.

I need expensive bras, because I have huge boobs and a bad back. My husband is happy with boxers purchased in a six-pack from Costco. It's fair that my undergarments cost more than his because we have different needs.

mommaon112903

You do state that your eldest already has a HBB, so why do you want a Regent?

I would much rather have a MA for a primary seat than a Scenera, if it all possible. Ray needs better shoes than I, so he gets the $$$ shoes and I can wear "cheap" sandals all summer. I always work the budget so his feet do not suffer. So, I would work the budget so I could have a MA for a primary seat.

Erika Ruth

I don't want to move the baby out of the Marathon. :) It is easy to install, it has a taller shell, it seems more comfy.

My eldest, almost 6 loves her High Back booster.

I just crash a lot. Or I have in the past. With my Eldest in the car... :)

So, I'd feel more comfortable with her in a 5pt as long as possible. she sits still, but still....

She JUST outgrew the Marathon, and LOVES her booster full time... I just don't feel comfortable with it full time.

I've been looking at the Nauti, but why not go for something that harnesses longer if the seat is a home car seat, and not a move to this place and that place seat?

Erika

NannyMom

How long do you plan to keep her harnessed in the Regent? Will you have her in the ahrness at 10? I think the Regent is great for long torso'd kids that need the height to get them to 6 in a harness. But if she just outgrew the Marathon at 6yrs, I could see the Nautilus getting her to 8 in the harness. Maybe instead of spending $250 for a harness seat, spend $150 (on sale) for the GN, and save the extra for a nicer booster (like the Sunshine Kids Monterey, or the Vivo even) with lots of side impact protection. Pass the GN to another child (how old are they now?), and buy the booster.

Just some thoughts :) Not trying to discourage anyone from buying all the seats they want.... but if it really is a strain on the budget....

mommaon112903

The Monterey is awesome for SIP, you can see a SI crash and how a Monterey performs on their site (it is also on youtube of course). When you compare it their XT, IMHO it is virtually the same. You say your daughter loves her booster, but YOU feel more comfortable with a harness. Would you feel more comfortable with a booster that offers more SI protection, and this would be a compromise for the both of you.

Like Nannymom stated, if she JUST outgrew the MA at age six, she would make it to age eight in the GN and then not outgrow the Regent until close to age ten. There is really no reason to harness a neurotypical child that long, now if we are talking a child with physical or developmental problems than yes harness, harness, harness.

We :love: our Monterey and will either be getting another Monterey or one of the Cybrex boosters when, and if they release them here in the U.S. I want something with some major SI protection, and right now these are the two best IMHO. I wish Britax would let us in on what they are doing, and let us see a crash test, who knows maybe Josef would stay in Britax then.

This is :twocents: and of course this is coming from someone who runs her budget like you wouldn't belive. No cash, no get-no matter what it is.

Erika Ruth

the Graco Nautilus looks great, and I want an excuse to buy it, however, I do have a tall torsoed child. And I'd want to go back and forth between it and booster mode, once I got there...

The Britax Frontier looks good in some ways (Adjustable harness without re-installing). But really annoying in others.

I just can't decide...

I don't mind having a long term harnessed child, especially for long car trips.

It just seems that with 3 kids, and eventually outgrowing a Marathon before booster time, I'd rather have the Regent than another single inch and then booster.

It is just time, not $$. I can raise the $$, if I find things to sell.

I am thinking if I were a kid, what would I rather sit in? What would be most comfortable and secure? The Regent just looks more comfortable than the Nauti.

Erika

Erika Ruth

Basically, the only reason I would do a kid long term in the harness is because
"I" would feel safer in 5pt. We have a friend who does Rally Racing. He had his harness on too loose while hitting a tree. His Dad, who was properly harnessed was uninjured. Our friend, the driver, who had is harness too loose broke his back and ribs.

I've had 2 accidents with my daughter in the car, 2 small fender benders. Those 4 my fault. I've totaled a car with her in it (my fault) She was RF (and almost 2). She was FINE. I've been injured in 2 car accidents (not my fault) and still have nerve damage in my arm and shoulder from the seatbelt. I would have LOVED to have been in a 4pt or 5pt. I would not be in pain.

So, 6 accidents in the past 6 years, one that totaled the car, Yeah, I'm paranoid.

Erika

mommaon112903

Josef would certainly say the Regent is more comfy than the GN, he had one for a year and towards the end it was not a pretty sight when he would have to ride in the GN.

Josef is using the last slots in the Regent, you can see his photo in my siggy. He would have outgrown the MA around age four, and VERY immature, so definatly not a time for a booster. The Regent was great for us, it will get us to a time when full-time boostering is a great option for Josef. Nothing else would have, and that reason alone will make me miss the Regent.

Maybe keep an eye out an swap for a Regent, if the time comes that you do need one. I think there is one or was one just recently on swap, and I do know that some of our kiddos are out-growing the beast soon. Mine is only two years old, so it still has some good years left in it, for someone that is not Josef.

I despise buying car seats and want them to last a LONG time, so you will not get any enabling from me, lol. Sorry :(

jujumum

Sorry for coming in late, but I don't get it.:eek: How old are the children and what seats are they in?

Erika Ruth

NP! I'm confusing! :)

I have:

SS1 that I am giving to a friend, as my 19 month old daughter JUST outgrew it.

2 cowmooflage Marathons, one expires in 3 years, one in 5. with a 3rd cover

1 Cosco Scenera for spare seat for other kids, or when I'm trying to squeeze 3 across.

1 Compass Foldable Booster

JUST ordered the Rider Safe Vest for rare time we need to do 3 across (not everyday use)

I've got a 19month old 19lbs daughter
I've got a 3 year old 33lbs daughter
I've got a 5 (almost 6) year old 40ish lbs daughter. (Just outgrew marathon height wise)

Thinking of getting a Regent. Not because my oldest wiggles all the time, but more because I've been in 6 car accidents in 6 years. One serious, my fault (totaled my car, airbags went off) 3 fender benders (scratches, hardly worth mentioning, in parking lots) 2 serious with me injured from people rear ending me at high speeds.

The debate is... Why Regent, why not just use booster? And, I can. I've decided NOT to sell a Marathon to pay for a Regent. Because I want my other two to use them both until they expire... :)

Another option... get a Nautilus for the additional inch of harnessing... (but I've got a perfectly good booster, and won't be needing another for at least 2-3 years)

So, technically, I don't need another car seat, but I would like to have my almost 6 year old in a harness a bit longer. So, the debate is whether that is necessary and worth it.

Erika

jujumum

If I were you, I'd keep the two little ones in the MAs (as you are) - I'd rather have 2 little ones in MAs and 1 6 year old in a booster rather than 1 MA, 1 SC, 1 Regent (but that is just me).

If you would like extra harness time for the eldest, I'd get a Nautilus (mariposa @ BRU with today being the last day for the 20% off car seat coupon it comes to $143.99, if the coupon works). You'll get years and years of use out of it, since you can pass it on to dd2 later on.:thumbsup:

Joyofbirth

I have a 1994 Chrysler Town & Country. I have some difficulty with installing the Regent. Is your dd over 40 pounds? If so, it won't be as difficult. When making decisions about my children's well-being (or pretty much anything important), I ask myself how would I feel if XYZ? So, I would just run the scenarios and see how you feel about it. I got a regent because my dd outgrew her marathon at 4 and she is nowhere close to booster-ready. She has quite a long torso. She also finds it more comfortable than the nauti because she felt squished.

Erika Ruth

I might take her to BRU to look at the Nauti and the Regent and see what she likes better. I'm leaning towards the Nauti, but I go back and forth!

Erika

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC