2006 Jeep Commander Install GN?

mburks26

We have to use this car today its my dhs bosses. It it possible that the GN will fit outboard with Latch with the head rest? The GN head rest is for the 2 nd top harness slots. What is the Latch limit? Or is there Latch in center?

I think its a 2006 could be a 2007

ADS

JerseyGirl'sMama

My friend has a Commander '06 and she couldn't fit the GN outboard at all with the headrest. Only the center position worked for her.

Last edited:

mburks26

do you know if center has latch? the weight limit. I have read that it does but the user book only shows latch for outboard just says latch in 2nd row only. but the 2008 users book says latch in all 3 in 2nd row. but the 2006 or 2007 does not say either 2 sets of latch or 3 or if center can be used with latch.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
According to the LATCH manual, the Commander has three sets of LATCH, so yes, you can use it in the center. (Of course, you could always use the seatbelt instead.) LATCH limit is 48 lbs.

mburks26

thanks . Latch is so much eaiser. One more quest. The 3rd row does it have head rest? I see that maybe one day down the road we may have to have both girls and my dh bosses kids in there. Was wondering how in the world this would work. The bosses kids are
ds 13 no not using anything but seatbelt
dd 8 backless booster
my dd will be in GN or Vivo booster depending on when this happens if before 5 GN if after Vivo
and the other dd will be in a turbo or big kid booster high back.

mburks26

Im looking at online pics and its not showing the center tether on the back of the seat like the outboard. Where is the center tether at?

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
The LATCH manual indicates all 3 second row top tethers are located on the back of the vehicle seat so they should be there when you actually are installing in the vehicle. :) I don't know about the headrests in the third row, but there are no LATCH or tether anchors in the third row, and the third row has two outboard seating positions only.

Jeanum

Staff member
With the third row tumbled and stowed in that photo with the view from the cargo area, the tether anchor is possibly down lower on the seatback and hidden from view by the stowed third row IMHO. Those black, rectangular shaped things on the back of the outboard second row seats could be the outboard tether anchors and/or the release lever for tumbling the second row seats down. I bet it will be crystal clear to you once you're actually in the vehicle and looking behind the second row seat to locate the tether anchor, barring any input from anyone else here who owns a Commander or who has installed carseats in one. :twocents:

mburks26

thanks hopefully it will be easy peesy. shouldnt get them confused with cargo hooks ? Does anyone one know if Hbbs fit in the 3rd row?

Jeanum

Staff member
If there are any cargo hooks in the Commander, they probably wouldn't be on the second row seatbacks where the tether anchors are supposed to be. Cargo hooks are more likely to be behind the third row in the cargo area if there are any in the vehicle at all. Good luck and let us know how the installation works out for you. :)

skipspin

I think these questions have been answered, but to make sure:

Yes, there are head rests in the third row. The bad thing is they cause some seats to not install well, but it sounds like your bosses kids in a seatbelt and NBB would be perfect sitting back there. Some "flimsier" HBB might work, but I'm not sure.

I'd second installing the GN in the center. The headrests in the 2nd row outboard seats are a PITB for tall FFing seats. Three full sets of LATCH, and yes, the TAs are on the back of the seat. Smaller convertibles and combination seats do tend to fit under the 2nd row headrests and RFing seats work great.

mburks26

if we need 2 that are in hbb or 1 hbb and 1 GN then we are out of luck?

I see another need for a RSTV for my dd then, after she out grows the sm and lg that then Im pretty sure that she can use a backless.

mburks26

We didnt use the Jeep we ended up with the bosses Jetta instead and they took the jeep. If I do get to install my GN I will post about the fit.

menfusse

Looks like it's not an issue now, since you ended up with a different vehicle, but I thought I'd pass along a tip for the Commander. We have and 08, with the same darn headrests. I have no experience with a GN, but have with a few other seats. Scenera, TrueFit, Britax DC, and a Regent. I got great installs with all of them FF. The trick is to recline the seat back install, then crank it back up as much as you can. Those seats don't recline much, even at full recline but it is enough to get the seats flush (small gap with the TF at the headrest but back was fully flush). I don't know if it would work with the GN without trying it of course, but it definitely worth a shot if it's a must in the future. I may go to BRU and play with one in a few weeks just to see, lol. I have to try the Radian still as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC