Do You Ever Think About

scoutingbear

The amount of value sitting in plain view in your car? I mean, you aren't supposed to leave your cell phone, IPOD, chargers, etc. in plain view in your car. But all of us have car seats left in plain view? Really, most of my seats are much more expensive than my phone! That was my random thought this morning as I walked back across the parking lot to get my phone so it wasn't sitting in plain view scratching my head as I looked at my MA, Radian, Turbo, and GN all sitting in plain view in my car. :shrug-shoulders: I did mention this to dh and he just :scratcheshead: walked away muttering about how I should find a way to turn a profit on my "obsession". And if there were a tech class nearby that didn't cost $950 I might start down that road!

Mods: if this needs to be moved downstairs, please move it! That is where I meant to post...

Last edited:
ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
YES!
When I first got my Frontier (the first expensive seat I'd ever bought) i was TERRIFIED to leave it in my car, LOL!!!!

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Well, there's not the same market for selling stolen car seats as there is for selling stolen electronics. So, I don't worry about it. :D

DahliaRW

I always joke with dh that the most valuable things in my car are the seats. Fortunately, it's not a high "cash value" thing like the stereo!

rochelle

I figured a thief would rather steal the GPS and laptop in the trunk than to steal 2 dirty car seats.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I cover them with towels-- but it's more to protect from the heat!

That said, I had them drying and was in the process of putting covers back on and stuff after a cleaning and one got stolen from right outside my front door (in an enclosed, gated entry complex.) :(

haha. never. maybe once for a split second to laugh. My seats are the most expensive things in my van. There is no gps in there on a regular basis, just when i need it and take it out of DHs car. when we get out, we stow it in a draw to keep it out of site. noone is going to break into a car to steal carseats... at least i dont think so!

scoutingbear

I am not particularly worried about the seats being stolen, but really, other than the car itself, they are the most expensive things in there. Just a random musing of today. :cool:

vangelder03

I cover them with towels-- but it's more to protect from the heat!

That said, I had them drying and was in the process of putting covers back on and stuff after a cleaning and one got stolen from right outside my front door (in an enclosed, gated entry complex.) :(

my husband was at work and forgot to lock his car and my precious cowmoo marathon car seats were stolen that matched my car both kids loved them i so miss them

2BunniesMommy

Yes, I do think about that.

My usually thought is if we are somewhere and I am sitting in the van while DH goes in somewhere and someone tried to steal the van I would say take it, but let me get my kid's seats first. Yes, I know, I am nuts! ( but hopefully with some understanding!)

babygirlsmom1005

A girlfriend and I just had this discussion when she was in town visiting. With 2 Recaros (my daughter and hers have matching seats), my son's Britax and then the britax stroller all in the Surburban, all in plain site, it kinda hit home how much was just sitting there (around $900.00). She made the comment of theifs are stupid and taking the wrong stuff, the real money would be in the carseats, just unloading them would be a PITA.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've only ever thought of it in terms of insurance replacement in event of a crash :eek: Especially when I have some rare seat in there...
But hah if they steal my Recaro Starts, which seem to list at $349 (I got them way cheaper!) get stolen, now that there's an expiration date on those, they are almost expired :p (as if carseat stealers would know or care about expiration dates, right? lol)

twinsmom

Heck yeah. I have had $1000 worth of seats in my car.

:yeahthat:

I've had brief moments of worry, but in reality, the average person would have no idea what the seats cost, or even care about them. If my van was stolen however, I'd probably be most upset about the carseats!:D

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've thought about it but figure that anyone who realizes their value wouldn't use a seat with an unknown history.
I wouldn't assume that :eek: Any yahoo can see that 'the cow seats' on craigslist sell for a lot of money and steal one to make a buck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC