Any 2001-2003 cars with center LATCH?

U

Unregistered

We are expecting baby #2 at the end of the month and would like to trade in our 1996 car-seat-unfriendly truck for a newer family car. We would really like to get a car with a center-rear LATCH for our new LATCH-compatible infant seat. Are there any cars or small SUVs/minivans with center LATCH systems, or are they all outboard? Since the center rear is the safest place for the baby, I would like to put her there if possible. We would also prefer to buy used. Any suggestions? Thanks for your help, Dawn

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There are some-

Many large GM cars like the Chevy Impala and Pontiac Bonneville have 3 pairs of anchors. Some like the Ford Taurus and Windstar have correctly spaced anchors so that you can use either the center OR the outside spots.

The great majority do not have LATCH in the center, unfortunately. The only way to be sure is to check yourself right now:-(

carseatmom

CPST Instructor
The Ford Escape SUV, all of the years, has LATCH and you can use the middle LATCH anchors if you are not using the outboard positions with LATCH.

I LOVE my Escape :)

Jen E-CPS Tech and mom to 2 and one on the way!

J

JacksDad

The Best rule of thumb, according to LifeSavers, for LATCH in the center, cars without their own anchors in the center, is if the car manual AND the Car Seat manual don't say you can , DON'T use them.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
JacksDad said:
The Best rule of thumb, according to LifeSavers, for LATCH in the center, cars without their own anchors in the center, is if the car manual AND the Car Seat manual don't say you can , DON'T use them.

The best practice guidelines for using LATCH in the center are also contained in our guide here:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html#center

It should be noted that there are indeed vehicles that do specifically state that the center is a designated LATCH position even though they do not have their own anchors. Jen mentioned the Ford Escape, the Ford Taurus is another example. These vehicles were designed with the correct spacing using the inner anchors, and as such they may be used with any LATCH carseat. Of course, there may be other stipulations in the manual like not being able to use the outboard positions simultaneously.

J

JacksDad

CPSDarren said:
The best practice guidelines for using LATCH in the center are also contained in our guide here:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html#center

I agree totally Darren...Very good information. I will just add that if both the Car Manual AND the CSS Manual don't say it is okay, then don't.

Nice Web Site you have going here...

Last edited:
L

ladyhawk24

center latch

If the vehicle you are purchasing does not have a center latch, there are some companies that will install the latch system for you at no charge. Chevrolet has a program like this. I do not know the details, but I know that child safety is becoming more and more of a concern with car manufacturers. Find a vehicle you like... if the sales representative is good, he will look into this matter for you.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
One more thing-

Most vehicles CANNOT be retrofitted with lower anchors in any seating postion. There are a very few exceptions, including the VW Passat and some Audi models.

On the other hand, almost every vehicle since 1990 can have a top tether anchor installed. Unfortunately, many car dealers don't know the difference yet, and that leads to a lot of confusion.

Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/latch.html

M

mom2annika

Jen E said:
The Ford Escape SUV, all of the years, has LATCH and you can use the middle LATCH anchors if you are not using the outboard positions with LATCH.

I LOVE my Escape :)

Jen E-CPS Tech and mom to 2 and one on the way!

I also have the escape and love it, but how do you know that using the middle latch is ok? I have never seen or hear about this. I am getting ready to install a MA. Should I install it in the middle?

Thanks

Simone

carseatmom

CPST Instructor
mom2annika said:
I also have the escape and love it, but how do you know that using the middle latch is ok? I have never seen or hear about this. I am getting ready to install a MA. Should I install it in the middle?

Thanks

Simone

Simone,

In your owners manual there is a section about seating and safety restraints. In this section there is a part about LATCH (page 125). It says "The anchors at the center of the rear seat are further apart than the sets of installation at other seating positions. A child seat with rigid LATCH attachments cannot be installed at this seating position. LATCH compatible child seat (with attachments on belt webbing) can be used at this seating position only if the child seat instructions state that the child seat can be installed to anchors that are 500mm apart. Do not attach a child seat to any lower anchor if an adjacent child seat is attached to that anchor."

So yes I would install your MA in the center with LATCH. It fits nicely. :)

U

Unregistered

Jen,
I also have an Escape. We have a MA rear facing tethered for my 9 mon old DS. It fits great and I love it.

My question for you is... are you going to be able to fit 3 car seats in your Escape? If so, which 3 are you planning to use?? Dh and I hope to have a second kiddo in a couple of years... twins are rampant in my family and DH is convinced that since we got a singleton the first time that twins are our destiny! LOL!!! He says he just can't see how 3 seats could fit... what do you think?

TIA,
Becky

carseatmom

CPST Instructor
Unregistered said:
Jen,
I also have an Escape. We have a MA rear facing tethered for my 9 mon old DS. It fits great and I love it.

My question for you is... are you going to be able to fit 3 car seats in your Escape? If so, which 3 are you planning to use?? Dh and I hope to have a second kiddo in a couple of years... twins are rampant in my family and DH is convinced that since we got a singleton the first time that twins are our destiny! LOL!!! He says he just can't see how 3 seats could fit... what do you think?

TIA,
Becky

Ugh! I swear I replied to this last night, but I must not have posted it and DH closed the window.

Anyway... I had my little man, Logan, on 8-11 and so I've had to squeeze 3 seats in my Escape for almost a month now LOL. Yes they do fit, but not with my MA. I had to switch back to my RA. I have the RA outboard passenger side (RF and FF both fit fine), a Baby Trend LATCH-Loc center, and a Right Fit or SR/C outboard driver side. We are planning to purchase a 04 Sienna VERY soon. We just need the extra space. It's very possible to fit 3 across in the Escape, but it's tight.

HTH!!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC