Just for fun, what's your minimum years of use?

abigaylebelle

When purchasing a new seat, how many years of use are you generally looking for? For example, one year for an infant bucket, 4 years for a convertible, per child?

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't know, I've never thought of that. I have enough kids (and intend to have more) that I just figure my seats will get used, period. I just plan on what I need to keep the kids safe, and pass down seats as I can. :shrug-shoulders:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I've been buying 'the last seat I'll ever need!' since 1998 and have bought 65 of them so far :D
Seriously, though, yeah. About a year-18 months for an infant seat (Snugride 32 fit my dd till she was 19 months old!), 3-5 years for a convertible, 2-4 years for a large harnessed seat, and 4-6 years for a booster. I actually did buy the Radian when dd2 was born and she'll outgrow it right about the time it expires, and I got the Frontier when she was two with the full intention of her using it till it expires when she's 11ish, so I've at least been 'good' there! :)

cookie123

I thought my count at 23 was obsessive, but guess not! The only seat I expected to last was the infant seat for less than a year. I think I bought the first MA thinking it would last until booster age. But then, I don't think I really knew what booster age was at that point!

TerisBoys

I'm with Jools and KQ. I look at how long a seat will last (ie - a Marathon will outlast a Comfortsport), but I don't buy it thinking "I'm going to use this until child C is X years old").

Though - I've purchased/acquired about 35 seats in the last 10 years, so...Add me to the addicts list.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Until my kids outgrow it, it expires, I pass it onto a friend/relative, or I get bored/annoyed enough with it to try another seat, whichever comes first. I'm another addict but it has been nearly a year since I bought a carseat, my longest dry spell since becoming a mom. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've bought 19 restraints in the last 5 years-- that's for personal use, not counting replacement seats, and I have to say "restraints" because one is a vest. ;)

Oh, and I've never had a kid last more than 4 1/2 months in a "regular shell" infant seat (meaning not one like the SS1 etc. with a pretty tall shell and over-22-lb. weight rating) by height. That may be one reason I despise them so... I have long-torsoed children.

mommaon112903

I despise buying car seats, yes I said it! I want something that will last a LONG time, meaning that I *should* not have to buy something else to last to the next stage. I have bought enough seats for one child, and it grates my nerves to think about the money we have poured into seats.

If I had only known what I know now when Josef was smaller, aahhh my wallet would be a much happier person!

April

DH told me last night that he doesn't want to hear about how long a certain seat will last anymore, because I won't keep it for longer than a year before I want something else anyways. Which is actually true, so its not really a factor for me. What's more important in my situation is how versatile the seat is (how many of MY kids can use it).

I just started my carseat obsession in 07'. Logan really has the last seat he will ever need(the nautilus) and michael has a booster(last seat he will ever need). Ahhh, but then I get bored with seats now and thankfully have my home daycare that helps me need more seats :whistle:
Some seats have only lasted weeks in my house, some have lasted years. I love my nautilus and think that one will last forever ;-). Same with my safeseat ;-).

abigaylebelle

I'm with Jools and KQ. I look at how long a seat will last (ie - a Marathon will outlast a Comfortsport), but I don't buy it thinking "I'm going to use this until child C is X years old").

Though - I've purchased/acquired about 35 seats in the last 10 years, so...Add me to the addicts list.

Lol. See I always think about how many years my kid can use a seat. Although I thought the ss1 would last to 2 years max and it looks like he'll be 3. There are a few seats I would like to have just to mix it up. Have to justify them as a travel seat or something though...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh, wait until you start totally making up reasons.

That's how I got my RSTV. We could have kept switching cars every time my mom took the kids anywhere, but it's nice not to have to...

emandbri

Not counting an infant seat I buy a seat intending to use them until it expires but I also have 4 kids so someone will use it! lol The my ride is going to be the exception, I don't want to use it forward facing so it will find a new home when Elizabeth outgrows it rear-facing.

rochelle

my kids were in a convertible since newborn so we did not buy any infant car seat

convertible - newborn to 2yrs
(DS1 was at 95% so we assume worst case of outgrowing at 2yrs old)

high back harness - 3yrs to 6yrs
high back booster - 6yrs to 9yrs
2nd high back booster - 9yrs to ......

my boys are rough on their car seats and we go for long road trips twice a year. so 3yrs per seat is good enough for "value for money"

scoutingbear

We originally bought to "last a long time"...that said we bought an MA for a then unseen foster to adopt baby (got C at 6 months, he will be 3 next month and is dead even with the next to top slots on it...but doesn't like it anymore because it has no cupholder) and we got a Chase when we found out A was coming to join us (at just turned 3 years) because we could use it as a booster ...thankfully I found this site and we only used it as a booster 1x in an emergency situation after he outgrew the weight limits.

Since then we have owned plenty of other seats...I talked dh into 4 (yes, 4) GN's because of the hbb and nbb conversions. BUT, I get bored, don't like how the turbo fits and have my eye on a Monterey...we also owned (for a very short time) an Evenflo convertible (tribute?) which we hated, an Apex (didn't like the width), and we even at first used a hand me down seat (!) before we knew better in dh's car. We also still have a RN which we frequently switch out in the cars when we need to fit someone else in the back seats.

So, no, don't look at how long it will last but more what our needs are. Even though we don't use the MA as much, I hold onto it because of foster babies since it does RF.

heyruthie

sometimes i've justified buying a seat more based on current need and price--as in cost per year. i don't mind buying a $35 Scenera if it's going to be used for only 1-2 years (or less!), because the cost per year is cheap. however, i wouldn't spring for a more expensive convertible if it was going to be used for a short time.

but the more $$$ a seat, the longer I want to use it. i've used the RA for almost the entire life of the seat, and it was the most $$$ seat I've ever bought at this point (i think.....;)) i look at cost per year.

ginny4

i hope to use a seat to its fullest or close to it. for either one of my children or mulitple of them

the shortest time so far is the scenera. never liked it that much. bought for DS3 (youngest of 4) as an extra seat. i had it for about 2years then sold it.

the rest have been used or planned to be used til expired, outgrown by all my children, or crashed.

i planned that the FPSVD would be used longer but it will still have a good 3 years left on it when i anticipate DS3 outgrowing it. oh well

what i'm saying is i want the minimum of 4 years use out of any seat, preferrably all 6 yrs

Pixels

Infant seat I expect to use for about a year per child. DD is just over a year now and still has 3 pounds and inches of growing room in her itty bitty baby seat.

Convertible I expect to fit a child to around age 4 minimum, preferably longer. After that I could buy a combination seat if needed for the extra growing room, or direct to dedicated booster depending on the age and maturity of the child. DD will fit in the Radian forever at the rate she's growing. Literally, they will expire in 8 years before she outgrows them.

Any seat I expect to have a minimum 6 year lifespan and be no older than one year when I purchase it (if purchasing new), preferably less than 6 months. I only have one DD right now but do plan to have another baby so the infant seat needs to last long enough for that baby, too.

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
I'm definitely into getting as many years as possible out of a seat - that's my obsession. I bought a Roundabout in '99, used it until it expired, bought a Marathon to replace it, used it until it expired. Moved youngest from the MA to a Husky, which I also plan to use until it expires.

I get a LOT of satisfaction out of using seats until they expire! The only purchases I've made recently were for specific situations - the Radian for a plane trip & for 3-across in dh's car, the Start for my wonky 3rd row, the Air because the Turbos were expiring.

If I were having my babies now, with the seats available now, I'd get Radians and use them from birth until they expired!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC