Limo/towncar question

Northriver

We are taking a southbound cruise and I'm looking into a limo/towncar for transportation from the pier in Vancouver to the airport, about a 45 minute ride. We do have the option of taking the cruiseline busses but the towncar is faster as well as cheaper.

Currently, I am planning to take my Radian and a Ride Safer Travel Vest.
Are either approved for use in Canada and if not would it matter for a 45 minute ride across Vancouver?

Limo company charges $52.50, customized vehicles have lap/shoulder belts but no LATCH or tether anchor. Seats are all outboard. I could use the RSTV but it would have to be outboard in the 3rd row seats, center seats are facing the back of the vehicle.

ETA: this company apparantly has LATCH/tether anchors in their stretch limo, for $62.

Another company charges $90 for regular SUV's with LATCH/tether anchors so I could install the Radian or use the RSTV in a center position.

The cruiseline charges $30pp, so it would cost us $120 to take the bus and I think we'd get to the airport faster with private transportation.

WWYD?

ADS

sparkyd

As far as I know you could certainly install your Radian. I don't think the travel vest can be used in place of a car seat in Canada, but I also don't think that by law you have to use a restraint in a taxi/limo. But I would want to.

I'd really prefer other people comment on the actual travel/car seat part, my reason for responding is to say that whether or not your own transportation is going to be more efficient depends on how smoothly things are run at the pier in Vancouver. I've never cruised out of there, but I have experienced complete choas upon debarkation in other places (abolute worst: Ft. Lauderdale) and had a really hard time getting onto a taxi/shuttle. If you are going to hire someone in advance, make sure that they have experience picking people up there and establish very clearly where they will be and how you will find them. You could find yourself getting pressured about installing the car seats as well, since they'll likely want you to get in the car and get out of the way ASAP.

Honestly, unless I knew things would go smoothly, I'd have reservations about paying a car company in advance for service. When I think back to our Ft. Lauderdale experience, I'm quite certain we would never have found our car/limo if we had ordered one in advance, and I'd bet money that the driver would have taken someone else instead. It was just too crazy and the line up of taxis/shuttles etc. to get in and pick people up was insane.

Northriver

Both the companies I'm looking were recommended by other cruisers. We are docked at the smaller Ballantyne pier and we are the only ship there that day so I think we will be ok there finding our towncar/limo. We have an early flight so we should be among the first off the ship.

I'm thinking the RSTV is a good option, I can get in on my dd while we wait in line for customs and be able to hop in our vehicle without messing with the carseat. I don't particularly like to use the RSTV outboard, however.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC