Compass booster for bigger kids.

menfusse

I know that I've read the fit isn't great of the lap belt on smaller booster kids, but my dd is 7.5 and 70-ish lbs. We need another high back for dh's s-10 pick up that she rides to school in every morning. We've been using a lbb, but I'm getting paranoid and need a high back booster with foam. Thing is, the truck gets used a lot by my FIL and he has to take the booster out and put behind the seats when he takes the truck. (It has those little jump seats so there's room to put the booster back there out of the way, and no we don't use the jump seats for actual passengers) Anywho, I see that the Compass folds and I think that would be our only option for him being able to continue to put the seat back there. It would make it easier on everyone. So, should I have any concerns with a bigger kid getting a good belt fit in the Compass?

ADS

menfusse

Depends on the kid and the vehicle. My kids fit pretty poorly in some cars, and fine in other.
Hmmm...well, I'll be ordering from Target. I can always return it to the actual store if I need to. But that's the only draw back to this booster right? Inconsistency in belt fit? Otherwise it's a sturdy booster with decent SIP?

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
The head wings do have foam, but are not the greatest. Would your FIL be willing to disassemble a Monterey?

menfusse

The head wings do have foam, but are not the greatest. Would your FIL be willing to disassemble a Monterey?
I doubt he'd be able to, and I can't spend that much. I have to buy from target (credit card), as I am broke and won't be finding the extra in the budget for he foreseeable future. There's no balance on my Target card and I don't want to spend more than I can pay off in a couple of months. They have the Vivo, but it kind of irks me to pay 90 bucks for it when I know that other places have it for $60. They of course have the turbo, but I worry about the seat depth for my dd's legs and there's all the Evenflo confidence delux, the one with foam. I mean, I could go with any booster and we'd just take it in and out of the truck and into and out of the house as needed, I was just trying to save everybody the trouble if the Compass was a decent booster. What to do...???

Yoshi

I think the fit should be ok for an older child- when DD was 4.5, it was not a good fit, now at 6, it is MUCH better. You just have to try it out. The newer models (the ones with "ultra" in the name) have deeper head wings and more foam than the older ones- we got a newer one. We love ours!
As compared to a Recaro Vivo:

100_4195.jpg

menfusse

Oh that pic really helps! The wings are practically as deep as the vivo, huh? I really think we'll be ok with a compass at my dd's size. If not, I can take it back to target. Thanks!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC