Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

I just found this website about rear-facing.

I just came across this site. Has anyone ever seen this? She brings up a good point about the crash videos. These accidents happen so fast, and the videos are always slow motion. Does anyone have a crash video in real time, that would show how fast, hard, and quick the child neck and body moves?
    TIA!
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    I'm not sure they even bother making movies in real time of crash tests, you couldn't see anything (I know when Britax ran the test sled for us on a tour, it was very anti-climactic...blink and miss it, it takes way under a second). But still, if you watched it over and over it would probably get the point across, I have to agree!

Cool page. I like this one, too http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

The part about watching crash test videos that always gets me is that's 30 MPH!! Can you even imagine what 70 mph looks like! EEEEEEK!! I hate to be a stinker, but in the RF video, it looks like the seat is tethered to the front of the "vehicle" with something like lower anchors. I would love to see a video of a seat rebounding and the difference the Britax tether makes!

Quote Originally Posted by joolsplus2 View Post

Cool page. I like this one, too http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

Hey Julie, I was looking at that exact article while you were posting

I think Wendy was trying to remember where she heard the "4 times more likely" stat. I am going to PM her. I can't find the thread, but I think that is what she was asking about.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

Quote Originally Posted by my3girls View Post
    The part about watching crash test videos that always gets me is that's 30 MPH!! Can you even imagine what 70 mph looks like! EEEEEEK!! I hate to be a stinker, but in the RF video, it looks like the seat is tethered to the front of the "vehicle" with something like lower anchors. I would love to see a video of a seat rebounding and the difference the Britax tether makes!
    I don't think in that video that seat is Tethered? I think that is just cords, and cables hooked up to a computer to collect data. I think the seat rebounds quite a bit. What does everyone else think???
    I would hope the seat wouldn't rebound that much with a tether.
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar
    Yeah, there are always a bunch of cords and straps and measuring doohickeys all over seats.

30 mph is a VERY fast crash. Pretty much close to 40 and everyone in the car is going to be hamburger anyway (It seems like there are crashes at highway speeds but it's really very uncommon, there's almost always a huge amount of braking involved, unless the driver loses consciousness and the cruise control is on and they hit a wall ).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar
    Nodding here in agreement. Speaking as someone who was "only" going about 30-35 m.p.h. right before crashing in my old Vue two years ago, it happened in a flash with a few milliseconds to react, and the stopping part was quite rough. Thank goodness for seatbelts, carseats and crumple ones.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

To crash at only 30 MPH is still violent, yes & it's also important to remember, as Julie mentioned, that it's far more common to crash close to home or on town roads than at high speeds....
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}

Okay, I'm watching this rear facing video and noticing that this is a pretty small child. Even still, the feet go into the seat and the seat folds up over his legs. Where on earth would the legs of say, a 3 or 4 year old go in an accident like that? If they were flopped over the outsides of the seat then they would be crushed, right? If they were sitting froggy style then their knees would be jammed up in their chest and possibly hit them directly in the face. Am I wrong? I know there aren't any recorded cases of injuries because of extended rf, but I read that like only 4% of toddlers are rear facing. Maybe there aren't stats on this because hardly anyone does it for that long. I'm not AGAINST it because I know to an extent it can be very helpful, but at some point, couldn't it be dangerous?

Lightbulb Sprawled out comfy like my Leila....

• 2.5 years old >
    • Almost 4 years old >
      • (Britax Wizard/Boulevard)
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
    http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx

There's never been a single recorded case of broken legs/ankles/hips from extended RF, but there have been thousands of broken necks from premature RF
    TIFF ~ doula & all hours childcare provider
    SCARLA: winter '02 . . . Jr. Roller Derby level III
    BEAR: spring '11 ... Recaro Sport + Clek Oobr
    RAHNE: summer '17 ... MicoMax30 + RadianRXT
    childcare: 0-7yrs... Contender + Frontier Clicktight
    {emergencies: Scenera Next, Highback, Topside}