I just found this website about rear-facing.

lovinwaves

I just came across this site. Has anyone ever seen this? She brings up a good point about the crash videos. These accidents happen so fast, and the videos are always slow motion. Does anyone have a crash video in real time, that would show how fast, hard, and quick the child neck and body moves?
TIA!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm not sure they even bother making movies in real time of crash tests, you couldn't see anything (I know when Britax ran the test sled for us on a tour, it was very anti-climactic...blink and miss it, it takes way under a second). But still, if you watched it over and over it would probably get the point across, I have to agree!

Cool page. I like this one, too http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9916868/

:)

my3girls

The part about watching crash test videos that always gets me is that's 30 MPH!! Can you even imagine what 70 mph looks like! EEEEEEK!! I hate to be a stinker, but in the RF video, it looks like the seat is tethered to the front of the "vehicle" with something like lower anchors. I would love to see a video of a seat rebounding and the difference the Britax tether makes!

lovinwaves

The part about watching crash test videos that always gets me is that's 30 MPH!! Can you even imagine what 70 mph looks like! EEEEEEK!! I hate to be a stinker, but in the RF video, it looks like the seat is tethered to the front of the "vehicle" with something like lower anchors. I would love to see a video of a seat rebounding and the difference the Britax tether makes!

I don't think in that video that seat is Tethered? I think that is just cords, and cables hooked up to a computer to collect data. I think the seat rebounds quite a bit. What does everyone else think???
I would hope the seat wouldn't rebound that much with a tether.:(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, there are always a bunch of cords and straps and measuring doohickeys all over seats.

30 mph is a VERY fast crash. Pretty much close to 40 and everyone in the car is going to be hamburger anyway (It seems like there are crashes at highway speeds but it's really very uncommon, there's almost always a huge amount of braking involved, unless the driver loses consciousness and the cruise control is on and they hit a wall :( ).

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Nodding here in agreement. Speaking as someone who was "only" going about 30-35 m.p.h. right before crashing in my old Vue two years ago, it happened in a flash with a few milliseconds to react, and the stopping part was quite rough. :eek: Thank goodness for seatbelts, carseats and crumple ones.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
To crash at only 30 MPH is still violent, yes & it's also important to remember, as Julie mentioned, that it's far more common to crash close to home or on town roads than at high speeds....

bbandit

Okay, I'm watching this rear facing video and noticing that this is a pretty small child. Even still, the feet go into the seat and the seat folds up over his legs. Where on earth would the legs of say, a 3 or 4 year old go in an accident like that? If they were flopped over the outsides of the seat then they would be crushed, right? If they were sitting froggy style then their knees would be jammed up in their chest and possibly hit them directly in the face. Am I wrong? I know there aren't any recorded cases of injuries because of extended rf, but I read that like only 4% of toddlers are rear facing. Maybe there aren't stats on this because hardly anyone does it for that long. I'm not AGAINST it because I know to an extent it can be very helpful, but at some point, couldn't it be dangerous?

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Sprawled out comfy like my Leila....

• 2.5 years old >
    th_RF-BritaxWizard-ChevyBlazer-Summer.jpg
  • Almost 4 years old >
    th_RF-BritaxWizard-FordEscape-Summer2.jpg
    • (Britax Wizard/Boulevard)
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx
http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbumAll.aspx

There's never been a single recorded case of broken legs/ankles/hips from extended RF, but there have been thousands of broken necks from premature RF :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC