5 Carseats in a 2005 Suburban

stephpook

I am posting on behalf of a friend who will need to fit 5 car seats in a 2005 Suburban beginning in August. She needs help figuring out what to put where and will also need to buy at least one or two new seats. I told her if anyone could figure out a solution you guys could :), so she gave me permission to post for her.

She has three girls and is expecting her fourth in August. She also watches her nephew during the day. Here are their current stats:

-#1 will be 6 in June, 46.5", 44 pounds, rides in a SK Radian, 3rd row drivers side outboard
-#2 is 4, 42", 39 pounds, rides in a SK Radian, 3rd row passenger side outboard
-#3 is 26 months, 34.5", 28 pounds, rides FF in a Marathon, second row drivers side outboard
-Nephew is 14 months, 31", 24 pounds, rides RF in a Marathon, second row middle

One of the Radians actually belongs to her nephew, but is currently being used FF for one of the girls because of how much room it took up front to back when RF.

She will be putting 3 seats in the third row, but doesn't want to put a RF seat back there because of how difficult it is to buckle. The original plan was to purchase a third Radian and do three across Radians, but her oldest has maybe 1/2-1" left before she's even with the top harness slots in her Radian so I'm not sure that's the best option for them. I suggested perhaps she might want to look at a high-back booster. So can anyone suggest a narrow high back booster that will fit between two Radians (or to one side of two Radians) in the third row of a 2005 Suburban?

She will also need a seat for the new baby coming in August as her Graco infant bucket seat was purchased before the 6 year old was born. At this point, she is unsure whether she wants to get another bucket seat or just put the baby into a convertible from birth so suggestions for both would be great. Her babies are typically in the 6.5-7 pound, 18" range at birth.

I've heard that the Marathon doesn't typically fit newborns well and a rear-facing Radian seems to be out so even if they go with a convertible she'll probably have to buy a new one (one of the Marathons may be expiring soon anyway). I would guess the infant seat will be put second row center with the RF Marathon next to it. The second row passenger outboard seat is not in use to allow access to the third row.

Oh, and the third row doesn't have LATCH, but she's not sure about top tether anchors.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

ADS

J-max

CPST Instructor
First off, the 3rd row does not have latch and has only 1 teather spot - for either the drovers side outboard or the middle, depending on the year and model - look in the owners manual.

I had an 04, and when I have had to have 5 car seats, my best result was 3 across the middle seat and 2 in the back, with kids that can mostly buckle themselves in the back, and letting them climb over the 3rd seat from the rear doors. You can get almost any 3 seats across the 2nd row. I am thinking that 3 radians, or possibly 2 radians and a skinny bucket, or maybe the coccoro might fit across the 3rd row, but it will be tight. If she is wanting to booster 1 of the kids, I would not want a booster rider in a 3 across the 3 rd row. I think it would be difficult to buckle and unbuckle. The best option for a booster kid, may be putting her in the pass side second row seat and then putting the booster in and out for access to the 3rd row

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have a 99 suburban, so we are older. The only 3 across I have done in the 3rd row have been 2 boosters outboard with an infant seat or scerena in the middle.

Does she have the nephew everyday? I agree with the suggestion of booster for oldest once she outgrows rn in the passenger 2nd row, so you can still push it forward to get 2 ff kids in the back. I move that seat back and then climb in to buckle kids from 2nd row for 3rd row seats.
Also if going places by herself with 5 kids I suggest the graco safeseat1. Its a lot of kids to buckle in the winter when you get to the truck.

stephpook

So does anyone know if there's an infant bucket seat with a base narrow enough to fit in the third row (passenger side outboard) with the Radians in the center and drivers side outboard - or is it just too narrow back there?

Also, anyone have recommendations for a booster that will be a good fit for the oldest girl (keeping in mind that she is on the taller side and slender)? I'm assuming that if it won't fit in the third row, that it will potentially need to be moved every time they need to access the third row so that would be a consideration.

Thanks!

skipspin

I'd try the Marathon in the 3rd row with the Radians. The larger Britax seats puzzle very well with the Radian when they are facing the same direction.

Then, put the baby and RFing nephew in the middle seat.

This should work until the oldest doesn't fit in the Radian anymore- but doesn't require buying a new seat. Hopefully she just won't grow much till nephew is ready to be FFing and move to the back!

lovemyfamily

I have an 01 Yukon XL, same vehicle and it would be really tough to do 3 seats in the 3rd row. That is a narrow seat because it fits between the wheel wells. As someone else suggested, I would do 3 across in the middle row and have the 2 riders in the 3rd row access their seats through the rear of the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC