DH actually said it: "She has to go FFing now! Look!"

heyruthie

"....her legs are too long!"

DH has always been on board with the fact DD is still RFing, and I'm sure I've explained to him a dozen times WHY she is still Rfing (esp. since she's <25 pounds.) And I guess I thought he KNEW all the reasons. But in the past few weeks, DD has changed her "normal" position for her legs--from froggie/crosslegged to hanging over the sides of the captain's chair. Well, today when DH put her into her seat, and saw that, he freaked out!

I was actually so shocked, I had trouble explaining why she is "fine." Of course, now the reasons are clear to me, but sometimes it's MUCH harder to explain these things to a LO that we think should already "know!" Honestly, I was flabbergasted that he hadn't heard anything I've apparently told him about ERFing in the past.....oh well.....I supposed I don't retain much of the stuff that he's interested in and sees as a "hobby."

ADS

MomE

Oh my goodness! My husband just said the same thing yesterday too! He even pulled on my daughter's legs (not very hard!) to make her feet press right up against the vehicle seat. Usually she can barely kick the seat if she tries really hard!

And to make matters worse he even pointed out that the straps are in a slot below her shoulders, asking "Do these things go higher?" I pointed out that there is a slot ABOVE her shoulders, but before I could explain how that is not safe, he said, "Oh yeah! There! Let's move them up!"

Holy heck! I set him straight, but I was so floored that he even said these things to begin with. I've discussed car seat safety with him, even showed him videos! And he agreed with me on it, but now he's saying these things?!?! Apparently my husband hasn't heard me either! *sigh*

MomE

My experience gets even worse!

Last night my husband asked, "What are you going to do with her old seat?" Meaning the infant seat she has [almost] outgrown and that is being replaced this week. I said I hadn't thought that far ahead, and he said (!!!), "I was thinking I could put it in my car to have in case she's with me!"

Like, HOLY HECK! She's outgrown that thing! I told him that when he made the feet comment! And that was just a few days ago!

dawnp15

I'm also having a really hard time with my DH . That's one of the main reasons i joined here!!! He thinks that i'm just being crazy because every time he buckles my 3 year old in i always re-do it. Sometimes her straps are off her shoulders cause he dosn't tighten them, or her chest clip will be down almost by her belly button!!! I know where we live most people are not very car seat safty aware, and that was including myself. I had my DD FF at 11 months cause she was 20lbs and i figured she was big enough. Well now i have learned about ERF and my 6 month old twins will be ERF. So now i think ahead to another 6 months to a year when they are a little older and he really is going to fight me on this!! Like i said it's just not a common thing around here. So now i plan on showing him the video's on why ERF is so important!!!! Thanks everyone here for sharing everyone has been such a help to me!!!:thumbsup:

heyruthie

DH is actually quite good about it, excpet for the $$$--mostly because we don't have it :D so he alwasy gets edgy when i start talking about CRs because he's worried about another expenditure. anyway, i just need to show him that statistic that shows that kids actually had MORE broken legs while FFing.....does anyone know where that graph/chart is?

MomE

I'm also having a really hard time with my DH . That's one of the main reasons i joined here!!! He thinks that i'm just being crazy because every time he buckles my 3 year old in i always re-do it. Sometimes her straps are off her shoulders cause he dosn't tighten them, or her chest clip will be down almost by her belly button!!!

Me too! Oh my goodness! My husband never gets it right. One time when my daughter was little and we snapped her seat into her stroller he loosened her straps while she was in the stroller. Then he put her in the car, and I asked him if he double checked that she was in properly - the seat and her harness, etc. He said yes. We get home and the straps are all falling down and WAY lose. My stomach flopped around a bit when I saw that. Oh my goodness! And he always gets the straps twisted. I don't even know how he does it every time. And he's hardly ever around cuz he decides to leave us for months at a time just cuz he feels like it. So it's not like some random thing where he just made a mistake that one time (it happens). And when I do double check and he's done it wrong, I try to show him, but he gets all peeved that I'm telling him he's wrong (he's just that way).

Anyway, now I double check it and let him deal with it if he gets all huffy. But I'm afraid to have him take her anywhere in his car without me!

Erika Ruth

My husband once installed the infant seat in the back of our car belt only (totally fine) but he didn't tighten the belt. He went around a corner, and the whole seat tipped over. Since then, he's been fantastic. :)

Erika

spirit19

I'm also having a really hard time with my DH . That's one of the main reasons i joined here!!! He thinks that i'm just being crazy because every time he buckles my 3 year old in i always re-do it. Sometimes her straps are off her shoulders cause he dosn't tighten them, or her chest clip will be down almost by her belly button!!! I know where we live most people are not very car seat safty aware, and that was including myself. I had my DD FF at 11 months cause she was 20lbs and i figured she was big enough. Well now i have learned about ERF and my 6 month old twins will be ERF. So now i think ahead to another 6 months to a year when they are a little older and he really is going to fight me on this!! Like i said it's just not a common thing around here. So now i plan on showing him the video's on why ERF is so important!!!! Thanks everyone here for sharing everyone has been such a help to me!!!:thumbsup:

My dh is visual...there are some great utube videos that I used to get the point across. He has been on board since seeing those! when I was showing him the shoulder strap was off or not tight enough or any of the other "issues" I always preface..."I am not criticizing but something I learned on the car seat board was (insert your words here)" That way I wasn't telling him what to do but showing him what I had learned.

MomE

One of the few reasons I'm glad to be a single mama :ROTFLMAO:

Ugh! I pretty much am. I'm still legally married, but my husband disappears for months at a time because he can't take responsibility. Seriously. And I make all the decisions and pay all the bills cuz he refuses to! *sigh*

But even if I wasn't married, I'd still have to deal with him. Darned if you are Darned if you aren't.... :p

mine thinks it is silly at this point with our daughter, who is still rfing.. she sits that way in our captains chairs too, he has stoped bugging me now that she sits with her legs down the sides, in our passat he was all "I think this is silly, she doesn't need to rear face till her knees are in her mouth."

I kind of just ignore him and he knows not to mess with the kids seats, he can't install them or anything correctly.. one day i should test him and have him install all three seats and then find all his mistakes.

U

Unregistered

so am i the only "DH" that is having to convince my wife about car seat safety ?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC