Mia Moda Viva Supreme Infant seat, Pro's and con's??

barnmama25

I have never seen one of these seats in person before. I am going in on an infant seat for my sister's baby shower and I need all the info I can get from somebody who has used this brand before.
I was originally going to get her the Keyfit30 (I had the KF for my DD and loved it) but money is getting tight, and I know I can talk her into buying a nice convertible once baby outgrows the infant seat.

OK so I need to know, how is the install? How well does it hold newborns (main reason why I was going with the KF over the SR32)??? Does the handle need to be down while in motion? Does anybody have any pictures of maybe a newborn in this seat?? How long is the seat back? Do you think a child would make it to the full 22lbs???

Any advice is greatly appreciated! I can't believe her little bean is almost here!

ADS

barnmama25

Re: Mia Moda Infant seat, Pro's and con's??

Shameless bump...... Has nobody on this website tried or seen this seat in person???

barnmama25

I think I am going to go with this seat regardless of no advice. I showed it to my sister and she liked it. I then went on to their website and had all my questions answered.
Pro's:
Life span of 7 years!
Handle can be in any locked position.
Infant padding can be used from 4-12lbs.
It has a smaller chest clip designed for newborns.
There are two harness adjustment loops.
It has a shoulder belt guide on the back of the seat just like the European seats, and yes it is allowed for use in the US!!

The only Con I can find is that it only holds to 22lbs, but really this is her first and only child, once he outgrows the infant seat it shouldn't be that much of a hassle for her to carry him from house to car.

Oh yeah and their website has some really great safety advice that you don't usually see on other car seat websites. Click here to check it out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Eh. I was not impressed with their car seat advice.

It looks like a nice seat for what it is (looks a lot like the Dorel seats, but a few nicer touches.) I've just never seen one in person or heard much about it to give you any advice. :)

capeKO71

Honestly - get her a safeseat - albeebaby has them for $99

http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-infant-safe-seat-step-1-8a24mia-mia.html

http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-infant-safeseat-step-1-8a15nct-nectar.html

or even just a snugride with a front harness adjuster - http://www.albeebaby.com/graco-snugride-infant-car-seat-8f10grt3-green-tea.html

then she'll be able to use it with a bunch of different strollers vs. the mia moda that might not be as compatible.

If you wanted to get her something really "hip" looking, you could always do something like this: http://www.albeebaby.com/quinny-zapp-stroller-capri.html with this http://www.albeebaby.com/maxi-cosi-micro-infant-car-seat-ocean-reflection.html (for a "travel system" - but note the stroller must be used with the carseat for infants as it does not recline)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

We will have a full review of the Mia Moda Viva Supreme 5080 this week or next week at www.carseatblog.com . I saw it at Lifesavers. It's a reasonable option and very distinctive with one of the sporty Mia Moda strollers.

That said, the Chicco Keyfit is a very nice alternative, too. We'll have a review of that one very soon as well.

barnmama25

No offense but I hate Graco with a passion, so no Snugrides or Safeseats or Snugride32's will ever be in our future, besides the Safeseat has clearly proven by those on here who have used it with a newborn, that it just plain sucks unless you have an enormous baby. And stroller compatibility is not a worry since she is getting a Peg Perego Uno from yours truely.

So thanks again but I was only looking for advice from those who have used the seat and could tell me how the install was and how well infants fit, not what is a cheaper tried and true option, because honestly if I was looking for cheaper only, I would get the Safety First seat they sell at Wal-Mart. :twocents:

(I hope you don't take this post as being snarky, because that isn't my intention, I just really really detest Graco)

barnmama25

Thanks Darren!!! I know the Keyfit is a great option. It is what I was going to get her because I had one for my own daughter but with the price and the cover options out now I think I will pass this time around.
Now maybe in a few years if I have another child of my own then I may reconsider. But right now I'm kind of excited to get this one and try it out (ok really I am more excited for the Euro style install!)

crunchierthanthou

I've been playing with one for the last week or two.

you've discovered for yourself, but yes, the handle can be left up.

It installs fine with the base- pretty straightforward with no obvious quirks that will cause incompatibilities. it just has the regular clip style LATCH hooks. I didn't find the european routing to be that big of a selling point. it's only for use without the base and there's nothing to serve as a lock-off. It's a bit of a pain to get the seat in and tight with the baby buckled in, plus the locking shoulder retractor caused it to tip a bit.

The bottom slot is 6.75" without the newborn insert. I think it should fit tiny babies okay.

I do have some concerns with the harness. the webbing bunches because is too wide for both the buckle tongues and splitter plate.

barnmama25

Eh. I was not impressed with their car seat advice.

They could be a little bit more proactive in the extended rear facing catagory but I thought they gave some nice pointers on the fact that car seats are just that. Something designed to protect your child in the car and should not be used as a baby bed while your child is asleep:whistle: And also making sure to buy a stroller that reclines flat and placing the newborn in the seat instead of the car seat, is something usually not written by other companies (uh hmmm.... Graco, Evenflo anybody??)
Besides isn't the proactive part our job???? I mean until laws change there is technically only so much that these companies can say in regards to extended rear facing, and seeing as Mia Moda does not sell a convertible car seat in America or an infant seat that holds anything over 22lbs, how much more could they advocate?? Again that's just my :twocents:

barnmama25

I've been playing with one for the last week or two.

you've discovered for yourself, but yes, the handle can be left up.

It installs fine with the base- pretty straightforward with no obvious quirks that will cause incompatibilities. it just has the regular clip style LATCH hooks. I didn't find the european routing to be that big of a selling point. it's only for use without the base and there's nothing to serve as a lock-off. It's a bit of a pain to get the seat in and tight with the baby buckled in, plus the locking shoulder retractor caused it to tip a bit.

The bottom slot is 6.75" without the newborn insert. I think it should fit tiny babies okay.

I do have some concerns with the harness. the webbing bunches because is too wide for both the buckle tongues and splitter plate.

Yeah I doubt my sister would use the Euro routing path, but I cant wait to try it.
With the wider harness, does it seem to twist easily when it bunches up?? How about the buckle tongues, do they ever get twisted??

crunchierthanthou

Yeah I doubt my sister would use the Euro routing path, but I cant wait to try it.
With the wider harness, does it seem to twist easily when it bunches up?? How about the buckle tongues, do they ever get twisted??

it came out of the box well on its way to a twist in the buckle tongue. I didn't notice it twisting too badly the times I buckled dd in it though.

here it is straight out of the box-

click to enlarge

barnmama25

Hmmmm..... reminds me of my Recaro Como. What seat would you compare the belt to??? I mean thickness wise?? Is it silky soft like the Titan, Recaro's? Or thicker and a little rougher like the Graco, Britax??

crunchierthanthou

it's sort of thick. it's certainly not silky, but it's no Marathon either. It's similar to the Scenera (I just went around my house feeling harnesses, lol).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

So you're going with it? I've seen a few that customers have at BRU and they look nice. Handle being left up allowed in the car is a huge plus in my book :D
If no one (smart advocates like US!) buys them, they can't improve their product, right? I have one of their strollers and love it, the quality is really top notch.

:)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

I mean until laws change there is technically only so much that these companies can say in regards to extended rear facing, and seeing as Mia Moda does not sell a convertible car seat in America or an infant seat that holds anything over 22lbs, how much more could they advocate?? Again that's just my :twocents:

By the time my kids were 20 pounds, I didn't see much utility in an infant carrier. It was too heavy to actually carry with a big baby in it. Plus, by 20 pounds, most babies should fit quite well in a rear-facing convertible. I think 22 pounds for an infant seat is very reasonable for most situations, though clearly a higher limit may be handy in some cases. Extended rear-facing really is the realm of tall convertibles, in my opinion, while infant seats really should be designed to fit newborns and small babies well. Sometimes, trying to accomodate kids at one end of the spectrum ends up with compromises for kids at the other end...

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member

it's sort of thick. it's certainly not silky, but it's no Marathon either. It's similar to the Scenera (I just went around my house feeling harnesses, lol).

Similar to the Frontier, perhaps? Mine tend to twist from time to time, wheras the Marathon/Boulevard straps are twist-free.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

I think that they can absolutely advocate ERF. They can say, "After your baby outgrows the infant carrier" (oh, and some mention of height should be given as well as weight) "she should remain rear-facing in a convertible seat that goes rear and forward facing as long as possible. There are many quality seats on the market to choose from." See? It's not hard! ;)

barnmama25

Sure they could say that but they don't sell a convertible seat so really they are telling you to go buy somebody else's product if they say children should remain rear facing longer than 1 year and 20 lbs. Which I'm not saying they shouldn't advise extended rear facing, it's just from the marketing standpoint, how can you market something you do not produce or sell (in reference to convertibles)?? YKWIM?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC