Nautilus question

U

Unregistered

Is this seat OK for a 25lbs, 34 inch, 18 month old? We don't RF(personal choice)-so other than the fact that it cannot- is this a safe seat for an 18 month old?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
For a 25-pound 18-month-old, the Nautilus might be okay. It is going to seem huge, though, since your baby is still so little.

Maedze

The seat has been tested and certified for a 12 month 20 lb child.

As to whether it is safe...it meets minimum limits. It does not meet anything like what I would consider safe standards for a child of that age.

If you can address why you don't rearface maybe we can work on a solution? Because 'personal choice' doesn't carry much weight against the fact that your child can be severely, severely injured or worse in an accident forward facing.

Hopefully if you describe the particular problems you were facing, we can help you with a thoughtful solution :thumbsup:

Evolily

If you can address why you don't rearface maybe we can work on a solution? Because 'personal choice' doesn't carry much weight against the fact that your child can be severely, severely injured or worse in an accident forward facing.
:yeahthat:

U

Unregistered

Multiple reasons- one being the state we live in is ridiculously HOT and since air doesn't reach her RF(we RF until 17 months) she screamed non-stop and was covered in sweat during car rides. So we're dealing with heat issues or RF issues. Double edged sword.

She's in a Britax BLVD in my car- but this is an extra seat for my husbands vehicle to pick her up from daycare a few days a week.

I already bought the Nautilus- and am glad it meets standards. Considering her height mimics a 2+ year old, she really doesn't look all that tiny in it.

Thanks! :)

myliljunebugs

Just in case it helps you to RF her in the Blvd in the main vehicle, if you point the air vents up toward the ceiling it seems to reflect off and hit the kids better (FF or RF). This even worked in my SUV that I owned that didn't have rear vents. I thought I would have the same issue with DD, but was able to RF her until 3 yrs 35lbs because of this.

Maedze

Good job getting her to 17 months! You've done a lot more than most parents do and you should be proud :)

Can I direct you to an entry in the Car Seat Blog by a mama who has dealt with the same problem? She's listed some clever/innovative solutions to deal with exactly the problem you faced :thumbsup:

http://carseatblog.com/?p=2213

U

Unregistered

Thanks for the link. I think I'll try those suggestions and turn her around in my vehicle and see how it goes. I really did try to do the vent up, etc. We're in a smaller vehicle(08 Sentra)- but it's insane how hot she gets back there.

I already threw the box out, so assuming Target won't take back the Nautilus. Funny as a tech from a board I was on suggested this seat for her. Said that she wouldn't get much more use height wise from the BLVD as she would in the Nautlius. Annoying. Now I am a bit worried it's not as safe as I would like. Should have went with another Blvd. :(

MustangMama

Since you no longer RF, the Graco Nautilus is a perfect choice for your kiddo :thumbsup: It will last them until they are 65lbs in the harness and then can be used in booster mode.

The only downfall is that you might not be ready for booster mode by the time the seat expires. Then when you need it for booster use you might have to go buy a Graco Turbo Booster or something.

Maedze

Thanks for the link. I think I'll try those suggestions and turn her around in my vehicle and see how it goes. I really did try to do the vent up, etc. We're in a smaller vehicle(08 Sentra)- but it's insane how hot she gets back there.

I already threw the box out, so assuming Target won't take back the Nautilus. Funny as a tech from a board I was on suggested this seat for her. Said that she wouldn't get much more use height wise from the BLVD as she would in the Nautlius. Annoying. Now I am a bit worried it's not as safe as I would like. Should have went with another Blvd. :(

I think I might have missed something, but the Nautilus has at least 2" in harness growth more than the Boulevard. When you do return to forward facing, this seat will last you for a LONG time, much longer than the BV would. However, keep this in mind. The expiration for the harness and the high back booster is 6 years. That will all be expired when she's 7.5, and all that will be good is the backless.

Maedze

Since you no longer RF, the Graco Nautilus is a perfect choice for your kiddo :thumbsup: It will last them until they are 65lbs in the harness and then can be used in booster mode.

Actually, no, the Nauti is not the best forward facing choice for a baby :sorry!:

It's extremely upright and not very comfortable for a little person. If the mama does end up forward facing, the baby might do better in the Boulevard forward facing, in a Recaro Signo, the Evenflo Triumph Advance or the Graco MyRide. All of those seats have a natural forward facing recline, and the baby will be much more comfortable :thumbsup:

MustangMama

I must have missed the post before mine. I think since you are awaiting moderation your post popped up later in the night based on what time you posted. I am glad you are gonna try turning your baby around :thumbsup:

I still think the Nautilus is awesome for smaller kiddos for what it has to offer. I agree that the other seats Maedze mentioned are very good for a smaller FF child, but I guess I am looking at it from the perspective of getting your moneys worth while picking out the safest seat.

Good luck with trying to RF your kiddo again. I hope you can figure out a way t make it comfortable for both of you. :)

U

Unregistered

Thanks.

She seems pretty comfortable in the Nautilus. I actually purchased the Evenflo Triumph Advance and returned it. It was sooooo light to me(Guess I am used to the heavy, sturdy, Britax blvd)- Also, it only harnessed to 50 lbs, vs the 65 lbs that the Natulius did.

What I meant is that the carseat lady from another board I posted on said that the Nautilus would be a better option at this stage/age/height than another BLVD since my daughter is in the 95th percentile for height. Meaning I'd get more use out of that seat.

Thanks for all the suggestions. We apprecitate them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My mom has a Sentra and it DOES get hot back there. I've found that cracking the windows can be more effective than the air conditioning. :)

heyruthie

Thanks.

She seems pretty comfortable in the Nautilus. I actually purchased the Evenflo Triumph Advance and returned it. It was sooooo light to me(Guess I am used to the heavy, sturdy, Britax blvd)- Also, it only harnessed to 50 lbs, vs the 65 lbs that the Natulius did.

Wow! I hafta say (as an owner of Britax seats, an Evenflo Triumph Advance (EFTA), and numerous other "brand" seats) that I've NEVER heard the EFTA described before as "light!" :eek: LOL! That seat is a serious monster, and very, very, very sturdy! I wonder if you actually had a different seat--the original Evenflo "Triumph" perhaps??? It's a much smaller seat.....just amazed if the EFTA really seemed un-sturdy/light to you!

myliljunebugs

I get what she is saying :) While it doesn't seem unsturdy to me, the EFTA definitely is lighter than it looks like it will be. I was expecting it to feel like the Nauti and feels MUCH lighter. :D

Maedze

When you're used to a Boulevard, everything feels light. Except maybe a Radian.

On a personal note, I was moving seats around the other day. I accidentally dropped the Boulevard and like I usually do, stuck my foot out to catch it.

I forgot until the seat hit my foot that I was wearing crocs instead of sneakers :crying:

heyruthie

When you're used to a Boulevard, everything feels light. Except maybe a Radian.

On a personal note, I was moving seats around the other day. I accidentally dropped the Boulevard and like I usually do, stuck my foot out to catch it.

I forgot until the seat hit my foot that I was wearing crocs instead of sneakers :crying:

yeah, steel toes should be mandatory for carseat work :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC