Twisted Latch connector-pls help

es1967

I'm in the process of tunring my seat from RF to FF since my son is at the weight limit. As I was about to switch the latch connectors as you guys instructed I noticed one is twisted. I've tried to fix it w/o any luck. I searched and found one thread but it does not tell me how to fix it? I guess it must have been like this when I purchased it a few yrs ago. Here is the link to the other thread which shows my problem exactly. If its not fixable should I just do the lap belt FF install or install it w the twisted latch connector. Thanks

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=47375

ADS

Maedze

Ugh. That happened to my Wizard a few weeks ago and after spending almost two hours messing with it, I've concluded that human hands can't possibly fix it.

I would install with the seatbelt for the time being and then give Britax a call :thumbsup:

es1967

My husband the Architect just fixed it. I don't know how but he did -so it is possible. :eek: Do you know how to make sure the latch connectors are on the correct sides? By looking at it-visually? I switched them assuming they were in the correct RF way originally and so now I assume they are FF. How can I be sure before taking the car to the car and having to switch it there. The reason I am doubting myself is I watched the video link on how to switch it and after its done the way they are sitting is not the way mine look.
My other question is re the recline on the seat. It does not move much at all-slight difference. I know its more important that there is no recline when FF so I want to make sure its right.

Maedze

You gotta get him on here so he can tell me how he did it because I am losing my mind!

The LATCH connectors do come set for rearfacing so if you switched them they should be pointed in the right direction. Can you post a picture of what you have right now? It'll be pretty easy to tell if they're pointed the correct way.

es1967

I think the latch connectors are correct becuase I watched another video on how to install the seat FF and its loks like mine is right. The trouble we are having now is that the recline does not adjust at all to put it upright- any vidoes demonstrating this? Adjusting it does not make any difference in the recline.

I'll have my husband post how he fixed it.

Maedze

When you pull the recline bar on the base of the seat, can you push the seat into the mechanical 'upright' position and have it lock that way?

emars002

The easiest way to tell is the bigger part is on top, the skinny part on the bottom. Also, I believe there is writing on them and that should be on the inside of the latch connector, not facing the outside where you can see it

es1967

Well I got the seat installed and although I didn't think it was in the full upright position it sure looks it now. I ended up having to remove the headrest in the back passenger seat in order to fit the seat in. Does that sound normal? The tether was a challenge because it is behind the pass seat in the trunk. I had to pull the seat back forward and push the tether thru but it was hard cause the clip that adjusts the length of the tether was right behind the seat making it hard to lock the seat back in. I did manage to do it however the tether could have been a touch tighter. The seat feels very secure when I try to move it so I'm pretty confident its in correctly. My only doubt is if should have put it in the middle spot since it is safer. It would just be a challenge trying to get my son in and not much room to sit on either side. Thanks for your help. I think I still may get a pic to make sure its okay.

The latch connectors were correct w writing on the inside. :)

es1967

Here is how my DH fixed the twisted latch connector:

You’re going to create a new twist in the strap opposite to the twist you’ve got and they will cancel each other out.

1. Move the twist in the strap to the first part of the latch device. (There are two parts to the latch device, the one part that’s kind of like the outer part of a belt buckle and the other part which is the part that its much tougher to get through that holds the strap)
2. Figure out which way you would have to twist the strap to straighten it out (i.e. clockwise or counter clockwise) Experiment with the loose part of thestrap so you make sure you’ve got the twist direction right. Just imagine the latch isn’t there and you were twisting it to straighten it out.

3. On the other side of the strap that is already through the latch (the one that has a loop sewn on that doesn’t allow you to pull it through) you create a loop like the one that you’ve got on the other side but in the opposite direction as the twisted part. Force the new twist through the latch (the one with the sewn on portion attached) and the two will cancel each other out

Hard to put it to words…hope that helps.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC