Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Evenflo Triumph Advance LX Convertible Car Seat - Hanson

Hi,

I am looking to buy a two in one car seat for my husband's car, it will not be the primary seat for the baby (our first), as the baby will be in my car most of the time and I will be buying a infant seat for my car. I was looking at the Evenflo Triumph car seat for my husband's 2001 Honda Civic, does anyone have this car seat for such a small car? I have read mostly good reviews for this car seat so does anyone not recommend it? As this is our first baby, any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Evenflo Triumph Advance LX Convertible Car Seat - Hanson

Hiya! I own the Evenflo Triumph Advance(EFTA)as well as a small car. I have a 2 door Subaru Impreza & have this seat RF for my 2 1/2 year old in my car. It fits the best of all seats RF back there. However this is with a more upright angle as my son is older. I have never tried it with it at a 45 degree angle, but I am sure it would still fit.

While the EFTA does fit newborns well it might take up alot of room for an infant RF. Their are a couple of other options as well. You did say you would be using an infant seat for your car. Have you thought about just purchasing another base for the infant seat to install in your DH's car so that you can just pop the infant seat into? I LOVED my infant seat when my son was a newborn. It made it SO much easier when he was sleeping.
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!

Senior Community Member mommaon112903's Avatar

My sis did the exact same thing...Snugride in her car and ETA in hubby's car (2005ish VW Passat). The base for the Snugride's IMHO are not cheap, and this way they have a car seat for S in Daddy's car for a LONG time now

S was 7lbs4oz, 19" at birth and fit into her ETA wonderfully. Just remeber to use some rolled receiving blankets for head support.
    Crystal, SAHM to J age 8yrs11months/49.25"/55lbs/Blue Opal Recaro ProBoosterand Orange OSPKWY

Thank you very much for your replies, it's been a great help, I'm still a little torn though because if I buy a base for my husband's car, I will end up having to buy two new car seats when the baby outgrows the infant car seat or do the convertible car seats for over 30 lbs come with bases as well?

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shabnam_mahmud View Post
    Thank you very much for your replies, it's been a great help, I'm still a little torn though because if I buy a base for my husband's car, I will end up having to buy two new car seats when the baby outgrows the infant car seat or do the convertible car seats for over 30 lbs come with bases as well?
    No, the convertible car seats such as the EFTA do not come with bases.

The Triumph Advance fits most newborns well, and of the convertible carseats, takes up the least amount of room front to back of all that I have seen pictures of thus far even at a newborn recline. I would expect that it should fit fine in your civic though I would say you're going to need a rolled towel or a pool noodle pyramid to get a newborn recline just knowing that Honda seats usually are quite sloped.

Maybe you could make a trip to TRU (Toys R Us) and try it out in your car? I'd suggest bringing a rolled towel that's about 11" wide and 6 or 7" in diameter with you so that you can give it a real trial of how it should fit at a newborn recline. (Assuming that your seats are sloped. You may need to play with how the towel is rolled in order to get the right recline, but my guess is that's the size you're best starting out with.)
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Edited to be a bit more specific..

And just adding a note to point out, in case you are not aware, that you cannot use the UAS system in the center seating position of the 2001 Honda Civic since there are no dedicated anchors and the manual does not allow borrowing the outboard anchors. (You can only use UAS in the center if there is a dedicated set of anchors or if the manufacturer of both the vehicle and child restraint allows borrowing the inner anchors from the outboard sets.)

You may install in the center with the seatbelt, or in an outboard position with the UAS. (The center is generally recommended as a little safer BUT only if you can get a good, solid install, and sometimes this can be challenging on that center hump. If you can get the seat installed better outboard, then you will want to do that.)
    Last edited by mommycat; 05-25-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    Cat in Canada
    DS1 7 yo - 47 lbs (47"/??"t/??"top of head) - boostered in SKMonterey/2TBs/2CowmooPWSG/2HarmonyNBBs
    DS2 4 yo - 34.5 lbs (40"/15"t/??"top of head) - FF in CowmooMA/TrueFit/2Radians/2Nautiluses/HarmonyV7
    Also in possession of: Graco SafeSeat1 and MyRide (loaned out) + 1 demo seat: SnugRide.

Carseat Crazy

The EFTA installs real nice in most vehicles, It fits rfing in a 2dr cavalier, so It would probably work
    congrats on the upcoming baby, and good luck in your carseat decisions.

DS1 18/11/06 Radian and Nautilus, DS2 08/10/07 Evenflo Triumph Advance RFing