Question Quick question

Jennifer mom to my 7

Which would really be safer? my ds in an infant seat that he just barely fits in (22 pound keyfit, 20 pounds, 28? inches, and close to the 1 inch mark?) or to put the decathlon in for him for tomorrow? I somehow feel, that as he gets bigger, he may be safER in the convertible, rather than an almost maxed infant seat, especially since I don't take it out of the car. sigh.....

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Reasons it might be safer:

-you don't run the risk of unintentionally using it over the limits (not noticing sudden weight gain, etc.)
-It can sit more upright (once they are old enough to hold their heads up, a more upright angle is safer, at least that's what I've read; someone else can explain the science)
-It may be easier to get a proper fit every time

Other than that, it's just convenience. But sure, go ahead and move him. :)

Jennifer mom to my 7

Figured that's what would be said. sigh. This means either putting him in a pink seat (tiffany dc) or putting my freedom marathon cover on it. I need to figure out what seat he is going to get for the long term soon.

Pixels

The reason that more upright is sometimes called safer for heavier children (close to the limit of the seat) is because it reduces downward rotation, at least in theory. One of the tests that rear facing restraints must pass is a downward rotation test. We start out by installing the restraint between 30 and 45 degrees; during the course of the crash test, it is allowed to go no farther than 70 degrees. The idea behind the statement that it's safer to start out more upright makes the assumption that starting out more upright, the seat won't rotate downward as far. It may or may not, depending on your particular vehicle, carseat, and install. At one point, I had the RFing Radian installed more upright. It easily passed the one inch of movement at the belt path test, but when I gently moved the top of the restraint, the bottom of the carseat slipped on the vehicle seat and then it wasn't as tight as it was. In this particular case, I'd be willing to be that a more upright install would rotate as much or more as letting it install where it wanted. It might just be another of the Radian's quirks, but I think it illustrates my point that without testing, we don't know that installing more upright initially will result in less downward rotation.

You can install an infant seat more upright, just like a convertible. It may be more difficult to get a full 30 degrees, but it is permissable.

Since you don't take it out of the car anyway, there's no real good reason to keep him in the KF. It's time to start shopping (even if it's shopping from your garage) for his next seat. :) My DD is getting too close to the limits of her seat (3.5 pounds and several inches above her head) for my long-term comfort, so last week I ordered the convertible for that vehicle. I'm perfectly fine with her riding in the infant seat in the meantime, but it's time to get her next seat. That way I don't even have to worry about any sudden growth spurts.

Last edited:

Jennifer mom to my 7

Ugh, I am not sure I like the way he fits in the dc. I think I may have to play complete musical seats and put ds 2 in the dc and baby in the boulevard so he can have the padding. I did not want to play so much today, but guess I will, or just use the keyfit, but we might go on a longer trip tomorrow. decisions decisions. Thanks ladies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC