floatation for car seats while boating

G

GGIBS

hello everyone, i'm looking for some advice. My husband and I have a four-month old who we would like to take boating with us. i think using her carseat is the safest way to transport her onto, and then keep her contained and safe while on the boat. However, i don't feel this is 100% safe until I can find some sort of car seat floatation device. any advice?

i've heard the pool-noodles can be fitted to the car seat, and another group indicated that a company in texas makes floatation for car seats, but i haven't been able to find any details online.

thanks for any advice you can give me!

ADS

Momof4Girls

If I understand correctly, she would be safer out of the seat while on the boat, wearing a coast-guard approved life vest. There are life vests out there for infants that are designed to keep their heads up in the water (floating on their backs).

Perhaps someone with more experience boating with infants can share more...

Raechel

Joyofbirth

When my niece was a baby, my BIL contacted the Coast Guard and asked about this. He was told not to put her in anything on the boat, even like a bouncy seat. And to have her in a life vest for babies. They are in california.

Evolily

She needs to be in an approved life vest that fits her. Having her in a car seat would be unsafe. Car seats are for cars, not boats ;) .

Maggie

Being avid boaters I would NEVER suggest using anything but an approved life vest that properly fits.

Securing a child into anything while on the water is dangerous. The carseat will sink a lot faster than just the baby.

Pool Noodles are NOT life saving devices. They are essentially a pool toy. They are not for saving lives like approved life vests.

Evolily

Yep, you want one rated Type I PFD. We have 2 type III PFD's, and they are NOT designed for use on a boat- if I was going to take thing 1 and thing 2 onto a boat I'd have to go find a type III . It simply is not designed to keep the head up. These are only designed for visits to the pool or beach when used with kids.

Here's what the label attached to it reads under "Select the RIGHT PFD for your child!"

Type III PFDs
-Least bulky and most comfortable for continuous wear
-Type III PFD's are NOT designed to turn a child "face-up" in the water. They provide good support to children with some swimming skills.

Type II PFDs
-Typically more comfortable, but more bulky than type III PFD's
-Type II PFD's will turn only some children to a "face-up" position.

Type I PFDs
-Unless a hybrid*, more bulky and less comfortable than either type II or type III PFDs
-Type I PFDs have the greatest ability to turn a child "face-up".

*Hybrid devices may combine improved comfort with enhanced in-water performance

Basically, you want something that is most likely to turn the baby face up in water for use on a boat. When in the pool a type III or II might be more appropriate.

Maedze

Just to reiterate, do NOT use an infant seat or any restraining device on a boat. She should be in size-appropriate life vest with neck support from the second you step on the boat until the second you step off it.

4boysmom

Yeah I 46473th the life vest only. In boating your (very real) worry is drowning not crashing plus you'd have nothing to attach the car seat to so she'd just be in a very unsafe strapped in so you can't get her out quickly situation... Like others have said she'd sink like a rock if the seat fell in. A pool noodle can barely keep a child afloat for fun let alone relying on it for a life saving situation, it isn't going to do much of anything for a car seat add to that even if it did keep it afloat would it do so right side up or would it keep the seat floating upside down capsizing the baby :(

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I have heard of people using a Pack n Play DOWN BELOW in a boat, but I wouldn't use anything that strapped the child down.

sailingdaddy

I disagre with the blanket no-nos expressed by other posters. If used right, a car seat or bicycle seat is an added safety resource on an reasonably large boat. It's also used widely here and I have never ever heard of a serious accident.

The reason is this, more important than floating, is actually staying on board. That is why also adults are secured with harnesses and life slings.

It's very rare for a boat of reasonable size to suddenly sink or capsize. Granted, this is somewhat related to boat type and size, but an average sailing boat with a keel doesn't capsize at all and very rarely sinks.

Most injuries are from falling while moving on board or getting in the way of moving parts. Most drowning incidents are from falling overboard. Those risks are greatly reduced if an infant or toddler is secured.

For those that have any actual experience from over-board rescue training knows too well that it is very difficult to get even a fully cooperative adult back on board in all but the best weather conditions. Therefor, many sailors implement the "staying on board principle". Basically it means that securing yourself to the boat when weather conditions requires it is more important than wearing floatation devices.

We used an infant bucket last year and a Britax TWE this year, and it works great. DS can sleep without us worrying if he will fall or get hurt when we tack or get wake.

Remember though:

- He is either in the seat or in the life vest!
- Don't transport children on or off the boat in the seat!
- The seat must be securely attached to the boat!

We use the Helly Hansen KidSafe, which generally performs best in test for kids still in diapers.

http://www.flytvast.nu/helly-hansen-kidsafe.html
http://www.hellyhansen.com/product/Floatation/Kidsafe/33814/view/272

The USCG site was no help at all, they basically had no advice to give on small childen on boats. "The Coast Guard does not recommend taking infants onboard a recreational boat"... (!)

I do agree with their advice about testing the PFD in a swimming pool. We have done that and it works as intended. I also strongly recommend baby swimming classes which is a great way to make infants & toddlers more accustomed to water and reduce the risk of panic if they should fall in.

http://www.babysim.com/uk/aboutbabyswim.htm

Erik is rear-facing (of course... !) in a Britax TWE on our HR39.

BR /Marcus

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC