Question Help with a friend in an accident...

Joyofbirth

I need some help with my friend. She has 2 kids. She was in a 3-car pile-up last week. The kids were not with her. I told her she should replace her seats, but she doesn't think she needs to. I talked to her about it a bit tonight. I'm a bit of a fanatic and will always err on the side of caution. She said her insurance won't replace the seats. And so she doesn't want to put out the money. She said I'm a bit crazy and so she asked a bunch of "regular" people and nobody else seems to think she should replace them. She has a Graco Cargo and an Eddie Bauer(I believe an Alpha Omega). I had nightmares the other night about her kids because I just knew she's think I was overreacting. I explained to her that the seatbelts could have damaged the seats at the belt paths and is it really worth it to make her kids crash test dummies. She seemed a little uneasy, but still not convinced. I know they are tight on money right now. I told to go get some Sceneras for her kids, that they'd be better off. I even told her to call the maker of the carseat. Is there anything I could link her to that talks about this? Maybe something more official? I told her that I'm so serious about this that I would buy her kids new seats if I had any money. Any help is very appreciated.

ADS

rochelle

She said her insurance won't replace the seats. And so she doesn't want to put out the money. .

which state are you in. that would help us link you up with state information on replacement of car seats after an accident.

for example, california requires replacement of car seats after an accident by law.

how old and how heavy are her kids? my boys has already outgrew the cosco scenara at age 3. so the scenara may not be the best choice replacement

Pixels

I believe the only two states with laws about insurance having to replace seats after an accident are California and Illinois. That doesn't mean that ins. won't pay if you're not in one of those two states, just that there's no law saying they have to. Here is an article on insurance replacing seats after a crash.

Both Graco and Dorel (who makes the Eddie Bauer) state that a seat must be replaced after any crash, whether or not that crash is minor, whether or not the seats were occupied. That is written right in the owner's manuals for her seats. For the CarGo, it's on page 8. The instructions for the other seat aren't online, but that warning will be in there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC