2.5 yr old, 34 lbs and rearfacing in Marathon

es1967

Is my DS still okay rearfacing in his Britax Marathon? He is a little over 2.5 yrs old and weighs 34 lbs. I always get confused reading about this on other sites. Thanks for your help.

ADS

Blondie87

Is that 34 lbs with all his clothes and shoes on? I would turn him around now, unless you want to weigh him every morning before you walk out the door. He's just so close to the weight limit already, now's usually the time to flip him.

es1967

Yes, thats w clothes on at the Dr's office. He weighs around 32 lbs on our scale at home. Are you sure its time to turn him around? I was hoping to keep him rear facing as long as possible. :(

Blondie87

Unless you get a Graco MyRide65 it's time to turn him. The Marathon only rear faces to 35 lbs, so you can't do it past that. The MyRide rear faces to 40 lbs.

jess71903

Ambassador
All of this is also assuming that you have a Marathon that RF to 35lbs. That change was fairly recent. You could have a 33lb one in which case you need to turn it before you go out again.

Mama Jo

Is he close to outgrowing the MA RF by height also? (Does he have close to an inch left of shell above his head?)

If he has quite a bit of growing room height-wise, and you really want to keep him RF, I'd spring for a MR. If he's close to outgrowing by height too, then I'd just turn him.

Or you can weigh him every morning. And dress him in light weight clothes. It may take several months for him to gain that extra lb. Or he might gain it tomorrow. You just never know...

es1967

Wow, I thought I had alot of time to go before turning him around. Glad we went to the pedi's office and I happened to research this question again. I'm going to look for my manual asap. Now do I FF in the middle of the backseat or behind the passenger seat? Hmmmn. My DH will be happy. He has been pushing this for a while.

Blondie87

Wow, I thought I had alot of time to go before turning him around. Glad we went to the pedi's office and I happened to research this question again. I'm going to look for my manual asap. Now do I FF in the middle of the backseat or behind the passenger seat? Hmmmn. My DH will be happy. He has been pushing this for a while.

The middle is safest, but if outboard is much easier for you then that's okay too. Do you have top tethers in your car? It's strongly recommended that you tether your child's seat when it is forward facing. It reduces head excursion.

Mama Jo

The middle is obviously the safest seating location in the vehicle as long as it's convenient for you and you'll be able to buckle him in safely and properly every time.

But if you need to put him on the side for any reason (other passengers, easier to buckle, etc.) I wouldn't worry too much about it. Simply being in a 5 point harness offers an element of side impact protection above and beyond what being restrained in a seatbelt provides. :thumbsup:

es1967

The middle is safest, but if outboard is much easier for you then that's okay too. Do you have top tethers in your car? It's strongly recommended that you tether your child's seat when it is forward facing. It reduces head excursion.

Not sure about the top tethers. Are they on the top of the seats? I have a Volvo S40. I just checked my manual and it says 33lbs.:eek:
Thanks for all the help.

celtic1885

Not sure about the top tethers. Are they on the top of the seats? I have a Volvo S40. I just checked my manual and it says 33lbs.:eek:
Thanks for all the help.

What year is your Volvo? If you look in your car manual under "LATCH" or Child Safety Seats there should be diagrams of where they are located on your vehicle. The top tether will be indicated by a symbol looking like an anchor.......(clear as mud - sorry)

Also, if you give us the year of your car we can check the LATCH manual and let you know.

apsupermom

What year is your Volvo? We had a 99 and there were tether points that didn't yet have anchors installed. We bought the tether anchors from the dealer and installed them oursleves with the provided instructions...in 1999 it wasn't required by law but it was an option I guess...

all together ooky

Is that the model of Volvo that has the top tether anchors on the back of the seat so you have to fold the back seat down to get to it-like through the trunk? (yeah, that was clear as mud)

I saw one Volvo at the auto show this year and even DH said that the top tether anchors were badly placed (and he's never installed a carseat). I can't remember what model though-it was a small sedan.

es1967

Thanks for the video link. I would have never known to do this. I weighed my son and he is 31.8 lbs on our scale. I'm going to make the switch tonight or tomorrow since I really need to wash the cover too. Hope its ok. If I position the seat in the middle I have to use the seat belt right?

es1967

Is that the model of Volvo that has the top tether anchors on the back of the seat so you have to fold the back seat down to get to it-like through the trunk? (yeah, that was clear as mud)

I saw one Volvo at the auto show this year and even DH said that the top tether anchors were badly placed (and he's never installed a carseat). I can't remember what model though-it was a small sedan.

Yep, thats how it is. Not sure how thats going to work but we'll see.

Pixels

Yes, in a Volvo you must use the seatbelt for a center install. I would still switch the LATCH connectors, so that if you go on vacation or install the seat in a friend's car or something, they're already set up.

es1967

Well, I got the seat installed FF and DS loved it. I made sure to install it with no recline but it looks like he is sitting straight up? I don't know if its correct? Should it not have a little recline? Does not look very comfortable. Did have trouble w the tethers behind the seat because the buckle sits right where the seat closes to the trunk. The seat does seem solid like a rock.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC