Help... low tone SN kid...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Have you explored getting a special needs seat covered under your insurance? If you get an OT or PT to write him up for low tone you should be eligible for a seat with positioning aids that could harness him for much much longer.

In the mean time, would he still fit in a Recaro Como or Signo? What about a MyRide? Those are all very reclined seats. And from where he is on the slots on those seats, he would still fit in them for a while to come.

In fact, he could still be rear-facing by weight. If you got a taller seat (such as a True Fit or Radian), is it possible he could rear-face longer? Rear-facing is even better sometimes (depending on his specific low tone issues.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That's understandable, I have a kid with sensory issues whom we turned before the weight limit because she just hated going backwards. (Still does. Doesn't do roller coasters or anything that goes backwards, won't ride backwards in the wagon, etc.)

At 4, I won't push it, it was just a convenience suggestion, but if it's not convenient... definitely look for a more reclined FF seat.

I'd probably wait on the special needs seat if you have the funds for a regular one. Go for a Recaro or a MyRide, which have high weight limits and fairly tall slots, and then once you outgrow that it will be time to get evaled for the SN seat. There may even be better options on the market by then, perhaps. The Roosevelt might be an option at that point. But like I said, wait and see what you need when a regular restraint is outgrown.

heyruthie

the SN seats do have some more positioners to help. i've seen them, and there are several options, with more or less padding. i wouldn't hesitate for a SECOND to get him a SN seat, since he needs extra helps due to both behavioral AND physical (low-tone) needs. He really is solidly in the SN category, so i'd def. try to see if you can get some insurace coverage to help! :)

dd9736

That's understandable, I have a kid with sensory issues whom we turned before the weight limit because she just hated going backwards. (Still does. Doesn't do roller coasters or anything that goes backwards, won't ride backwards in the wagon, etc.)

At 4, I won't push it, it was just a convenience suggestion, but if it's not convenient... definitely look for a more reclined FF seat.

I'd probably wait on the special needs seat if you have the funds for a regular one. Go for a Recaro or a MyRide, which have high weight limits and fairly tall slots, and then once you outgrow that it will be time to get evaled for the SN seat. There may even be better options on the market by then, perhaps. The Roosevelt might be an option at that point. But like I said, wait and see what you need when a regular restraint is outgrown.

I agree, as all seats expire, especially if your insurance may decide to only cover one SN seat.

I've only had the Nautilis for 2 days, but you quickly get used to the chest clip, I was annoyed with it at first too.

Evolily

Wow- it looks like he has a nice, short torso!

I am thinking maybe a graco cozycline or recaro como might give you the recline you want until he gets a little bit older. Maybe even the new Graco My Ride 65. Then you could move him back to the regent (which I think you should keep, because it is being discontinued) in a couple years when he has more tone.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
I think the Frontier is a good fit for him.

The way it's sitting on the floor there it's in booster mode, which is very upright, but once you flip the recline forward to harness mode it's actually very reclined.

My ds was about 36 pounds when I took this picture of his sleeping in the Frontier, and it's even installed as upright as I could get it, it's naturally more reclined then this...
IMG00064.jpg

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree, as all seats expire, especially if your insurance may decide to only cover one SN seat.
That's exactly why I was suggesting holding off. :) I know many people whose insurance will only cover one and/or will only cover a SN seat when all other seats on the market are outgrown.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC