Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Help... low tone SN kid...

Thanks! We decided!
    Last edited by brown1442; 05-21-2009 at 10:29 PM.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Help... low tone SN kid...

Have you explored getting a special needs seat covered under your insurance? If you get an OT or PT to write him up for low tone you should be eligible for a seat with positioning aids that could harness him for much much longer.

In the mean time, would he still fit in a Recaro Como or Signo? What about a MyRide? Those are all very reclined seats. And from where he is on the slots on those seats, he would still fit in them for a while to come.

In fact, he could still be rear-facing by weight. If you got a taller seat (such as a True Fit or Radian), is it possible he could rear-face longer? Rear-facing is even better sometimes (depending on his specific low tone issues.)
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

deleted
    Last edited by brown1442; 05-21-2009 at 10:30 PM.

That's understandable, I have a kid with sensory issues whom we turned before the weight limit because she just hated going backwards. (Still does. Doesn't do roller coasters or anything that goes backwards, won't ride backwards in the wagon, etc.)

At 4, I won't push it, it was just a convenience suggestion, but if it's not convenient... definitely look for a more reclined FF seat.

I'd probably wait on the special needs seat if you have the funds for a regular one. Go for a Recaro or a MyRide, which have high weight limits and fairly tall slots, and then once you outgrow that it will be time to get evaled for the SN seat. There may even be better options on the market by then, perhaps. The Roosevelt might be an option at that point. But like I said, wait and see what you need when a regular restraint is outgrown.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

the SN seats do have some more positioners to help. i've seen them, and there are several options, with more or less padding. i wouldn't hesitate for a SECOND to get him a SN seat, since he needs extra helps due to both behavioral AND physical (low-tone) needs. He really is solidly in the SN category, so i'd def. try to see if you can get some insurace coverage to help!
    Ruth--Mommy to 4: Dominic, 10; Jacob, 8; Joy, 6, Gloria, 3.5. My babies are growing up!

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    That's understandable, I have a kid with sensory issues whom we turned before the weight limit because she just hated going backwards. (Still does. Doesn't do roller coasters or anything that goes backwards, won't ride backwards in the wagon, etc.)

At 4, I won't push it, it was just a convenience suggestion, but if it's not convenient... definitely look for a more reclined FF seat.

I'd probably wait on the special needs seat if you have the funds for a regular one. Go for a Recaro or a MyRide, which have high weight limits and fairly tall slots, and then once you outgrow that it will be time to get evaled for the SN seat. There may even be better options on the market by then, perhaps. The Roosevelt might be an option at that point. But like I said, wait and see what you need when a regular restraint is outgrown.

I agree, as all seats expire, especially if your insurance may decide to only cover one SN seat.

I've only had the Nautilis for 2 days, but you quickly get used to the chest clip, I was annoyed with it at first too.

DS1 18/11/06 Radian and Nautilus, DS2 08/10/07 Evenflo Triumph Advance RFing

Senior Community Member Evolily's Avatar

Wow- it looks like he has a nice, short torso!

I am thinking maybe a graco cozycline or recaro como might give you the recline you want until he gets a little bit older. Maybe even the new Graco My Ride 65. Then you could move him back to the regent (which I think you should keep, because it is being discontinued) in a couple years when he has more tone.
    Formerly known as CelticLabyrinth
    Big sister to
    A, 5/06 and C 11/04
    Riding in Safety 1st Incognitos

Senior Community Member

I think the Frontier is a good fit for him.

The way it's sitting on the floor there it's in booster mode, which is very upright, but once you flip the recline forward to harness mode it's actually very reclined.

My ds was about 36 pounds when I took this picture of his sleeping in the Frontier, and it's even installed as upright as I could get it, it's naturally more reclined then this...
    "If you don't know how to fix it, please stop breaking it." Severn Suzuki, age 12

Quote Originally Posted by dd9736 View Post
    I agree, as all seats expire, especially if your insurance may decide to only cover one SN seat.
    That's exactly why I was suggesting holding off. I know many people whose insurance will only cover one and/or will only cover a SN seat when all other seats on the market are outgrown.