When??

love-pink

At what age and weight did your child outgrow the ma ff?? And are kids big enough for hbb then?
Both my kids have at least 1 1/2 inches before they outgrow it by height. They are both 32lbs right now on just turned 3 and the other just turned 4. Any guesses as in how much longer well have with the ma?
Tia!!

ADS

emandbri

Jacob barely fit at 6, Daniel fit until 6 1/2, and Benjamin fit until 5 1/2. Jacob never used the marathon as a primary seat, Daniel used it until he was 5 1/2 and I needed it for Benjamin and then went to a booster but would use the MA when I had to carpool, and Benjamin is now in a radian but does use a booster in dh's car.

When I first got the marathon Daniel was 3 1/2 and right above the second to top slots, I never would have believed he would fit in it for the next 3 years!

here are some pictures of Jacob and Daniel in it when I got my first marathon in fall of 2002.

http://www.angelfire.com/hi2/emandbri/MA.html

Oh and I should add that Elizabeth has much more room above her head than Daniel did at 3 1/2 and more than Benjamin did at her age. I suspect she will fit in the marathon longer than they did.

Last edited:

NannyMom

J never used the Marathon, but I have tried him in it. He was just turned 6, and was just even with or a tad over the top slots. He was about 50 pounds. And we had just switched him from GH harnessed to booster in my car.

valleyfam

DS outgrew the Boulevard at 5 1/2 approx. 50lb. 45 in. The Boulevard just in case you are not familiar with it is basically the marathon with head wings. Supposedly the harness height is about 1/2 in lower on the BV than the MA. Don't hold me to that as I don't own both but I've read it a lot. Hope that helps some.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mine outgrew it at 6 and 40 pounds :). If yours have just moved to the top slot (???) it will be 18mos-2 years before it's outgrown, generally (less time in a very reclined auto seat, maybe longer in a more upright seat... if the seat is upright the kid shrinks down a bit more and fits longer...strange but true, lol). Anyway, 5 or 6 is fine for most kids in a good highback booster :)

love-pink

They are both well under the second to top slot and my sets are reclined. We have a new cover coming today so I'm going to take pics and put the seat at less of a recline and ill post to see what you think :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Sounds like your kids certainly may get to booster age in the Ma...a good number of kids do. It's hard to ask "when did your kid ourgrow..??" questions because so much goes into it...my dd is 4.5 years old and almost dead even with the top slots..i would say she woin't make it past, possibly not even to her 5th birthday in the ma. But then again, there are a lot of 5 year olds, some 6 year olds, and even the occasional 7 year old which fit fine in the Ma....with them not even being on the top slots yet, i would guess 2 years or more..., which would get both of them to a good booster age...althoigh it seems like the younger one is certainly bigger and grows faster, so it just all depends on what happens...it isn't unheard of for a younger, but bigger-built child to outgrow seats before older, petite siblings. But in sounds like you have a ton of time left!!

love-pink

Yeah everyone thinks their twins! Every since ds (the youngest) was about 7 months old. I just say no the big one is just little and the little one is just big lol. Next year they'll be in the same class so I can only imagine how many times I'm going to be asked ;)

Ali

DD also has a crazy long torso. She was super close to outgrowing in January at 4 years, 37lbs and 40 inches, so we permanently switched to Frontier and Nautilus and passed the MAs down to a friend.

scatterbunny

My dd (95th+ percentile for height) was too tall for a Marathon around 4.5-4y9mo, 46-47 inches, 45-47 pounds. When we considering buying one when she was 2.5, 38 inches and 35 pounds, she was almost dead-even with the second-to-top slots, so her next growth spurt would have meant moving her up to the top slots (so I think Julie's estimate of 18 months-2 years once the top slots are needed is pretty accurate).

myliljunebugs

My son (freakishly long torso) outgrew his MA at 4.5 years and 43 lbs. That is when he moved to the Regent. He has outgrown the Regent, but now is growing legs. DD is almost 4 and would have about the same amt of space to grow as your kids do. Maybe closer to 2 inches (don't have an MA anymore, replaced in an accident). I would expect her to last til 6 or so in it.

jujumum

At what age and weight did your child outgrow the ma ff?? And are kids big enough for hbb then?
Both my kids have at least 1 1/2 inches before they outgrow it by height. They are both 32lbs right now on just turned 3 and the other just turned 4. Any guesses as in how much longer well have with the ma?
Tia!!

How are you measuring? From the top of their head or the harness height? From the head, forward facing the MA is measured differently from rear facing. My dd is 41" tall and has at least 2" above her head ff in the MA. She could still rf in it for another 1" if she didn't exceed it's weight. She won't outgrow me MA ff untill the tops of her ears are at top of the shell, which won't be for at least a couple of years.

Last edited:

NVMBR02

Dd was 5 and a few months and 33 pounds. She is tall and very skinny though.

Ds is on the top slot at 3 1/2 and 37 pounds. He has another 1 1/2 though so i think it will last 18 months if not more.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
My kids have freakishly long torsoes, but ds1 was around 4, 42", and 40 lbs.

This description matches my DD1, who outgrew the Marathon by height with very similar stats around age 4.5, and we ended up with Regents for her.

Jennifer mom to my 7

This description matches my DD1, who outgrew the Marathon by height with very similar stats around age 4.5, and we ended up with Regents for her.

Mine, too. Liliana was 3.5, 42 inches, 42 pounds or so, and measured about a 16.5 inch torso. Raffaella made it to about 39 months in her decathlon, 40-41 inches, ~40 pounds, think her torso measures about 17+.

love-pink

well we got back from town and our new cover was here, yay!!!! here are some pictures i took and i think i like the more reclined install better. to me it looks like she has the same amount of room left.
this set is of the seat reclined:

Last edited:

love-pink

and here is a few of the seat with a more upright install. the last one is a little hard to see but it shows the over all seat incline and one of tays baby lol:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC