Help get the new TX booster seat law passed... Email I recieved with info....

mykidsmylife

Dear Texas CPS Technician,

We need you to take action today to help get a life saving booster seat law enacted in our state. Senate Bill 61, by Sen. Judith Zaffirini and House sponsor, Rep. Allen Vaught, which seeks to increase the age by which a child must be restrained in a booster seat has passed the Senate and the House and has been delivered to the Governor’s Office. A message from you could make an important difference in whether Governor Rick Perry chooses to sign the law.

Why is a booster seat law important?

Car crashes are the leading cause of death and injury to booster seat age children. In car crashes, 4-7 year old children secured by adult seat belts are likely to suffer serious head, spinal cord, and internal organ injuries. Booster seats reduce the risk of these injuries by 59 percent.

This bill corrects a serious flaw in current state law which now requires a small child to be buckled up in an adult seat belt that does not provide proper protection in a car crash. Texas law does NOT require booster seats, leaving thousands of children at risk for injury and death in car crashes. An average 3-year old will outgrow the current law before their 4th birthday. One booster seat saves:
$494 in personal injury costs
$245 in public medical spending
$433 in work losses
[Source: Pediatrics. 2006; 118.]

Safety experts suggest children should be required to sit in a booster seat until they fit safely into an adult seat belt. Proper seat belt fit usually occurs at the height of 4 feet, 9 inches.

Please call and write the Governor today – you can find out how to contact him below. Tell him that booster seats protect children and Texas has one of the weakest laws in the country. Ask him to sign SB 61, by Sen. Judith Zaffirini and House sponsor, Rep. Allen Vaught, which requires children be restrained in a booster seat until they are 8 years of age unless they are 4 foot nine inches tall. This standard has been recommended by safety experts, including the Texas Department of Public Safety in a 2006 report, and is essential to saving lives and money in the state of Texas .

Details for Contacting Governor Rick Perry

Phone Number: 512/463-2000 Mailing Address: Office of the Governor

Attn: Legislative Office

P.O. Box 12428

Austin , TX 78711

For additional talking points and a list of supporters visit: www.boosttexas.org

ADS

Joyofbirth

Will definitely call in the morning. My parents told me today that they heard there is a new law and it takes effect on June 1. I'm not sure where they heard this, but I'm not telling them anything different. They've put my small 6-year-old niece in just the seatbelt. They said they guess they can't do that anymore. I've tried to tell them not to. (They follow my rules with my kids and my step-dad can even get a rock-solid install because I'm crazy about this stuff, but I don't think they really believe in it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC