my husband is getting it now!

scuby20

So I e mailed my husband the videos of several crashes of RF vs FF, and he is totally getting on board with it!! He gets it now. He never really questioned me, other than "why don't we just turn her FF now that she is 2"...instead of getting a TF to last a while longer (due to height)...but now that he saw those crash videos and the one with the little boy in the halo afterwards (because it was a true story about a real kid, with a real father telling it)...he gets it.
So he is learning about it with me. We are expecting baby #2 any day now...and I told him if anything were to ever happen to me, that I want/need him to let my mom help with any carseat buying decisions and RF and FF decisions, becasue she knows about this site and such. He agreed he would if anything ever happened to me!

So that being said, I had an appt yesterday...Hubs stayed in the car with DD because it wouldn't be that long....out of the door (I saw them while I was waiting) comes a mom with 5 kids. One being about 6 months old I would guess....well I get a call on my cell while I'm in the waiting room, and he says the woman hasn't left, but all the kids are getting in the car, only 1 has a booster (the oldest which looks to be 9 years old, all other kids are younger)...the baby in the infant carrier she was carrying, was placed FF on the back seat, no base to the infant seat and she just let it sit there...never buckled it or anything...meanwhile the probably 2 year old and 4-5 year old and abut a 6 year old and about a 8-9 year old are all in the car, no car seats...other than that booster. He was peeved! He called me and asked what he should do..I said call 911. (I also used to work for 911 in another state).
He gave them her info and plate number, but didn't know where she was going as he was in the pking lot. They asked if he was following her, he wasn't.
I told him next time, leave me, I'll figure out whats going on (since he called to ask me what to do) and follow her (carefully as to not let her know so she doesn't get stressed out and it effect her driving)

All day he kept saying "I should have followed her, those poor kids"

I was so proud of him for really caring and getting it. He has always known kids need car seats, but it's like so much more...he was like "that 2 or 3
year old was little...and should be RF"

ADS

ctbcleveland

Aww....what a great story....sounds like your DD and baby #2 are lucky to have a great mom, dad and grandma.

By the way, Joel's story is written by his grandpa (the little boy in the Halo). So, you will occasionally see people on this site say things like "grandpa would be mad...it is in reference to him).

I am very appreciative of Grandpa's story and recently sent the link to my dad - who had the nerve to suggest that DS probably weighs enough to FF.

scuby20

oh that is right, it's his grandpa....that one seemed to hit home I think with my hubby, because it was "real"...not a crash test dummy...granted, he sees the crash test footage and does beleive it, but the story of Joel makes is real...if that makes sense! Hey whatever works...I'm happy. He never gave me much of an issue, and certainly wouldn't ever NOT use a car seat...but that video helped with the ERF thing.....he even told me the other day someone put their kid in a car FF that was clearly to little.

aaminnky

Senior Community Member
Great, glad to hear hubby really understands. I'm still working on mine. He doesn't argue with me about car seats, but he hasn't pointed out any misuse/non-use yet either.
Check with your state transportation dept, they may have a hotline to report unrestrained children. I just found out about the program in my state. You can call anonymously, report the license plate # and they will send out child safety information to the owner of the vehicle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC