Flying with carseats

Lucy_R

My two daughters and I will be flying from Regina to Calgary in July. I will not be getting my 14 month old her own seat, but my almost 4 year old will have one. I've decided not to bring her carseat onboard, it is just going to be way too difficult juggling everything on my own with the two of them. I'm looking into the CARES harness, hopefully I can find one that isn't brand new due to cost. At any rate, I'm quite nervous about checking our carseats with baggage. Are they careful with them, or do they just chuck them around? Is there anything that I can do to lessen the chance that they will get damaged?

ADS

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Yes, they just chuck them around. Yes, there is potential they will be damaged. You should ensure they are in a car seat bag or a box and well protected. Most people suggest gate checking it.

As for the CARES harness, do a search and we have a thread about CARES harnesses for Canadian members. There are a few that have been purchased that we pay shipping cost and a small contribution to use it.

Really though, if you're going to go to bring your 4 year olds seat, and gate check it, you've made it almost the entire way onto the plane with the seat. Since she has a paid seat, I'd just use it. She'll be more comfortable in a known place and your seat will make it there safely. With WestJet at least, people with children can board first which will give you time to install the seat.

Lucy_R

If I weren't traveling alone, I would absolutely gate check both carseats, but with two kids, carry on and a stroller, I'll have my hands completely full. There's just no way I'll be able to drag two heavy carseats all the way through the airport. Is there any particular bag that would work well? I really want to pad them as much as I can. What is something that would be quick to pad with once we got to the airport?

mommycat

What car seats do you have?

I would still consider bringing the seats and either gate checking both or one and using the other. Depending on the seats you have they may be pretty simple to cart around... say by attaching one to rolling carry-on luggage or on a luggage cart with the carry-on loaded in on top of it.

Here are some threads with tips on flying, most with pictures, to show you what I am talking about:
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=772261&postcount=20

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I was meaning to bring the 4 year olds on board. You can gate check the other since you don't have a plane seat for that child. If you're not able to haul both to the gate since you're alone, checking the one with baggage might be your only option. I'd still take the 4 year old's seat on board. At least that way you guarantee one seat makes it there safely.

skaterbabs

How much does your younger child weigh? I'd see if a TRUSTED friend or family member as a Graco Safe Seat (30 lb limit) you can borrow for the trip. Take it on board with you; if there is an empty seat on the flight they will let you use it for your younger child. This is significantly safer for her.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Take it on board with you; if there is an empty seat on the flight they will let you use it for your younger child.
I'd think this would depend on the airline. I know Air Canada can be pretty sticky when it comes to rules here. I agree though that a SafeSeat could be a great help.

Which leads me to ask, are you flying Air Canada or WestJet? If you check a car seat with Air Canada, it counts towards your checked baggage allowance. I believe WestJet allows you to check a seat in addition to the checked baggage allowance.

Either Air Canada or WestJet (not sure which) offers something called "infant standby" which will allow you to get a seat for your infant when you check in, if one is available. I *think* this is no charge to you and it then guarantees you use of your child restraint on board; you get a boarding pass for the child. This would only be for your younger one (since your older one already has a seat). There are some restrictions, for example it has to be a straight through flight, which Regina to Calgary is. Maybe someone here remembers which airline offers this and what you need to do to take advantage of it.

mommycat

WestJet:
Travelling with an infant (I highlighted the red section)

* One child under the age of two years may travel at no additional charge provided they are accompanied by one fare paying adult guest and are seated on the adult's lap for the duration of the flight.
* Safety: The adult must hold the infant during taxi, takeoff, landing, any time the seatbelt sign is illuminated and when instructed to do so by the flight crew.
* Car seats: A seat may be purchased for the infant. If the infant is not restrained in a seat certified for motor vehicle or aircraft use, the adult must hold the infant during taxi, takeoff, landing, any time the seatbelt sign is illuminated and when instructed to do so by the flight crew. Please call WestJet at 1-888-WESTJET (937-8538) for more information on Transport Canada approved car seats.
* August 25, 2008, the AmSafe Child Restraint System (CARES), a harness and buckle device that attaches directly to the aircraft seat will be permitted for use on board WestJet aircraft as an alternative to a car seat. Please call WestJet at 1-888-WESTJET (937-8538) for more information on this Transport Canada approved restraint system.
* Identification: All parties require identification at the airport. Please bring identification for your infant, as it will be checked. For domestic travel, it can be in the form of a birth certificate or birth registry. Photocopies are acceptable. For international travel, your infant must meet entrance requirements at customs.
* Extra baggage allowance: Guests travelling with infants may check in a car seat and stroller at no additional charge. A playpen may be substituted for either a car seat or stroller.
* Seat Selection: When travelling with an infant, seat selection will not be available for online purchase. Please contact the call centre at 1-888-937-8538 to purchase your seats in advance.

mommycat

Air Canada: (bold theirs)
Infants - with or without a seat travelling in Economy
Checked Baggage
* Two pieces of checked baggage, each bag not to exceed 158cm (62in) in overall dimensions, and 23kg (50 lbs) in weight.
* One stroller to be checked in at the gate (in addition to the two pieces of checked baggage).
Carry-on Baggage
One piece of baggage, 10 kg (22lbs) maximum weight.

Stroller Policy
Children may be transported in their strollers throughout any airport Air Canada serves.

Air Canada strongly recommends the use of small umbrella type strollers when traveling with children.

Collapsible strollers may be checked at the gate and will be delivered to you at the aircraft door at the end of your flight.

Large, heavy strollers should be checked-in as part of your checked luggage, as gate facilities in airports are not designed to accommodate them. Large strollers are subject to space limitations, and there is a risk that they cannot be accommodated in the aircraft.

and, not doing their bolding for this as I am tired of editing, but I will bold a few things I would point out :eek:
Child Restraint Policy

Child safety seats accepted for in-flight use

* Air Canada is bound by Transport Canada regulations with regards to acceptable Child Restraint Devices (with the exception of the CARES™ child restraint device). All devices (except CARES™) must be certified to Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (CMVSS) 213 or 213.1. Please note that, for safety reasons, child restraint devices are not permitted in the Executive First Suites at any time.

Accepted child restraint devices:

* Models manufactured after January 1, 1981 must bear a label stating that "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.", or that the seat has been certified to CMVSS 213 or 213.1; (Important: All foreign-built car seats must adhere to Transport Canada regulations).
* Models manufactured to United States standards
o between January 1, 1981 and February 25, 1985 must bear the following label: "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards."
o on or after February 26, 1985 must bear the following two labels: “This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards" and “THIS RESTRAINT IS CERTIFIED FOR USE IN MOTOR VEHICLES AND AIRCRAFT" in red lettering.
* CARES™ child restraint device: The CARES child restraint device is designed for children over 1 year of age, weighing between 10-20 kg (22-44 lbs), whose height is 100 cm (40 inches) or less and who are capable of sitting upright. The device must be used within the limitations specified by the manufacturer (as indicated on the label), and must display the following:
o Legible CARES label with approval standards (FAA approved in accordance with 14 CFR 21:305 (d) and approved for aircraft use only).
o Part number 4082-1 on label
o Please note that CARES™ child restraint devices cannot be installed in the Executive First Suite.

Restrictions for infants and children occupying a seat

* An infant for whom a seat has been purchased must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device (see regulations above).
* A child over two years of age but weighing less than 18kg (40lbs) can be secured in a child restraint device. [ETA would they quiblle over a heavier child being in a carseat if the seat still fit them with the harness??]
* Child restraint devices (car seats, booster seats*) count toward your baggage allowance when transported as checked baggage, unless an approved device is required onboard for seating the infant or child in his or her own paid seat.
* The following devices are not accepted for use as child restraint devices on Air Canada aircraft: booster seats*, belly loops, vests, harnesses, and Little Cargo® seats (notwithstanding any claims from manufacturer(s) that they are approved for use in aircraft).
* A restraint device that cannot be restrained due to size, design, or damage must be checked in, as it cannot be stowed under the seats or in the overhead bins.
* Passengers are asked to write their name and address on all devices with the use of an indelible (Sharpie-type) marker.
* Please contact your travel agent or Air Canada Reservations for more information and possible exceptions to these rules (e.g. medical reasons).

*A booster seat (or cushion) is defined as a removable device for use in a vehicle for the purpose of seating in an elevated position a person whose mass is 18 kg or more. It is designed to be used with an automobile lap and shoulder belt and is therefore not approved for use in an aircraft.

Lucy_R

Thank you for all the replies. We are flying with Westjet, so checking the carseats as baggage wouldn't count towards our 2 pieces each. They allow a child with their own seat to have a carseat on top of the regular luggage as well. We will be flying with a Marathon, which is my older dd's and a True Fit for my younger. If I were to bring one on board, it would be the TrueFit, because we will be replacing our Marathon with a Frontier soon anyways so I don't care as much about that seat, versus the True Fit which will be brand new. Even so, I'm having a hard time imagining a non-stressful way to bring it with us through the airport. I will have my stoller, whatever carry-on(bare minimum) in the stroller basket and on my back, my baby in the stroller, and my dd walking beside. Unless I pull the carseat on something with one hand, and push the stroller with the other, I can't see how it can be done. And in that case I will have a really tough time steering the stroller and having an extra hand for my dd if I need it. I suppose I could buy something to put it on my back, but I'll most definately have a backpack on. I'm not sure if there's any other easier way it can be done?

As for borrowing a SafeSeat for my younger dd, I absolutely don't know anyone who has one, although that definately would be a decent option.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
So what about this...your baby in a carrier (an Ergo, Beco, Mei Tei or some other soft carries that you can fold up small) on your back, older child in the stroller, backpack in stroller basket, pull carry on behind you and use the Traveling Toddler car seat strap to attach a car seat. Here's a link to it on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS

You don't have to put your child in the car seat, but apparently it's possible according to the pics! I am looking to get one for my trip in a couple of weeks and am going to use it just to carry a True Fit (child will be in stroller).

I don't have any suggestions for carrying 2nd car seat, so checking it might be the only option. Unless do they have carts you can use that they allow through security? If so, you could put everything on a cart (including both car seats, carry ons and stroller), baby on back and older one holding your hand? Not sure if that would work, or if they even have carts after you've gone through security.

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I've had great success with a cheapy luggage cart from Walmart. I've clipped the LATCH clips of a Nautilus directly onto the frame of the cart, then flipped the Marathon upside down on top of that, used the bungie that came with the cart to secure it on, and pulled that while I had the little one in a wrap/sling and the 3 yo walked. I slid the straps of the diaper bag around the handle of the luggage cart. I've done that several times and I'm getting ready to do it again soon, 8 months pregnant ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I found another option for carrying a car seat on your back http://www.amazon.com/Cheeky-Monkey-Designs-9277-Back/dp/B000GIBYQ0/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

and here's a car seat bag http://www.amazon.com/Childress-Ultimate-Car-Seat-Travel/dp/B0009RNXNA/ref=pd_sbs_ba_2
and one more car seat bag http://www.amazon.com/Go-Go-Babyz-Seat-Protector-Black/dp/B000UC8L68/ref=pd_sim_ba_4

Although An Aurora's method sounds really great because it allows you to take BOTH seats! (and if it's WestJet that has the infant stand by, then your younger one could use the seat on board).

Lucy_R

An Aurora, that is really ingenious, I never even thought about doing it that way. And I wouldn't need the stroller that way. But I'm just thinking, if I were to do that, and we weren't able to use both seats, would they still allow me to gate check the one?

mommycat

As for the travelling toddler and rolling carry-on: I tried this out - well, I juste used a metal hanger to clip latch straps to, to see how it would work - and the 24lb 18mo fits in the TF hooked on to carry on beatifully. My 35lb 4yo fits the seat but is just too heavy for it to actually work. I would worry about the handle on the carry on as it was really flexing and creaking. So you could either carry the baby and pull the two seats, or put a seat on your back and "stroller" the baby in the TF.

But I like An Aurora's idea even better, I think. You could probably bungee the carry on into the bottom seat before you stacked the 2nd one on top, too?

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Here is a picture of the 2 seats puzzled together on a foldable luggage cart

101_0158_Text_cropped.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC