little vent about my carseat indecision

NannyMom

So I had the Marathon. I hated it when I first bought it. Grew to love it. I really like the MA, except for the lack of legroom :( We could deal with no legroom. But I saw her in grandpa's BV and she look so squashed :eek: Maybe it was just the vehicle?

So I tried out BabyS' Radian 80 for awhile. I liked how she fit. But it installs looser than I'm used to :( (though less than 1 inch). And, It's really hard to get it to install not over reclined. And with Sofi being older, I'd really like it less than 45*.

So I bought a TF because I could get it much tighter than the RN. I really like how she fits in it. I like the legroom. And the harness adjuster isn't too much of a pain. But everytime we flip the outboard seat, it rubs the side of the TF. Not a huge deal, but I imagine eventually there will be a hole in the cover :( Moving her outboard is not an option.

I think I miss my MA :( Or maybe I'll just use the TF and leave the seatback down (seat next to it).
I have a MyRide. Because....how could I not :whistle: Again, too wide. The cupholder bends when the seat is flipped :rolleyes:

So my plan was to use the TF for BabyS, and DF's DD could use it whenever I have her (rare). And get an XT for Sofi. But right now I have the RN80 for Sofi again. And I hate the feeling that it's over reclined (though I think it is right at 45*). Emandbri says the old RN boot get a more solid install. Do I really want the "old" seat? It would have a harness that can't be replaced too. Not sure I want that.

ADS

fyrfightermomma

In my experience I had the old RN's and the new RN's in both our cars. I couldn't install the old one in my DH's Taurus at all with a belt RFing, but the new one I could. In my minivan the older RN's were much looser than the new ones. So personally, I found the newer ones install much more solidly. Strange how different cars can be so different!

NannyMom

Was that with LATCH or seatbelt? Emandbri had mentioned with the seatbelt in the Sienna it was a no go. Or....it was just way worse. Glad I have so many LATCH anchors, lol.

I played more with the RN. If I install it more upright, and pull the vehicle seatback bolt upright, it's pretty tight. Tight enough for me to be happy. But.... 1-it's supposed to be at 5 clicks, which is a little more reclined and 2-the more I pull the looser it gets :whistle: I finally gave up. We're trying out the MR now :D I'm going to just leave the outboard seat folded down and the kids can climb over it.

I think BabyS will end up with the Titan. And Sofi with the MR or TF. Probobly TF because of the legroom.

AtTheSouthDam

I'm right there with you. I had a MA, liked it but never really loved it. And everyone had one. I don't like having what everyone else has. So I got a Como. Nice seat, sits up high, though and doesn't have enough leg room. It did RF 2# longer than the MA. Got the XT. I like it a lot. DD2 loves it. But I didslike how reclined it is. Or that my options are having the girls right next to each other and very noisy while I am forward slightly more than comfortable or seperate them and bump my shoulder on the top of the seat constantly.
I am afraid I will be disappointed with the TF. There isn't enough head room in the MR to justify the purchase. She wouldn't make to 40#, maybe 35#. The MT is up on an unrealistically high pedestal as being the perfect seat. I really want to keep DD2 RF since she is so light and has big head but part of me wants to give up and FF her :(

NannyMom

I really do like the TF. But my seatbacks recline a bit (they're actually supposed to be that way for carseats), so I don't have problems with getting to the adjuster. I was affraid I wouldn't like it. But I do. If I decide I don't like the MR for Sofi, I'll go back to the TF and leave the outboard seat folded.

NannyMom

So I called SKJP today. TO ask if the old base could be used on a new seat. Or if I could buy an XT with the old base. I was already 99.9% sure the answer would be no....but I had to try. The CSR suggested she transfer me to Russ. :eek: I jsut about LOL at her :eek: I've never had the pleasure of talking or emailing with him, but I know many here have. And...well....I pictured him cuddling up to his RN at night (like someone else mentioned....sort of) :whistle:

Russ couldn't believe the problems I'm having! :rolleyes: He has friends with Siennas. WHile he doesn't know what year, they can't be that different. And what...I'm having problems with it while using LATCH?! That should be so easy. All the feedback they are getting is the new base makes instalations easier. And the new base makes it easier to get a more upright instalation. I mentioned I was talking online with another Mom/CPST (emandbri, you are, aren't you?) and she had a better instalation in her Sienna with the old base. :eek: He's never heard of that! :rolleyes:

So, I told him I'll be trying a seat with the old base this weekend. He asked me to call him and let him know how it goes (and gave me his extension...which could be 1 of 2 because I had a kid asking to go to the bathroom at the end of the conversation and quickly forgot what he'd said).

He was just speachless. And he told me several times he was so, lol.

NannyMom

Did you happen to ask if there was any plan to up the RF limit? :whistle:

lol, not yet. I think when I call him Monday I'll ask. But I expect to get the same 'check with me in a few months' that everyone else has gotten. I can't suggest I'll but a new seat if it RF to 40 pounds.... because I can't buy a new seat :mad: darn RN base! :mad:

christineka

I have a sienna and a radian with the new base. I think the seat is easy to instal with a seatbelt. I have it in a 3 across in the back, so I can't do latch. It fits great. I tested the radian out in my van with an older radian with the old base. It was a bit trickier, but still worked. (Or maybe I just learned all the tricks before I got my new seat.)

Please ask Russ in person about the rfing limit. I like to hear what he says.

NannyMom

I have a sienna and a radian with the new base. I think the seat is easy to instal with a seatbelt. I have it in a 3 across in the back, so I can't do latch. It fits great. I tested the radian out in my van with an older radian with the old base. It was a bit trickier, but still worked. (Or maybe I just learned all the tricks before I got my new seat.)

Please ask Russ in person about the rfing limit. I like to hear what he says.

Maybe it's just the center seat, 2nd row? I *think* I remember getting a good install outboard when we first got the seat. But now I wonder if it was over reclined a bit. And I know a less reclined install left it loose. I'll have to play with it outboard.

But still, if it won't install center 2nd row, it does me no good.

I will ask Russ. He sounded very nice. Except that everytime he was speachless (when I told him what issues I had with his beloved seat).... I pictured him cozying up to a RN at night. WHO was it that said he probobly sleeps with one?! Look what you've done to me! :p

I like the My Ride well enough for now. We're keeping the outboard seat folded. I can actually sit on it like that to buckle Sofi. And the MR is nice and high so I'm at just the right height to do it comfortably :) btw- the folded seatback comes right below the cupholders.

NannyMom

Have you ever tried the RN RF in the center seat? I did and it wasn't pretty :whistle:

The old boot gave you 2 options....1- Have the base under the LATCH anchors, but the edge of the carseat (knees) 2 inches away from the vehicle seatback or 2- Install it crooked :rolleyes:

The new boot gives you 2 options too. 1- Have the toes of the boot in the seatbight and the carseat over reclined (but pretty tight) or 2- have the toes of the RN at the crease in that little hump (LATCH anchor cover) to be better reclined, buy waaaaayyy loose :rolleyes:

Though I did like the install with the old boot outboard. But I still feel kind of vindicated because Russ was wrong :whistle: The old boot did install better, at least outoard.

So now I have to decide if I want to use the TF or the MR. Or buy another MA/BV :whistle: I guess for now it's the MR. But I really want to buy another MA/BV. It installs so nicely and is narrow enough to fit and still be able to flip the seat.

NannyMom

So.... I really like the cup holders on the MR. Except that they make it too wide, lol.

So, do I.....

keep the MR and leave the seat folded down all the time (I flipped it back up for the weekend, but it rocks the MR when it hits it :mad:). It installs 'tight enough' and has nice cup holders for Sofi's stuff. It won't fit next to the TF for BabyS but I can use the Titan when she moves to a convertible. And just install another seat for DF's DD if/when I ever have her (instead of she and BabyS sharing the TF).

Use the TF for Sofi. Sure, the flipped seat rubs the side, but it doesn't move the TF. Use the Titan for BabyS when she's ready.

Put the MR in Grandma's car (least used car) because there's a nice easy lapbelt install. But it's already tight for anyone to sit next to the MA (only skinny great grandma sits there occasionally). Put the MA in my van because it's narrow enough to flip the seat, and it installs so easy and tight. BabyS can use the TF and share w/ DF's DD if/when I ever have her.

Put the MR in Grandpa's CRV. Sofi is in there every weekend. Cupholders might be nice there. But the BV is a PITA to put in there with the lockoffs, and I imagine the MR will be worse with a lockingclip. But the BV in my car (same reasons as the MA would work). Use TF for BabyS.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Does your vehicle allow for the seat to stay folded down? I know that a lot of SUVs strictly prohibit any second-row seats to be folded when the third row is being used.

NannyMom

Does your vehicle allow for the seat to stay folded down? I know that a lot of SUVs strictly prohibit any second-row seats to be folded when the third row is being used.

Good question. I don't remember it being prohibited. But....I could be wrong. My Manual has gone MIA. Anyone with a 'newer' (mine is 2008) Sienna know?

From a crash perspective.... how would it be any different than removing the seat? The seat is fully attached to the floor of the vehicle just like it would be if the seatback was fully upright. :confused:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC